FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

go 90mm TB or go home?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by krambo
I don't think this is an issue (TPS). I am reading the same on a warm engine and feel everyone else will be as well with the 90's. If you read your throttle blade position at full throttle, I am sure it will read 99. I am sure others will chime in on this as well. BigTex has similar readings...
i am not saying it's the issue. Just seems really odd to me. I am a cable guy. So if you wireless guys are reading 7% at idle and it's consdered normal, I guess I should say cool and shut the hell up. Just seems really odd and it would drive me nuts. Looking at his logs, when he goes WOT (foot to floor, his trans table says 94% enable) his log says 100% and never deviates. I agree with you on the 99%, most will say 99%, or I should most logs I have looked at that seems to be the case. Mine says 100% most of the time, but I accept that 99 will show sometimes.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:42 AM
High on diesel fumes

If you guys are ETC the throttle is cracked by the PCM to keep the engine idling since there is no idle air bypass....that may be what you are seeing.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:48 AM
Notorious BIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, mine actually does read 100% TPS at WOT according to hpt scanner.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by thunder550
If you guys are ETC the throttle is cracked by the PCM to keep the engine idling since there is no idle air bypass....that may be what you are seeing.
that's what I am guessing, the ETC shows what it is doing at all times. That certainly explain why many see that, and have no ill effects from it.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dewmanshu
i am not saying it's the issue. Just seems really odd to me. I am a cable guy. So if you wireless guys are reading 7% at idle and it's consdered normal, I guess I should say cool and shut the hell up. Just seems really odd and it would drive me nuts. Looking at his logs, when he goes WOT (foot to floor, his trans table says 94% enable) his log says 100% and never deviates. I agree with you on the 99%, most will say 99%, or I should most logs I have looked at that seems to be the case. Mine says 100% most of the time, but I accept that 99 will show sometimes.

Please don't think I am criticizing this analysis. This is a great topic and I was just giving my input. You are adding a great deal of value here,...don't stop and "don't shut the hell up"!!!

Now, the 90's are a parabolic design which does have some air bypass correct? does the ~7% TP make up the difference or is there really an issue here?

Keep the thread alive!
Old 06-09-2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by krambo
Please don't think I am criticizing this analysis. This is a great topic and I was just giving my input. You are adding a great deal of value here,...don't stop and "don't shut the hell up"!!!

Now, the 90's are a parabolic design which does have some air bypass correct? does the ~7% TP make up the difference or is there really an issue here?

Keep the thread alive!
I just don't know, but yeh, it seems that's what's happening with the 90's, or more importantly the ETC. Unless bigtex or some one that would probably know chimes in, I have been searching around on the other forums as well. But apperantly as Holty has brought up, must not be an issue, or somebody would of attacked it by now.

I am still tryingt to find that negative timing thread on ls1. LOL, arghghgh. Nothing comes up for negative timing. I look stupid on that one. Hmmm.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:53 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Holty:
I am willing to bet if you start back with the original Magnuson Calibration and tune from there your results will be better. From the looks of things, you are seeing about 7* of knock retard....that would explain why the truck runs the way it does.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Holty:
I am willing to bet if you start back with the original Magnuson Calibration and tune from there your results will be better. From the looks of things, you are seeing about 7* of knock retard....that would explain why the truck runs the way it does.

I've got to agree as well. The Magnuson tune makes a great baseline. I've also got to give a nod to Zippy's thoughts on the IAT timing tuning. Zippy and I discussed several issues at the end of summer 05 and that was one of them. That contributed greatly to my H2 getting down track as well as it did.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:41 PM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CHarris
I've also got to give a nod to Zippy's thoughts on the IAT timing tuning. Zippy and I discussed several issues at the end of summer 05 and that was one of them. That contributed greatly to my H2 getting down track as well as it did.

I would love to open a new discussion on this...someone wanna open it up in the tuning section?
Old 06-09-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did some work with the 90mm part throttle tuning Wednsday night and ran into the same issue. With just the simple swap the shift points at part throttle were way off. I'll be fixing Holty's this weekend. I tested it though on a Silverado SS that we put an LS2 intake and 90mm throttle body on.

Quick Reply: go 90mm TB or go home?