STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

2 JL Audio 12" W3v2

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 JL Audio 12" W3v2

What do you guys think about these speakers? I'm picking them up this afternoon what kind of amp you think I should run? I'm taking out the center console in the regular cab and putting the box right there. Hopefully I can fit the amp under the passenger or driver seat for security purposes. I think this should thump hard and the box they are currently in is ported for an added bonus. Price 200 for 2 sick deal if you ask me
Old 06-28-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

W3v3 is a much better speaker, i never liked the w3v2s, i would rather have w1v2s...just my opinion, and u can get w1v2s for 100each brand new!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

12 w3v2 are a nice speaker and will hit damn hard in a regular cab. The v3's are better because of some updated technology but the v2's you picked up will still slam and sound great. You could easily push them with a 500w-750w amp depending on how much you want to spend. That will also keep your amp size down so you can fit it under the seat. You may have to address cooling issues with the amp if you beat on the subs for long amounts of time.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Staging Lane

I'm trying to find a sawza to cut out the center console unless you guys know if it just unbolts??? There will be between 3 and 4" between box and ac controls until I get a custom fabricated fiberglass box to house these. Scooby thanks for your positive feedback!!! I'm hoping they will slam as well
Old 07-01-2010, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whitechevy
I'm trying to find a sawza to cut out the center console unless you guys know if it just unbolts??? There will be between 3 and 4" between box and ac controls until I get a custom fabricated fiberglass box to house these. Scooby thanks for your positive feedback!!! I'm hoping they will slam as well
the seats come out . . . and then the center console
Old 07-01-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah pull the seats first then console. I have pulled the console with the seats in and it was a NIGHTMARE! The seats are easy to pull out just watch your paint and door jams with the legs. Im not sure which console you have but the center console does unbolt. Mine is a pita with a lot of hidden fasteners. Just take your time and you will find them.

I was just thinking about you wanting to mount the amp under the seat. Have you considered mounting the amp behind your seats on the back wall. there will be more space for air cooling back there vs. under the seats. Plus if you endup getting an amp that is large in size it will be easier to mount. Keep us updated on the progress!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

You cant go wrong with JL Audio
Old 07-02-2010, 02:03 AM
Staging Lane

Actually that's exactly what I am going to do guys if I can is mount on back wall. That way you can see it for aesthetics and cooling. The box I have the subs in is carpeted on all sides but one so I sanded the wooden exposed side to avoid splinters and now kinda got the itch to sand the whole box down and paint it white....what do you guys think of that? Obviously remove the subs prior but remove carpet sand, prime, paint, clear? Not worth time/effort/$$$$ if I want to go into fiberglass console later? Could I fiberglass this box and create custom console? It has two ports as well
Old 07-02-2010, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

just buy a probox, padded up with insulation and your good to go....... those things will hit hard. 350w to each sub will be good
Old 07-06-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by whitechevy
...........so I sanded the wooden exposed side to avoid splinters and now kinda got the itch to sand the whole box down and paint it white....what do you guys think of that? Obviously remove the subs prior but remove carpet sand, prime, paint, clear? Not worth time/effort/$$$$ if I want to go into fiberglass console later? Could I fiberglass this box and create custom console? It has two ports as well

What wood are you using that will give you splinters? And if you want to paint the box and it not look like crap its MUCH more involved that just sand,prime,paint. When you paint a box it has to be PERFECT or its going to show EVERY dent, bow, wave,etc. You will probably have to use some good body filler to fill and sand down to make sure everything is perfect. Its a lot of time and effort which is why there so expensive to have a custom made box that is painted.

If your looking to do a fiberglass enclosure later just wait and work on it then unless your trying to gain some experience and try some new things with this box you currently have. Trying to fiberglass this box is really not the way to go. You will be locked in to its general shape verus a truly custom shape that would be worth the long hours it takes to finish.

Quick Reply: 2 JL Audio 12" W3v2