Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Passing Emissions & Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

That's because Pat insinuated that I am special in this thread.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:00 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

Dammm it might just be easier moving to SC... we're a red state, have no emissions and eat fried squirrels
Old 10-03-2018, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by RedXray
Dammm it might just be easier moving to SC... we're a red state, have no emissions and eat fried squirrels
Many counties in VA don't have emissions. But technically you would need a cat to pass safety inspection anywhere in the state though. I have cats on my truck and on my car. Both vehicles get failed and passed depending on the inspector. Both vehicles have 0 codes, pass all readiness, and zero cheats/hacks.

The car has an extra O2 bung that gets me failed even though I can show all factory sensors in place. I have to plug in a dummy sensor and make it look like it goes somewhere. Some inspectors will fail me saying I have extra sensors. When it is plugged in. When I cap it I get failed because I am missing sensors. The car has a cat. Some inspectors will say it isn't factory so you get failed. Some will say that cat doesn't count because it is a racing cat. Some will say oh well you need two of them. Some inspectors will just not pass aftermarket exhaust for whatever reason.

One guy tried to fail my truck because he saw a fleck of soot at a joint in the exhaust and said it leaks. Usually the truck doesn't get picked on as much as the car. The truck also has extra O2 bungs though. One time I did get failed because it is an SUV and the pipe has to physically go past the bumper and mine was a couple inches too short. The guy said exhaust could build up under the vehicle and kill me. This same dumb *** was running the truck in a garage with all bays closed because it was cold (during the winter).
Old 10-03-2018, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Many counties in VA don't have emissions. But technically you would need a cat to pass safety inspection anywhere in the state though. I have cats on my truck and on my car. Both vehicles get failed and passed depending on the inspector. Both vehicles have 0 codes, pass all readiness, and zero cheats/hacks.

The car has an extra O2 bung that gets me failed even though I can show all factory sensors in place. I have to plug in a dummy sensor and make it look like it goes somewhere. Some inspectors will fail me saying I have extra sensors. When it is plugged in. When I cap it I get failed because I am missing sensors. The car has a cat. Some inspectors will say it isn't factory so you get failed. Some will say that cat doesn't count because it is a racing cat. Some will say oh well you need two of them. Some inspectors will just not pass aftermarket exhaust for whatever reason.

One guy tried to fail my truck because he saw a fleck of soot at a joint in the exhaust and said it leaks. Usually the truck doesn't get picked on as much as the car. The truck also has extra O2 bungs though. One time I did get failed because it is an SUV and the pipe has to physically go past the bumper and mine was a couple inches too short. The guy said exhaust could build up under the vehicle and kill me. This same dumb *** was running the truck in a garage with all bays closed because it was cold (during the winter).

Time to find a friend.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:31 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,331 Likes on 793 Posts

Wow Virginia is getting to be like Commieforina.

When I was in NC quite a few years ago I was failed for co2 levels on an old 318 Chrysler Cordoba. Was told maybe an oil change would help. The next test it was better but still failed. Got home and loosened the carburetor and pinched a broken off butter knife, hidden between the carb and manifold. On the drive to the station it would barely run with it sucking so much air leaning out the mixture. Pulled it in, the tech put the sniffer in the tailpipe (yeah that long ago) looked at his readings with a frown. He proceeded to check all the vacuum hoses for the conspicuous leak. The motor was shaking the whole car as I had my fingers crossed. Rolling his eyes applying the new sticker to the glass "I think you may have a vacuum leak"

Last edited by RedXray; 10-03-2018 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelli'n
Old 10-04-2018, 05:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by tgui
I'll have everyone know I failed spectacularly. While all monitors were good to go, they looked too close at my long tubes and after market cat setup. My emissions inspection was more intimate than a prostate exam. They put my Yukon on a lift to fully inspect! My stock ypipe and cats were toast so a new one is in the mail. Back to stock for a short while.

Ahh well, its the game we play!

That's crazy, i'd try another shop before putting tons of work in. I've worked in shops for 20 years and never seen an inspector go that hard. Most do it the laziest way possible.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:56 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

California is the strict state in the united states on smog laws. A lot of other States are adopting California smog laws.

Take a closer look at the rules in your state. In california, a technician may not put the vehicle on a lift to inspect it for emissions equipment. It has to be inspected just as its driven in. They are allowed to use mirrors to see under it and around the engine. But they can not put it on a hoist to do so.

Now that you failed and your flagged in the system with modified parts, your basically already screwed any way.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Oklahoma. Probably the reddest state in the union. No inspections of any kind. 100% gas at almost every station. Muffler shops that will cut your cats off without a second thought. Chicken Fried Steak the Official State entree.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
California is the strict state in the united states on smog laws. A lot of other States are adopting California smog laws.

Take a closer look at the rules in your state. In california, a technician may not put the vehicle on a lift to inspect it for emissions equipment. It has to be inspected just as its driven in. They are allowed to use mirrors to see under it and around the engine. But they can not put it on a hoist to do so.

Now that you failed and your flagged in the system with modified parts, your basically already screwed any way.

Aaaaaactually he asked if I wanted to be failed so the "guy" I bought my yukon from would be forced to fix it. *cough* I said noooo thanks.

Header removal takes me an hour. Same for putting stock manifolds and ypipe in. I needed an excuse to swap out my poly engine mounts that my wife hates anyways. Much easier without manifolds in.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:29 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by tgui
Aaaaaactually he asked if I wanted to be failed so the "guy" I bought my yukon from would be forced to fix it. *cough* I said noooo thanks.

Header removal takes me an hour. Same for putting stock manifolds and ypipe in. I needed an excuse to swap out my poly engine mounts that my wife hates anyways. Much easier without manifolds in.
Sounds like you lucked out then. If a vehicle shows failed smog, It can lower resale value later on . It can also make trade in value less.

Quick Reply: Passing Emissions & Tuning