SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOT legal smoked tails and HID lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:03 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DOT legal smoked tails and HID lights?

Does anyone know where I can get some dot legal smoked taillights for 03+? I've been pulled over twice this month for my black taillights and got a ticket for "defective rear reflector" cause he can't see them through the black at daytime even tho they reflect at night. He also warned me about my 8k hid headlights that I got from dmmotoring. This only happens on Texas side of town. Any suggestions?
Old 10-31-2011, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

They can't say anything about the HIDs...
But as far as the tails good luck finding any that are dark at all, I have covers so I have them off most of the time because the cops here are dix about it
Old 10-31-2011, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just move to Kansas...they don't really care here. Otherwise I think it's a judgement call on the cop's part, so its hard to find something that everyone will like.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nuclear Endless
They can't say anything about the HIDs...
But as far as the tails good luck finding any that are dark at all, I have covers so I have them off most of the time because the cops here are dix about it
They most certainly can ticket you for your HIDs. They can ticket you for anything that has been altered from stock if they want to be a ******* about it. If it did not come factory with hid lights they can ticket it.. Most do not however for HID's unless they are the pink ones.. Just about every state is this way.. Some do not care some make a point to be ******..As for the tail lights only way to have them be legal is to candy them.. Even light tint on them can be a issue.. Only thing I would think to do is have a set done that kept the red center of the brake and blinker part on the silvy lights..

Yah it ******* sucks but, they can do wtf they want to
Old 10-31-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are DOT tinted tails being sold and distributed?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last time I got my truck inspected, they came in and told me it failed. There was a cop in uniform sitting next to me waiting for his oil change. He walked outside, looked at my truck and told the inspector it was legal and to pass me. He said the law was that the light (when lit up) must be visible from 50 yards away. Since mine were led and very bright to begin with, they were easily seen lit from that distance. I was never pulled over for them and they were fairly dark. Search my posts for pics, or check my sig and you'll see them.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:58 PM
TECH Resident

Just get a thin strip of red reflector tape and put it across the bottom of the taillught. Or have a set smojed with the very bottom taped off so the reflector part shows after tint. Passes inspection around here
Old 10-31-2011, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slammed96
Just move to Kansas...they don't really care here. Otherwise I think it's a judgement call on the cop's part, so its hard to find something that everyone will like.
yep seems like Ks, Mo and Ok cops don't care... not too sure though. i'd just grab a can of VHT night shade and start with one light coat, then over time gradually darken to where you'd like it too be. I can tell you right now though three coats is pretty dark. I had a friend do three on his and they ended up black!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:41 PM
Baltimore Whore

Originally Posted by texasglock23
There are DOT tinted tails being sold and distributed?
Yes but there is visible red through them when not lit.. The reflector strip might work under the gate, but then you look like some farm truck.. The best bet would be to get part of the lenses taped off, kept red, so there is infact red on the tail light.. It sucks but cops can be fukin dicks..
Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'll just roll stock or candied. Now if I could find someone who candied I would send some off.

Quick Reply: DOT legal smoked tails and HID lights?