THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Going back into the Salvage industry

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going back into the Salvage industry

Before I took over my Dad's computer business, I was doing internet sales for a friend's auto salvage yard. I had been doing it successfully for 3 years when I left.

Now after several years of struggling to keep a computer shop open in a failing economy, I have given up. I am not closing my business, but I am closing my retail store front.

I was talking to my buddy, and he suggested I come back to work for him. Really no surprise, he has been begging me for 5 years to come work at their new salvage yard. We sat down and discussed it. The conclusion is, I am going back. I will be a part time counter salesman and full time internet sales. It will be 2 separate jobs.

I will still be servicing my commercial computer clients. Many have become friends through the years, and I can't just leave them out to dry.

Looks like I will be working 2 full time and 1 part time job now. But the great news is I will still have a good bit of freedom to do whatever I want.

Signed the papers on a new house Friday. I will be nice to have some steady income coming.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Right on! I hope all works out well for you! thats a bit of a career change for sure.

-Kenny
Old 10-21-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks

I had a friend that was murdered several years ago. He managed their salvage yard. I was hired to come in, figure everything our for them and get the yard back up and running. It took me about a year to figure everything out, and the next 2 to really pump up the sales. It was a pretty drastic change for me after working on computers my whole life.

Even though I went back into the computer business, I never really let go of the auto industry. People still call me at my computer shop looking for car parts. There has been a lot to change since I left, so I will have to figure out the new stuff for sure.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 766 Likes on 634 Posts

The biggest issue as of late is the rising prices of salvaged vehicles.

I can't believe what people are willing to pay on some of these salvaged vehicles, Not just what they bid but the after cost like auction fees and shipping.

Unfortunately in a down economy some of our 2nd and 3rd world countries will pay through the nose to get stuff. The stuff we just threw away and let go of, suddenly becomes much more valuable...
Old 10-21-2014, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Yes sir. Core prices have gone down, but individual parts have shot through the roof.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to work the counter in a salvage yard about 15 years ago. I loved the job and the people, but I make much more money now. They always ask me to come back, and I really miss it. I can't disagree about the prices of stuff. I have really been looking for a parts truck that would have the stuff to make my truck AWD, but cant touch one for under 2500, and that is totaled. 15 years ago I think we were getting $47/ton for scrap cars. Lol
Old 10-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 766 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I used to work the counter in a salvage yard about 15 years ago. I loved the job and the people, but I make much more money now. They always ask me to come back, and I really miss it. I can't disagree about the prices of stuff. I have really been looking for a parts truck that would have the stuff to make my truck AWD, but cant touch one for under 2500, and that is totaled. 15 years ago I think we were getting $47/ton for scrap cars. Lol
The problem for you is you need a 4x4 RCSB frame and all the AWD specific parts.

If you had a stripped AWD SSS, Denali truck or AWD SUV Variant, you could clip the front half of the frame and get all the awd stuff. Then part out what's left to make up some of the difference.

cttandy, Did you start back at the salvage yard yet?
Old 10-27-2014, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Thursday is my Official first day. I am still in the process of shutting down my store right now.