PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 12:23 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

transmission just about ready to come out, all wires and misc lines removed. All thats left are the flexplate bolts, bellhousing bolts, and crossmember bolts.

Any tips on holding the crank bolt or flexplate without a partner? otherwise I'm at a standstill until I can get a helping hand......

Old 12-05-2006, 01:09 AM
what a rush!

flexplate bolts out, break time
Old 12-05-2006, 03:32 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moregrip
flexplate bolts out, break time
Well now that you got them out, I'll tell ya my secret way to hold the engine from spinning
I reinstall one of the lower torquce converter/bellhousing cover bolts in the top hole. Then with a good sized pry bar hold the flex plate with the bar resting on the bolt and teath, It's a bit tricky the first 7 bolts, but by the time you pull the trans the fourth time you'll be a pro.
BTW, Looking good...
Old 12-05-2006, 03:51 AM
what a rush!

tranny out, holy **** that really sucks some hind-tit (doing it by myself and on my back the whole damn time)
I'm freakin beat, thank god thats done

misc markings on the 80e:

cool pic! btw, is it going to be ok with my oil pan resting on that crossmember for now? got a piece of wood in there to take up most of the space....

here's a look at my TR6's with 30k on them:

that's it for today, must......get.......sleep

Last edited by moregrip; 12-05-2006 at 03:58 AM.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:22 AM

WOW your trans cooler lines are in WAY different spots than mine.......
Old 12-05-2006, 06:17 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The pan is fine, it is very stout, you will notice ALOT of engines that are shipped rest on the oil pan on the flexplate end then have a block of wood under the front, good job man the trans aint fun
Old 12-05-2006, 09:06 AM
what a rush!

man oh man, let's just say I'm sore EVERYWHERE!

had an incident last night, truck slipped off the floor jack...........I say again, the truck slipped off the floor jack! It really kinda surprised the **** out of me. Luckily when I work alone I follow extra safe procedures and it was a somewhat controlled 2-3" drop until it landed on a pair of jack-stands. This has NEVER happened to me before, and the more I think about it the more pissed off I get about the whole thing. Granted the truck was at a slight angle, but nothing crazy at all and certainly not worthy of what happened.
What was really weird about the whole thing was that the wax coating on the truck frame seemed to act like butter and actually lubed(read: helped) the damn cycle of events.

first pic, here you can clearly see the wax coating smeared as the floor jack slid off the steel reinforced cross-member jacking pad:

and in these pics you can see where the remaining steel reinforced cross-member jacking pads are dented in where the truck fell onto them. Frame/crossmember seems to be fine, however I see some larger 3/8" metal plate being welded in-place in the near future......

Old 12-05-2006, 09:21 AM

That is scary! It would suck to get crushed by your own truck with noone around to help out, don't sound fun at all..
Old 12-05-2006, 10:05 AM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
That is scary! It would suck to get crushed by your own truck with noone around to help out, don't sound fun at all..
well the tires are still on it so they would have caught eventually, but that probably would have taken a few things out in the process
Old 12-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its wierd I was just telling Richard about how I had a damn jackstand break on me a couple of days ago while I was under the damn thing

Glad ur ok, I agree that damn wax coating stuff is slick as hell.

Quick Reply: Project "Blown HD" my 6/8 drop/shortblock/heads/cam/blower/tranny install