PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought you were goin with a level 4 from FLT?
Old 12-06-2006, 10:36 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by onebadrubi
I thought you were goin with a level 4 from FLT?
That was the original plan, unfortunetly with my time crunch and shipping time both ways we couldn't fit it in

I dropped the trans off at California Performance Transmission. Art told me it would be done this friday
Old 12-06-2006, 10:38 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Hemi Killer
This is a very good thread for first timers, like me. Do you have any more pictures of the tranny removal?
thats pretty much it. If you guys want specific pictures let me know, I'll take the pics for ya and get them up no problem, just let me know ahead of time
Old 12-06-2006, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moregrip
Any tips on holding the crank bolt or flexplate without a partner? otherwise I'm at a standstill until I can get a helping hand......
fwi most autoparts stores should carry a flywheel holding tool, its basically a screwdriver with a swivel leg on it that holds onto the teeth of the flywheel, $7 to keep (free to rent), works wonders and is a one man job.

nice progress here btw
Old 12-06-2006, 02:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
I think XLR8NSS would like to see a pic of you posing on the hood.
Ha Ha!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Smile

Originally Posted by moregrip
That was the original plan, unfortunetly with my time crunch and shipping time both ways we couldn't fit it in

I dropped the trans off at California Performance Transmission. Art told me it would be done this friday
What's specifically being done to "beef" it up? What's a ballpark number for cost on this upgrade?
What was so funny about the one-two shift? I have the same tranny and I want to watch out for it. The biggest thing I notice is that under WOT shifts the RPM's dwell a little after the shift. To me it sounds like some slight slippage. The engine and tranny are all stock (except a Hypertech tuner +200hp gain ) and I think that it's the tranny trying to perform like it's programmed with the smooth shifts.
Looks great so far.
The thing that confuses me in all of this is that you have some very flashy and fast toys like a young man would have. Yet you complain about all of this soreness? Just never grew up huh. That's my plan too!
Old 12-06-2006, 02:23 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by hourang
fwi most autoparts stores should carry a flywheel holding tool, its basically a screwdriver with a swivel leg on it that holds onto the teeth of the flywheel, $7 to keep (free to rent), works wonders and is a one man job.

nice progress here btw
thanks for the 411 bro, I just went ahead and did what I should have to start with, bought a GENIII engine service tool kit, has everything I'll need in there
Old 12-06-2006, 02:32 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by yurs78
What's specifically being done to "beef" it up? What's a ballpark number for cost on this upgrade?
What was so funny about the one-two shift? I have the same tranny and I want to watch out for it. The biggest thing I notice is that under WOT shifts the RPM's dwell a little after the shift. To me it sounds like some slight slippage. The engine and tranny are all stock (except a Hypertech tuner +200hp gain ) and I think that it's the tranny trying to perform like it's programmed with the smooth shifts.
Looks great so far.
The thing that confuses me in all of this is that you have some very flashy and fast toys like a young man would have. Yet you complain about all of this soreness? Just never grew up huh. That's my plan too!
I think my problem was a minor one, I was supposed to drop the pan and look inside but never seemed to find the time(read procrastinated). My trans was a stock 4l80e with a transgo HD-2 shift-kit and a Hughes deep sump pan. Had over 80, 1/4 mile passes on it and about 30k street miles. My only issue was a WOT 1-2 shift that didn't quite feel right, like a 2 step shift.

Last edited by moregrip; 12-06-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:38 PM
what a rush!

some of you had requested some comparative info regarding the flex-plate and TQ converter;

Both the stock flex-plate and Meziere flex-plate weighed in at 6.6lbs each, notice billet steel construction vs welds:

The TQ converters is where the weight difference is more apparent. Stock converter was drained for 1.5 days. Precision Industries Converter weighed in at 39lbs. Stock Converter weighed in at 56lbs. Notice billet construction on the Vig:

rear main seal looks perfectly in tact

Old 12-06-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great thank

Quick Reply: Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install