FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

go 90mm TB or go home?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I would love to open a new discussion on this...someone wanna open it up in the tuning section?
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...30#post3368530
Old 06-09-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Holty
I'm really fighting with myself on this decision and wanted to get input from you guys here. I can't decide if i want to do the 90mm TB conversion that WCCH offers or not? My truck is a daily driver and need it to be reliable (within reason). If i go with the 90mm TB am i going to have to do alot of tuning to get it to run right? Also, can i get away with the 42lb injectors i'm running now, or do i have to go with the 60lb injectors? i know those will be a tuning nightmare, even with help from zippy. what would you guys do if you were in my shoes? am i going to see big gains by just going to a 90mm TB?
I just got my WCCH J-Tube earlier this week... bitchin! The quality is superb as to be expected from Richard at WCCH. The powdercoat is perfect and the transistion from the welded billet 90mm adaptor to the casted j-tube looks like someone spent some time in there just like a professional head port job... VERY nice. I found it SO EASY drop shipping a j-tube from Magnuson to Richard and having him hook me up with a full conversion kit. I could just bolt the kit on and call it a day but I think I'll have Xtreme Motorsports do a before and after dyno pull install... and perhaps a cleanup tune (and another pull)... depending on how things go. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 06-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Hello Dave

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
IF I waned to add timing out of the hole, why not just add it in the high octane table? Same question back at you......

but if you notice, I am running -25* out of the hole
I'm with you Brian. It throws another variable into the mix to add timing in IAT correction. I would MUCH rather setup the high octane table to match normal operating range (or launch IAT temp, etc) and just let the IAT correction table modify it when the temps get hot as it was designed to. Will have the same effect as zippy's method, but easier to tune with one less variable to account for at normal operating temp.

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
Josh, I think you need to get that 7% TPS at idle straightened out. Just think of every table that references tps. when you are really 40% as per your the blade, the ecm thinks its 47%.
I wouldn't worry about that. You're likely logging the SAE.TP PID, which is the absolute throttle position, eg the position commanded by the PCM to the throttle body, not the position of the pedal. It's an ETC issue. I regularly see 8-10% with that PID. Try logging the Accelerator Pedal Position PID, GM.APP in EFILive.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by dc_justin
I wouldn't worry about that. You're likely logging the SAE.TP PID, which is the absolute throttle position, eg the position commanded by the PCM to the throttle body, not the position of the pedal. It's an ETC issue. I regularly see 8-10% with that PID. Try logging the Accelerator Pedal Position PID, GM.APP in EFILive.

Eh, HPT here. But that seems to be the general consensus. Tuning is a learning lesson every day for me!
Old 06-09-2006, 10:00 PM

yeh, talking to EC_Tune and few others on HPT and they concur that 7% is normal. No IAC. Again, learn something new everyday. Cool. So there ya go Holty, scratch worrying about that!!!
Old 06-10-2006, 12:16 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by billreid1@***.net
I just got my WCCH J-Tube earlier this week... bitchin! The quality is superb as to be expected from Richard at WCCH. The powdercoat is perfect and the transistion from the welded billet 90mm adaptor to the casted j-tube looks like someone spent some time in there just like a professional head port job... VERY nice. I found it SO EASY drop shipping a j-tube from Magnuson to Richard and having him hook me up with a full conversion kit. I could just bolt the kit on and call it a day but I think I'll have Xtreme Motorsports do a before and after dyno pull install... and perhaps a cleanup tune (and another pull)... depending on how things go. I'll keep you guys posted.

congrats brother
Old 06-10-2006, 05:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by billreid1@***.net

How much is this kit cost shipped? I think our truck needs it!
Old 06-10-2006, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
yeh, talking to EC_Tune and few others on HPT and they concur that 7% is normal. No IAC. Again, learn something new everyday. Cool. So there ya go Holty, scratch worrying about that!!!
Yes it is normal on the ETC trucks. The computer is controlling the idle and that is what you are seeing. I see anywhere between 6-15% on my tahoe and it is basically stock and it is a 2003 5.3L with headers and a CAI and my own tune.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:14 PM
Notorious BIG

Before you guys are installing the 90mm TB are you checking the blade at WOT when stock and then again after the new TB is on? I did, and my 90mm TB is not opening to a full 90 degrees like the stock one did. Just got off the phone with Zippy and we both agree this is an issue, now just have to figure it out.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Holty,

Keep me posted on this please. I noticed the same thing a while back and it was discussed somewhere in here briefly. Mine doesn't go a full 90* either. I have pulled the intake off a C6 and looked at the butterfly position at WOT and there is a slight difference. To me, it appeared that the difference was minor so I dismissed it.

My 90 gets real close to 90* but I can force it with my finger the remaining couple of *.

BTW, the tables in EFI L show it fully open for me.

Quick Reply: go 90mm TB or go home?