Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

tuning for stall converter

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 05:00 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts
Default tuning for stall converter

i just put brand new 4l60e and a trailblazer stall in my truck. it brake stalls up to 2500 and i have no clue how to flash it or whatever yall call it i ran g-tech and it cut .18 off of my last best g-tech time(which is incredibly innacurate )

heres the questions:
1)can tuning for the stall converter make my times even better?

2)is it alright if i run the Trailblazer stall with nelsons tuning for the factory stall?

3)do i NEED to put a new corvette servo in soon to save the transmission from any damage? the last transmission had a vette servo in it but the new one dosent yet. will that hurt anything since its tuned for the servo?

4)i got the truck with the vette servo already installed... does the servo take away this NASTY squishy feeling 1-2 shift. allen already took out 70% TM and bumped up the line pressure. before it would bark 1-2 and stick you in your seat...now it seems to gliiiide into second and leave you unsatisfied. could that squishy shift be part of the new feeling of the higher stall?

Sorry about all of the dumb questions. all this tuning talk is greek to me so try and dummy it down a bit for me
Old 12-05-2005, 05:58 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
i just put brand new 4l60e and a trailblazer stall in my truck. it brake stalls up to 2500 and i have no clue how to flash it or whatever yall call it i ran g-tech and it cut .18 off of my last best g-tech time(which is incredibly innacurate )

heres the questions:
1)can tuning for the stall converter make my times even better?

2)is it alright if i run the Trailblazer stall with nelsons tuning for the factory stall?

3)do i NEED to put a new corvette servo in soon to save the transmission from any damage? the last transmission had a vette servo in it but the new one dosent yet. will that hurt anything since its tuned for the servo?

4)i got the truck with the vette servo already installed... does the servo take away this NASTY squishy feeling 1-2 shift. allen already took out 70% TM and bumped up the line pressure. before it would bark 1-2 and stick you in your seat...now it seems to gliiiide into second and leave you unsatisfied. could that squishy shift be part of the new feeling of the higher stall?

Sorry about all of the dumb questions. all this tuning talk is greek to me so try and dummy it down a bit for me

Ok lets see
1.Yes
2.Yes
3.Why not? It helps with question 4, and only cost a few bucks. Its easy to do once you get the old one out (at least thats the hardest part on a 4x4) but no, it shouldnt hurt anything
4.Yes that could very much be the problem. The vette sertvo crispens (look I made a new word again ) up the 1-2 shift, and the tune is set to shift at a slightly lower pressure more than likely, cause its looking for the mechanical advantage of the larger serface area.

Id call allen and verify this, but I would think a Vette servo would be a definate upgrade, and probably fix the 1-2 slugginess (is that a new word too?)
Old 12-05-2005, 07:22 PM

thanks for the answers. im guna find a vette servo here soon and wait for the install of my LT headers before i bother allen with another retune. oh, and you made up no new words. ive used them both in the past
Old 12-05-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah my shifts have softened up a bit since installing the TB stall. I used to be able to bark 2nd most of the time but not anymore.
I haven't gone back a readjusted the shifts yet.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes the vette servo would definately help in the 1-2 shift... mine was the same before the vette servo, it wouldnt actually give you that bump when it would shift, it would just like roll you into the shift... after the vette servo you could definately tell the shift....
Old 12-06-2005, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by ap2002
yes the vette servo would definately help in the 1-2 shift... mine was the same before the vette servo, it wouldnt actually give you that bump when it would shift, it would just like roll you into the shift... after the vette servo you could definately tell the shift....
thats what i was hoping to hear. im not used to this roll into gear crap. im used to it slammin in there....which is probably why the transmission is in a trashcan somewhere
Old 12-06-2005, 01:14 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vette servo is awesome for what you are tlaking about. I can get it installed inlcuding parts for 50 bucks if you need it.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:06 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

$50 Ill do it for a case of beer and parts. Hell I'd probably do it for a 12 pack. Just dont know when I'll be in H town.