THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

High School Skill's USA Competition, Need Advice and More advice please (Pic)

Old 03-03-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High School Skill's USA Competition, Need Advice and More advice please (Pic)

I was hoping to get some advice on wether or not the competition was rigged. If you don't know, I attended a Skills USA regional competition for High School students in Moultrie, GA. I competed in Automotive Technology. I won 2nd Place. I will be going to Atlanta GA to compete in State Competition . However I would like to hear some input on this subject that worries me. The 1st Place winner seems very old and I thought he was an instructor. He was always talking to the Instructor of the Automotive department. He had a Moultrie Tech. Shirt on too. It appears to me that he is NOT a High School student. Here is a pic of me 2nd place and the other pic of me and the 1st place winner. Sort of blurry, but he doesn't look like a High School student to me. What are your thoughts on this? If most of you have my viewpoint on it, I need to contact Skills USA directly to get this resolved or to question it at least. Pics-
ME 2nd place (white shirt dirty jeans)-

Me and the 1st place winner

I also question this because of the Technical student's comments to me. We had 8 stations of work to do and a written test. I scored a 100% on the written test, I performed changing brake pads "perfectly" quoted the guy watching me and in half the time limit. I was told I was the only one to name all drum brake parts correctly. The only one who soldered a wire correctly, etc. Please give your thoughts on this.

On another note. I was wondering if any of you all know what I should expect for the State competition? Have any of you all competed in a state auto-tech competition for Skills usa before? I know a certain part is a vehicle will not run or not run well and you have x amount of time to fix it. However what is the complexity of this? Is it, a disconnected battery, incorrectly gapped plugs and bad wires? Or something as of a bad fuel pump, faulty coil, Broken valve springs, loose rocker arms, etc? I want to be prepared as possible for this. I know I have the skills and knowledge to win. I take the competition seriousely as for it may land me a job if I make it to nationals. A lot of employers are present seeking a employee. Thanks all.
Philip S.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

In my opinion, he doesn't look like a HS student. I'd do a little research to be 100% first though before you make any claims to Skills USA. Good luck with the competition bro, you should put a PT.net sticker on your shirts!
Old 03-03-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how big is that guy . J/K. I would definatly look into it. If you deserve 1st place then you shoud have it. He looks about 25!
Old 03-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Destroyer of Transmissions

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He looks young enough to be a high school student, if he failed 2 or 3 grades. He could be 21-21 and still be in school.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

challenge it that fat dude looks older than high school age
Old 03-03-2006, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

Keep the replies coming, I appreciate everyone's opinion on this.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tan327
IGood luck with the competition bro, you should put a PT.net sticker on your shirts!
Thanks man. Hey Mods, think I could get a free PT.net shirt to wear at State Competition? It'd be good advertising.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, that guy sure does NOT look like a HS student. I would definitely investigate this. It sounds like you know ALOT about automotive technology and maintenance, especially for your age. I wish you good luck at the state competition in Atlanta and other competitions in the future. You certainly have a bright technician future ahead of you! Anyways, that guy with the dark blue shirt needs to cut his hair...how do you work with all that?
Old 03-03-2006, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackLM7
LOL, that guy sure does NOT look like a HS student. I would definitely investigate this. It sounds like you know ALOT about automotive technology and maintenance, especially for your age. I wish you good luck at the state competition in Atlanta and other competitions in the future. You certainly have a bright technician future ahead of you! Anyways, that guy with the dark blue shirt needs to cut his hair...how do you work with all that?
Thanks for the kind words man. I will def. Investigate this. Yeah that guy has a lot of hair.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Teching In

I agree, he doesn't look like a high school guy but I know when I was in high school there was a guy that looked like that. The guy looked at least 30 so you can never tell. I also had a friend in the 7th grade that had a full beard (I think he was a freak of nature and no he wasn't held back) so it is hard to tell these days. Do some investigating and see what you can find out. I hate cheaters. Anyways congrats on second place that is still a great accomplishment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High School Skill's USA Competition, Need Advice and More advice please (Pic)