Notices
Classic Trucks '47-'98 GM Trucks - Performance | Conversions | General Discussion

Let the building begin

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let the building begin

I figured I should probably start up a build thread somewhere. I have mentioned some information here and there, but I haven't really put everything together.

I was building a 83 Malibu Wagon, and through a chain of events (and a friend that turned out to be a thief), I lost my "new" stroker motor and wound up with a pile of junk. I parked the car, and it started rusting. I sold it, but then couldn't stand not having a project.

I had been driving my wife's old car, 94 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L V8 fully optioned. I decided to list it on craigslist for trade and see what would turn up. After looking at several vehicles, and getting some really insulting offers, I found a guy about an hour away that had a truck he was wanting to trade. We met up and I drove the truck home.

Pictures from the AD

It is a 89 GMC 305 5spd truck. It shows a 169K on the dash. The body is pretty straight and clean. The tailgate and back bumper are bent. The clear coat is pealing off. The interior is in good shape except the seat, but is EXTREMELY filthy.

The clutch didn't seem right, so I drove it out to a friends house 2 days after I bought it. We both felt that the throw out bearing was shot. I drove the truck back home. About a mile from the house, I get a loud boom from the floor pan, followed by a lot of rattling. The clutch would no longer release. I drove it on home. A few weeks pass, we decide to put a new clutch in it. We hauled the truck out to a friends business, and 4 of us installed the clutch after hours. After completing the new clutch, we fire the truck to hear the engine knocking.

Now you are up to date

Dragging the truck back home middle of last week.

One of the guys that helped me put the clutch in told me to come out to his house. Upon arriving, he shows me a 350 block bored .060 with 15k on the rotating assembly. It was a running motor. The heads and cam were pulled to put in a stroker motor. The BEST part, he gave it to me, and he is helping me get it together.

We picked up the motor that had been swapped for my stroker motor by the thief. We jerked it apart, and kept the heads. They are MEXICO clones of the 993 castings. A little research show them to be pretty good heads. So I dropped those off to be cleaned up and given a little love. I also have some other goodies stashed away from my malibu build.

So here are the plans

Done
Swap ugly wheels for 80's 15x8 truck ralleys (soon to paint gloss black, no center caps, chrome lugnuts, polish trim rings)

In Process
Waiting for my 03 LQ4 and T56

Future
Long tube headers
Magnaflow Cats
Cherrybomb Extremes w/ full 3 exhaust
Cut the front springs
Pull leaves in the rear until I get the height I want
Drop spindles (hoping for a 4/4 drop)
New shocks
3/4 ton front sway bar
suburban rear sway bar
454ss rear axle
P255/60R15 Front
P295/50R15 Rear
repair cab corner
fill stake pockets
hard bed cover
replace slider for solid rear window
95-99 GMC grille (already had it for my other truck)
Clear front parking lights (already had it for my other truck)
Composite headlight swap
95-99 Mirrors
cowl hood
reverse tailgate handle
black LED taillights
repair a/c
clean interior
swap rubber mat for grey carpet
Bucket Seats
Bedrug
factory color matched repaint

VERY DISTANT FUTURE

Maybe a Turbo

I will keep this first post updated as I go along.

Last edited by cttandy; 12-29-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

09-29-2010 01:30 pm

i picked up my heads, and got some more boxes from summit racing and star performance. It's just like christmas!

New red cap, rotor, coil, rotor, red wire retainer all for hei, red plug wires, new ac delco rs43 plugs, red plug wire looms, valve cover 3 inch stainless straps, chrome water neck, head bolts, stainless steel dress up bolt kit, harmonic balancer, thermostat

think that covers everything

the block has a new high volume pump on it, the truck has a new water pump, i have a unopened box of gaskets at home. Edelbrock highrise intake, rebuilt edelbrock 750 carb. A used but good working hei msd distributor with recently replaced ...electronics, and a few other odds and ends

the double roller timing chain and comp cam 280h cam and lifters will be here tomorrow from alabama
Old 11-04-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

09-29-2010 08:42 PM

Time for some car ****

The once chrome valve covers now sprayed with bedliner and topped with trim spray

My old breather from the Malibu

My swap meet purchased intake

Edelbrock 750 rebuilt and put away this spring

Fuel guage and preasure regulator, tucked away for about 2 years now

Mufflers I will be using

Old 11-04-2010, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

09-30-2010 09:52 pm

This is everything now

Cam and lifters, timing chain, the one spark plug summit forgot, and the wiring plug for the HEI distributor

Pulled the front clip off

Time for some more cleaning and some more painting.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

10-05-2010 10:35 PM

Tonight we got the cam, lifter, timing chain, and heads bolted to the block. No pictures.

Progress will be delayed. A friends Lincoln decided to shed half of it's harmonic balancer. Tomorrow night I will attempting to replace it without tearing the Lincoln completely apart.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

10-17-2010 09:31 PM

I am thinking of just shooting the truck in satin black and leaving it that way. I am not sure I want to paint it back maroon ever.

Got the motor mostly assembled tonight. Wife had the camera doing other things. Hope to set the old motor out this week and start working on the frame.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Update

ZERO prgress

I called and asked my buddy to pick the truck up and pull the motor and trans for me. I have been working tons of over time and working several side jobs.

Hope to see some progress next week.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

hehe looks all to fun, and familiar! gl man
Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang man your alot more done than i had thought..
Old 11-04-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Swerve7rpm2000
hehe looks all to fun, and familiar! gl man
Thanks, hoping for a fun little tool around truck on the cheap.

Quick Reply: Let the building begin