TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Guys with cranked TB's

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys with cranked TB's

Just wondering how long you guys have been running your truck with the bars cranked and if you have had any issues with breaking anything in the front suspension. I have my bolts cranked all the way and the ride is definately rougher and I can deal with that no problem, but with cranked bars putting more stress on the front suspension are you guys noticing an increase in wearing of anything or negatives to the front end. I was thinking of maybe taking them down about an 1" but really like the lift up front. One of my buddy's told me that going off road on rough terrain I could break a front shock b/c of the over extension of the shock with the TB's cranked. So I was thinking of getting longer shocks anything else I should be worried about? I just had to replace a wheel bearing on the front left and with my wife starting to drive the truck more often I really dont want a wheel or something to fall off b/c of me tampering with the truck. Any help guys, thanks.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Teching In

I have ford keys CRANKED and haven't had any problems for about 6 months now. I got longer shocks and it helped a lot, almost like stock again, but a little stiffer.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

check out your CV angles too. If your angles are too harsh and you go off roading you you'll be blowing your CV joints. I'd pull the bolts down at least a few turns. Also, make sure you jack up the front to take the load off the TBs before you start cranking.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Teching In

Ive had ford keys cranked about 3/4 of the way for about a year and havent had any problems at all. I have put on longer shocks because of the harsh ride and they did help out alot
Old 04-22-2007, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

I have had the TB's maxed out on my Blazer for 4 years and I am on my third set of axles up front in 115k miles. No big deal though, I am VERY rough on it and the axles are lifetime warranty, so I just pull the bad one and get a new one free.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:33 PM
Launching!

my tb's were cranked all the way with my 9-11 lift for 3 years and no problems. i just recently added a 3" body lift and turned down the bars slightly just to get more articulation out of the front. that is something to consider in the future if you dont want to come out of the pocket for a full suspension lift
Old 04-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by xsports33
check out your CV angles too. If your angles are too harsh and you go off roading you you'll be blowing your CV joints. I'd pull the bolts down at least a few turns. Also, make sure you jack up the front to take the load off the TBs before you start cranking.
Looked at my CV angles and they surprisingly do not look bad at all. Looks pretty straight to me. Does this seem odd to anyone since my bolts are turned all the way up? I dunno maybe someone can post up a pic of what the CV angles should look like and I can compare? And thanks for the reply's guys.

Trending Topics

Old 04-25-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Iv had ford keys turned a little over half way up for over 2 years and no problems here. I run stock height edelbrock shocks. Never broke anything as a result of them.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Launching!

I have been thinking about turning mine up since I rub on the frame on my 1990 chevy but I am running 38's with no lift and am worried that I will break something. I already have a bit of angle on mine since the front end is so light.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:44 AM
Import Moderator

3+ yrs and my old blue truck is still going

Quick Reply: Guys with cranked TB's