Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

4L60E to T56 tune, where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Segment swaps are done to the tune itself...by Hptuners support staff. I think you can do it yourself with EFI live.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1969x11
Segment swaps are done to the tune itself...by Hptuners support staff. I think you can do it yourself with EFI live.
Then how come an F-body T56 and a Silverado 4L60E tune look identical in terms of the available options/settings?

Does it cost credits? I still haven't gotten either software yet, still trying to figure out which would be more cost effective for my needs. If EFILive can do this without any additional cost then that sounds good.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

No it doesnt cost credits with HPT and they get it done pretty quick. Only thing is the operating systems must match.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Anyone? Is a segment swap something that's done in the tune, or physically done to the PCM?
It's done with the files within the tune. If you look at EFI Live and you see the table that tells you the Operating system for the engine,transmission, and so on. Notice it is labeled Segments at the top. What your doing is taking 1 of those files contained within and swapping it with one from another tune file.

With EFI Live you can do it your self.

With HP tuners you have to send 2 files to there support team and they will do it for you. As mentioned they have to match. This is usually within 1 business day from what I understand.

Neither company charges you for this.

You only get charged when you go to flash the file into the ECU. It's a 1 time license charged at the initial flash. Once you flash it, you can re flash with your cable as many times as you would like. The licenses stays with your cable. They are not stored in the computer.

From a tuning stand point, both software's accomplish the same thing. So from there it's just a matter of which software you find easier to use.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
It's done with the files within the tune. If you look at EFI Live and you see the table that tells you the Operating system for the engine,transmission, and so on. Notice it is labeled Segments at the top. What your doing is taking 1 of those files contained within and swapping it with one from another tune file.

With EFI Live you can do it your self.

With HP tuners you have to send 2 files to there support team and they will do it for you. As mentioned they have to match. This is usually within 1 business day from what I understand.

Neither company charges you for this.

You only get charged when you go to flash the file into the ECU. It's a 1 time license charged at the initial flash. Once you flash it, you can re flash with your cable as many times as you would like. The licenses stays with your cable. They are not stored in the computer.

From a tuning stand point, both software's accomplish the same thing. So from there it's just a matter of which software you find easier to use.
Is there more to a "segment" that just the settings that are available to change? For example, could I manually transfer (copy & paste) all of the transmission calibration and diagnostics values from a T56 F-body into a 4L60E truck tune? Would the tune effectively become a manual tune but still have the auto transmission calibration/diagnostics ID?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Is there more to a "segment" that just the settings that are available to change? For example, could I manually transfer (copy & paste) all of the transmission calibration and diagnostics values from a T56 F-body into a 4L60E truck tune? Would the tune effectively become a manual tune but still have the auto transmission calibration/diagnostics ID?
As far As I know you could But I have never done it that way. It might be a better question to ask on the EFILive forum were a more experienced user could answer. I am sure there a other options within the tune that would need to be changed as well like the trans diagnostics.