Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

60# Mototron Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 60# Mototron Tuning

No real questions at this point. Figured I'd just do a thread to vent in as I go with this tuning project.

For those that don't know. I installed the injectors a couple weeks back. Updated all the injector tables with good base information found here and there. Turned on closed loop LTFT's and drove it back and forth to a couple shows. It actually ran okay. The last trip out I opened it up and it went pig rich. A good indication of it running overall lean and the fuel trims correction (LTFT's) adding to the WOT (PE) making it rich.

So I've had it in the garage since. Updated the tune back to open loop. Just idling it was 10% + lean. I've found a couple issues with fuel pressure and corrected them and digging into the tune. I've spent probably a couple hours with the truck just sitting and idling and trying a couple things. To be honest up until today I have been completely frustrated. My VE had been pretty close before so I had in mind to get it (AFR) close by changing nothing but injector tables. It was going no where.

Today I bumped up the VE by about 7%. It started falling in line. Saw the Drive/Park differences I've read several post about. Between D/P I was in different VE cells. Only difference so tuning that VE cell fixed that. Under a little load in Park I was going rich, Only different cells being seen then were in the SPA table. A few tweaks there and it all fell in pretty close.

This is about a 10 minute scan of idle in park, in gear, AC on, AC off, in gear with just a little throttle. No where near done yet but at least I'm seeing results. I still am not confident I'm going about it right. But hey at least I'm smiling a little bit now.

I also saw some of the strange stuff some have mentioned about the voltage changes. Although I didn't see the voltage reading in the scanner change, if I turned on the headlights I would go about .2 lean, turn them back off and it would fall back to stoich. Weird... anyway I'm swapping out my ground wire to something larger also to help stablalize system voltage.

Last edited by KySilverado; 06-21-2008 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:48 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stable voltage sounds like a solid plan Roger
Old 06-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Admin

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts

Ahhhhh the memories are coming back.... DAMN YOU!!!!! I dont want them back.. haha

Try doing it on a returnless fuel system with 62psi idle pressure.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was so close to buying the 60lb Mototron's in fact I still have the Multech to EV1 adapters. I read that a few were having issues tuning them so I decided against it. I went with custom made Plug 'n Play 60lb Multech's instead.

Here is the thread about the injectors I used.
https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=416134
Old 06-21-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 03sierraslt
Ahhhhh the memories are coming back.... DAMN YOU!!!!! I dont want them back.. haha

Try doing it on a returnless fuel system with 62psi idle pressure.
Now that I understand it a little better I did think about how much easier this should be on a return system. Your thread on HPT is a great source of info. Thanks for that!
Old 06-21-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SRT10KLLR
I was so close to buying the 60lb Mototron's in fact I still have the Multech to EV1 adapters. I read that a few were having issues tuning them so I decided against it. I went with custom made Plug 'n Play 60lb Multech's instead.

Here is the thread about the injectors I used.
Yeah something easier would be nice. I am still amazed that with the number of these Mototrons being sold there still aren't solid numbers out there for them yet. I don't think tuning these things would be any problem to a pro. It's in the hands of guys like me that are giving them a bad name.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:05 AM
Former Vendor

Yes, the good tuners can run these with no problems but it's kind of like giving out cam specs if you know what I mean.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't have any info for you...but I am wondering about my motron 60's as my tuner and I are having a hard time figuring out why the LTFT's are maxed out. They truck thinks its lean and it's dumping a sh$% ton of fuel in at idle. I have found no signs of a vacuum leak. Are these injectors just super finiky(SP?) or what?
Old 06-22-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bpope
I don't have any info for you...but I am wondering about my motron 60's as my tuner and I are having a hard time figuring out why the LTFT's are maxed out. They truck thinks its lean and it's dumping a sh$% ton of fuel in at idle. I have found no signs of a vacuum leak. Are these injectors just super finiky(SP?) or what?
Well I wouldn't call them finicky. The injectors themselves are responding well. It's just a matter of resolution. You have some big holes sitting between 58PSI of fuel pressure and the intake. Small changes can make big differences in the amount of fuel they deliver. Especially at idle.

Last edited by KySilverado; 06-22-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bpope
Also keep in mind too much fuel will put you in a lean reading...the fuel is still fuel as it goes thru the exhaust. The sensors doesn't see fuel.

Quick Reply: 60# Mototron Tuning