Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Passing Emissions & Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Passing Emissions & Tuning

I'm not able to pass emissions. My evap an o2 readiness have been not ready for some time. I've attempted passing emissions two times.

Can someone comment on my linked tune. I've set most (I think) related DTCs to "NO ERROR REPORTED".

HP Tuners file link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pTj...ew?usp=sharing

My relevant mods:
- No rear O2 sensors
- No cats in the ypipe
- Long tube headers

Overall I've gathered:
- Readiness checks can be strange combos of heat cycles, miles, tank fuel level (for evap), etc....
- Don't clear DTCs right before emissions testing
- Don't flash a new tune randomly before an emissions test.
- Supposedly you can flash a tune with the right combo of DTCs set to "NO ERROR REPORTED" for the sole purpose of passing emissions. This will immediately set ALL readiness checks to "READY".
* Does anyone know what these DTCs to set are?

I rented a tool to help. Evap and O2 are not ready. Heated O2, cat, etc are ok.
Passing Emissions & Tuning-lvi7k10.png

Here is a pic of my emissions report.
Passing Emissions & Tuning-w5rbcoh.png

Old 09-24-2018, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

The readiness tests will stop once a code is detected.

Do whatever you need to do to repair anything causing a code then try to get it to go through relearn.

EVAP is tricky, the best way is to have it between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of fuel and start the vehicle after it sat overnight and let it warm up fully while idling from cold.

I've come across a couple of GM vehicles that just would not go ready and nothing I did made it work. Called a buddy that worked for GM and he said there was an issue with that and it was a computer fault. If you're running into that check with your state on what you can do to get a pass on the inspection. Here in texas if you have some odd circumstances or have spent a certain amount of money trying to get the vehicle to pass and it still wont they will give you a pass/inspection
Old 09-24-2018, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
The readiness tests will stop once a code is detected.

Do whatever you need to do to repair anything causing a code then try to get it to go through relearn.

EVAP is tricky, the best way is to have it between 1/4 and 3/4 tank of fuel and start the vehicle after it sat overnight and let it warm up fully while idling from cold.

I've come across a couple of GM vehicles that just would not go ready and nothing I did made it work. Called a buddy that worked for GM and he said there was an issue with that and it was a computer fault. If you're running into that check with your state on what you can do to get a pass on the inspection. Here in texas if you have some odd circumstances or have spent a certain amount of money trying to get the vehicle to pass and it still wont they will give you a pass/inspection
Good to know about evap. I'll give that a shot.

I have no rear o2 sensors. I'm not throwing any DTCs because of my tune. Still I can't get the emissions to report ready.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

If you still have the rear o2 sensor, try just plugging them back in and tie them out of the way. Maybe because the circuit is open the readiness test won't go away.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FFDP
If you still have the rear o2 sensor, try just plugging them back in and tie them out of the way. Maybe because the circuit is open the readiness test won't go away.
Good idea.

Are the rear O2 heated? I dont want to melt something important.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

If you disable the rear 02's and tune out codes it's a non issue.

If there was an issue due to them being unplugged there would be codes, are there any codes? If so readiness will not go through.

I've gone with rear 02's unplugged before without issue so that shouldn't be the case. And I also deleted the EGR and air injection and all those components were gone and unplugged too. If you plug in the rear 02's and they don't read then you'll have rear 02 activity codes. If you didn't tune them out properly with them unplugged you'll get circuit codes.

If there are no codes none of this is an issue, shouldn't be.
The following users liked this post:
tgui (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tgui
Good idea.

Are the rear O2 heated? I dont want to melt something important.
Yes they are

Edit: I don't even know what you're working on but they should be if you're working on anything from within the last 20 some odd years. 4 wire sensors are heated sensors.
The following users liked this post:
tgui (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 03:42 PM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just took a look at my tune that passed emissions and I have everything related to the O2 sensors set to No Error Reported. So set P0030 through P0060, P0131 through P0161, P1133, P1153, and P2270 through P2273 to No Error Reported and see if it passes readiness.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:48 PM
Laid Back

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure if they do anything, but have you tried setting these to Disabled?
Old 09-25-2018, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Beatdown Z
Not sure if they do anything, but have you tried setting these to Disabled?
I did, they didnt work for ready tests. Just shut off check engine lights and codes.

Quick Reply: Passing Emissions & Tuning