THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

why are parts store workers idiots

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 AM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redsled579
I work in a family owned auto parts store / garage and I hate when people bash counter guys for not knowing everything about every car that came off the assembly line.. You are supposed to know everything from how to adjust points to reprogramming passlock with a replacement pcm and be paid less than the dumbass taking $20 off of you to turn the gas pump on. The shop is even worse with people trying to stop our hourly tech's and ask them how to fix theier car, and then go somewhere else and buy the parts!
If that was the sole problem, then yeah I could see your point. I'm talking about the guy who can't look up a fitting by size, he needs to know what vehicle it comes on. When you tell them it's a custom application and won't be in their system, their heads explode. I've asked for a SPECIFIC PART NUMBER before, and there have been guys who can't help me because they can't look up which vehicle it's on. You can't honestly tell me that someone like that belongs behind the counter of a parts store.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeBrakeIH
I had this happen to me the other day...went to get a serpt. belt and told the guy I had the 145 amp alternator and he said no they didnt come in that year and I was mistaken...lol I just laughed and said please just give me the other belt...same when u call the dealer and they ask for the vin...I wanted to get 2wd ubolts and obviously the vin tells him that my truck is 4wd and hes like it wont work and this that and the other thing...I do understand he was trying to help but when u try to explain what your trying to do they tell you it wont work...again thats when I just ask them please to order it for me!...
lmao, thats always a good time. Im just glad all the 6.0 and 5.3 stuff is interchangable, try telling them your 01 1/2 ton has a 6.0. :whyme:
Old 09-16-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

for a belt i just ask them for a camaro.. had one kid i went in and asked for a nitrous relay. had it layin there. he asked what vehicle.. i just laughed.. i just asked him to look and see if he has the relay and he said he has to know what vehicle it came in
Old 09-16-2008, 11:36 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I went in the other day to get a gasket for my exhaust cut-out. Found some on the shelf but decided to ask chick behind the counter, figured they may have some in the back that were better. So I proceed to ask her, and she says "What kind of vehicle"
I say "No, no, this isnt OEM, its just a gasket for exhaust cut out"
She replies "What is it on"
I say "Its a S10, but wont be on the computer"
She starts getting mad and says "Sir what year is it"
I chuckle and tell her everything she wants to know, She kinda asks what section it would be under after she cant find it. But I act like I dont know, then finally tell her n/m, I can use the one I found. It was to bad to, she was cute.
________
Volcano vaporizer 300

Last edited by A Low Dime; 09-02-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haha this reminds me i bought some spark plugs for the toyota and when he finally got them from the back he pulled one out holding the top and bottom, so all i could see was the white and he said "do these look like the ones you have" and i had a little laugh and walked away lol.