Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Shifting issues after high stall converter install

Old 07-20-2015, 04:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting issues after high stall converter install

As the title suggests I am experiencing shifting issues after a high stall converter install. It a 3200 circle D purchased from a forum member. From what i can tell i did install the converter correctly, seated correctly, 1/8" converter to flex-plate clearance, no excessive heat, no CEL but the transmission does not want to come out of what seems like 1st gear. Truck was shifting fine before the install and relative 'okay' after the install but has been throwing this tantrum since this past Saturday. I have date set up to get the shift points and overall transmission tuned in the coming weeks from my local tuner (did a great job with the turbos), but would like to drive the truck until then. Truck is a 2007 Silverado 4x4 5.3 with some boost. Any and all suggestions are helpful, as the tuner is 30 miles away and i can only get to 45 MPH at 6000 RPM.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phantom code. Plug a scan tool in while driving and just send an erase command. I bet it will upshift right away.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
Phantom code. Plug a scan tool in while driving and just send an erase command. I bet it will upshift right away.
No dice on that my friend. I'm going to swap the converter that came out back in and see what happens. Still no codes for anything.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you get a scanner on it to manually command the gears and see what happens? How did the fluid in the converter look prior to install? Might be worth it to pull pan and see if there is any debris there.

Chris
Old 07-21-2015, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Unfortunately I do not have a scanner with that capability, but i did notice something today while driving it. After verifying that all powers and grounds were good and fluid level was solid (no burnt smell) and still no CEL even after the 30 minuets.
Give it throttle. Get up to 45 mph at 6000 RPM and then i decide to manually shift it on deceleration, 3rd (can feel a faint down shift), 2nd (even more noticeable down shift)...about 30 MPH at this point...1st (VERY noticeable downshift, engine slows the truck down). At this point i think the Stator in the converter is frozen up.

I'm going to check out the following in the next couple of days:
1. If fu#ked up the install and check the converter to flywheel distance again and shim again if needed
2. Tear that pan off and check for any debris and test solenoids.
3. work on changing the converter/trans based on what i find.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:58 AM
Former Vendor

I don't think it is stator related, even with a locked stator it would feel totally normal on takeoff and shift fine. If you have a pressure gauge, you can check main line pressure. This will tell you if the pump is working good and eliminate a clearance issue. What happens if you manually upshift? Can you feel any shift?

Make sure you did not pinch any wires on install, have seen the harness get caught up in the bellhousing and short out causing some weird stuff.

And how did the converter fluid look, did you had a chance to drain it some before install.

Chris
Old 07-22-2015, 09:36 AM
Teching In

The trany bad my friends. Only 80psi of pressure, regardless of RPM. Looks like it's time to order a transmission, any suggestions? Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Former Vendor

Ouch, that is not good. We can cut and clean that converter for you, just give us a shout.

Chris
Old 07-22-2015, 11:59 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that... What a tough break.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LCHEE
Unfortunately ….
Originally Posted by Circle-D
I don't think it is stator related…Chris
I always hate these type of posts. Some good information, unfortunate issues going on here, and then nothing. It never culminates so others whom are having the same issue get to know what happened.

And always stand up service by @Circle-D

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifting issues after high stall converter install