TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

Guys with cranked TB's

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are ford keys? what do i need to do to fit 285s under my 89 silverado 4x4
Old 05-10-2007, 05:34 AM
Import Moderator

ford keys are just torsion keys from an F150, they have a different index then the keys on our chevy keys. dont do the ford keys, not good for cvs... just crank the torsion bars up a lil and trim your front bumper, they should fit
Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had mine cranked for about 15k and the truck is still all good up front. I still have the stock shocks and the ride is a lil rough, especially offroad. I wouldn't recommend the ford keys either, just crank your stock ones

Kurt
Old 05-10-2007, 10:10 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beastmode
ford keys are just torsion keys from an F150, they have a different index then the keys on our chevy keys. dont do the ford keys, not good for cvs... just crank the torsion bars up a lil and trim your front bumper, they should fit
There are plenty of people getting away with running ford keys with no problems the main thing is to get longer shocks and everything will be fine. Main thing is when you are offroad and one a-arm is full extended dont do a sharp turn and gas it, you will break a CV if you wheel smart you will be just fine. Im going to run ford keys and gk bars up front so I can clear 35s and I have a set of rancho rs900x 4" lift front shocks so I dont have any problems. Many guys on GMFS running that setup(with 33s though) with no problems.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:25 AM
Import Moderator

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
There are plenty of people getting away with running ford keys with no problems the main thing is to get longer shocks and everything will be fine. Main thing is when you are offroad and one a-arm is full extended dont do a sharp turn and gas it, you will break a CV if you wheel smart you will be just fine. Im going to run ford keys and gk bars up front so I can clear 35s and I have a set of rancho rs900x 4" lift front shocks so I dont have any problems. Many guys on GMFS running that setup(with 33s though) with no problems.
im just saying from experience, i currently have the ford keys on my blue rcsb 4x4 and ive had problems wit my 4wd, so its not like im just makin **** up
Old 05-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!

Originally Posted by beastmode
im just saying from experience, i currently have the ford keys on my blue rcsb 4x4 and ive had problems wit my 4wd, so its not like im just makin **** up
You still got the RCSB 4x4? I thought you sold it? How much do you have the Ford Keys Cranked on it?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Import Moderator

Originally Posted by Chevy Cowboy
You still got the RCSB 4x4? I thought you sold it? How much do you have the Ford Keys Cranked on it?
well my dad has it, i still drive it every once and awhile though and i know he hasnt gotten the keys taken off of it... (i might be buyin it back off him and puttin the 4.8 from the GMC in it when i do my swap )

id say you can probably get about 1" outta bottoming your bolts down with stock keys... with the ford keys i put them on and its atleast 1-1/2" and i still got a ton of threads left... you GOTTA replace the shocks if your gonna do it, cause while your crankin that bolt, if you dont replace em, it will pull the top bushing right through the shock mount. but in all honesty, i wouldnt recommend doing it, im sure ppl have and im sure it runs fine, but my blue truck WAS fine before i did it, and now that its still done the 4wds Fd up
Old 05-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Piss Pumps for Sale

Location: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada, The True North Strong and Free!

yeah, thats too bad, I havent decided if I wanna lift my truck cause is so exspensive and the ford keys sounded like a good alternative but I dont wanna screw something up
P.S. BUY IT BACK, I loved that truck
Old 05-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Import Moderator

Originally Posted by Chevy Cowboy
yeah, thats too bad, I havent decided if I wanna lift my truck cause is so exspensive and the ford keys sounded like a good alternative but I dont wanna screw something up
P.S. BUY IT BACK, I loved that truck
me to, im prolly going to

like i said it may or may not, but from my experience i wouldnt take any chances wit them again. Skyjacker actually makes a 3" lift thats like $1100 for gm 1/2 tons 99-06 now to, not just the 88-98s. and wats nice about it is i dont think you even have to drop hte front diff

http://skyjacker.com/products-search...tnumber=C9461K
Old 05-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saying your 4wd is screwed up is a very broad term. What exactly is messed up? When you crank the **** out of the bars you have to wheel smart due to the extreme CV angles but it does look good

Quick Reply: Guys with cranked TB's