Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

4L60E to T56 tune, where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 4L60E to T56 tune, where to start?

My truck has been mail-tuned for the T56 swap but I do not know what the tuner did exactly other than turn off some DTC's. I would like to start fresh with HPTuners and tune it myself. Some research suggests that it would be best to start with a manual F-body tune. Or do a T56 segment swap. What is a "segment swap"?

Which way would be best/easiest? The truck will also be getting a turbo kit very soon. Not sure yet if I want to stay with the MAF or go 2-bar SD.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

A segment swap is were they take a segment of the tune and swap it into another complete tune. Like the transmission portion of the tune from a complete tune file and added it to another tune file.

Like when someone swaps a 4L60E to a 4L80E.

Or if some one adds a 6.0 when they originally had a 4.8. They can over write there original file with a 6.0 file for a better start on tuning.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
A segment swap is were they take a segment of the tune and swap it into another complete tune. Like the transmission portion of the tune from a complete tune file and added it to another tune file.

Like when someone swaps a 4L60E to a 4L80E.

Or if some one adds a 6.0 when they originally had a 4.8. They can over write there original file with a 6.0 file for a better start on tuning.
Makes sense. Is there a segment swap "button", or do I have to transfer the settings one piece at a time?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like it would be easier to start with a stock tune for my truck and use an F-body T56 segment? I notice there are many tables and settings in the engine portion of the tune that vary by gear/park/neutral/reverse. Would these be changed by using a T56 segment?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Makes sense. Is there a segment swap "button", or do I have to transfer the settings one piece at a time?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like it would be easier to start with a stock tune for my truck and use an F-body T56 segment? I notice there are many tables and settings in the engine portion of the tune that vary by gear/park/neutral/reverse. Would these be changed by using a T56 segment?
You can not do that yourself with HPT. You have to send them the file to HPT support and they will do it for you. I am not sure on there capabilities between a Truck and an F-body tunes.

It can be done with EFI Live by the end user.

I have never messed with a T56 car or even looked at the Tune for that matter. But I can imagine there are several difference in the Idle, spark, and fuel tabels.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
You can not do that yourself with HPT. You have to send them the file to HPT support and they will do it for you. I am not sure on there capabilities between a Truck and an F-body tunes.

It can be done with EFI Live by the end user.

I have never messed with a T56 car or even looked at the Tune for that matter. But I can imagine there are several difference in the Idle, spark, and fuel tabels.
Is there an additional cost for them to do this? Or does it cost credits? I still haven't gotten HPT yet, and could very well go with EFILive instead if it's more geared towards what I need.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For mine I'm still running the A4 tune, no segment just disabled torque management and all of the A4 DTCs.

Truck runs fine, has a slight shudder down low and it isn't 100% but it is very close. Also when you really rev it out and shove the clutch in the engine free revs for a short time, but it's inspiration for me to shift faster

I boosted the idle to 875 and found it works great as a stall saver. I don't have to use much throttle off the line to get it rolling.

I'm set on keeping the A4 tune in the PCM, since flashing to a manual or segmenting a manual will result in my trans temp gauge not working. I put a coolant temp sensor in the drain plug so I can view my T56 temps.

I think doing AutoVE AutoMAF AutoWhatever (EFILive) will get the AFR closer and hopefully remove the shudder. Once that is sorted out I can get the timing where it needs to be since I know there are differences in the manual/auto in the timing department.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you should try the mail-order first. i never had a problem with running the a4 tune with my t56,like others said we just turned off the dtc's and tuned the engine. I'm not saying dont buy software...just not worth the hassle to do a t56 segment swap when what you have will suffice.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1969x11
I think you should try the mail-order first. i never had a problem with running the a4 tune with my t56,like others said we just turned off the dtc's and tuned the engine. I'm not saying dont buy software...just not worth the hassle to do a t56 segment swap when what you have will suffice.
Thanks for the tip. There is much tuning to do other than the T56 swap, a turbo is on the way. The base T56 tune is just something I want to start with as a good base to begin tuning the other things.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can someone explain to me how a tune with a T56 segment and one with a 4L60E segment differ? With the EFILive demo, I have looked through a stock T56 f-body tune and a stock 4L60E silverado tune, and they look identical, same options/parameters for everything. The values vary obviously, but the f-body tune still has option to vary settings by gear/park/neutral.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you had Hptuners I would send you the t56 tune I had in my truck. Now I'm having a tough time finding an 80e segment for this truck.

Quick Reply: 4L60E to T56 tune, where to start?