PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project: Big White Elephant!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 12:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project: Bring Sally Up!

Under Construction...88 GMC Sierra Reg. Cab LQ4 LSX

Name:  3d5a5701-3c98-402c-9ec0-b05236017d7f_zpsfcbb4227.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  31.6 KB

Hey everyone! This will be a slow build, but I thought I would start this thread in the meantime to give myself some sort of timeline and to introduce my project! Little background: Dad's old 88 GMC Sierra RCSB with the ole glory 350 tbi 700r4 he bought back in 1990.. Sadly he passed from us 10yrs ago, and I inherited it soon after so in his memory I wanted to build something fun! Any ways had always planned to rebuild the old power-plant a couple years back, and of course after a little research and stalking through this among other websites decided a conversion was in order! No brainer right?

After sometime of looking through junkyards I scored an 03 5.3 with all accessories, harness, computer etc. 2 kids and 2yrs later that same engine was still sitting in my garage..lol What can I say life happens! Well I'm on the hunt again, and during the last 2 months have been gathering parts as well as a lot of reading! Last month while I was looking for a 4l80e I found someone with said tranny, and when I went to pick it up noticed a beautiful 05 lq4 sitting directly next to it..! Cubic inches were suddenly screaming my name so I made the guy an offer of $1100 for both, and walked away smiling

Oh BTW, the 5.3L I bought a couple years back I later re-sold and guess what! Turns out it was a 4.8 (talk about feeling like an idiot) I checked the bore, but not the stroke! Valuable lesson because never will I take someones word on something again so easily.. especially a junkyard! Original receipt said 5.3, stroke said a different story!

Okay story times over for now so on to the mission!

Quick overview of my Truck:

1988 GMC Sierra Reg Cab Truck
6.0 lq4
4l80e
Transgo HD2
Circle D 1a Tripple Disc Converter
Future Turbo Build... 76mm 8-14 #'s
Isky Tripple 12 cam
ARP Head Studs
Katech Connecting Rod Bolts
LS7 Lifters
Comp 7.35 Hardened PR
Patriot Dual Valve Springs
Comps Cams Trunion Rocker Upgrade
Melling 10296 Oil Pump
SFI Approved Flexplate
N-Motion Timing Chain set
LS9 Head Gaskets
TBSS Intake Manifold/Fuel Rails
87mm DBW
X-Link
Re-Gapped Piston Rings
3.43 gears
Aeromotive 340!
80# Injectors
Racetronix Fuel Pump Harness
PSI Conversion Harness
Shooting for 600+ HP anything else is a Perk!
Not a DD, weekend warrior... maybe a pass or 2 a year at the track... who knows!

Pictures coming soon of what progress I have made so far, have the bed off and am about to Por-15 the chassis! Engine is also down to a short-block inspecting things over before I start putting it all together!

BTW Who says you need help taking a truck bed off? LOL

Name:  db755aa0-eb81-4343-a5ec-ac07c7aaa2b9_zpsf4c659b0.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  36.2 KB

Last edited by Hivelocit; 08-19-2013 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Better title lol
Old 06-17-2012, 01:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Sounds like a fun build. I like how you are keeping the truck in the family and building it in his memory.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ak2007r6
Sounds like a fun build. I like how you are keeping the truck in the family and building it in his memory.
My Dad was a lifelong Mechanic, only bought GM! I grew up fascinated about all the stories he had for all the old cars and engines. Never had a chance to build an engine with him... Great Great Guy. Lots of nostalgia for this build!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting build. It you are planning on a turbo, I would choose a tighter torque converter. Somewhere around 2800 would be nice.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AndysC3
Interesting build. It you are planning on a turbo, I would choose a tighter torque converter. Somewhere around 2800 would be nice.
Because of my cam choice? 3000k was what I was shooting for, Stock48 runs a 3400 on his build with great success, although I want to do it right the first time nothing silly loose on the street!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:52 AM
Launching!

Picture of the LQ4 before tear down.
Name:  bef3be2f-8bd0-4f86-a7ea-adcfe2b6d9ba_zps84c32375.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  75.8 KB

Have the frame almost ready for paint, I went with the recommendation to use the prep and ready spray before using POR-15. It neutralized what little rust was there and left the metal surface with a slight etching for paint adherence! Works for me hopefully on my days off I will get some Painting done!
Name:  156e5180-baac-4301-bfad-69f4477f6d25_zpsd29b3502.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  42.1 KB

Last edited by Hivelocit; 08-18-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:11 AM
Launching!

Did some painting of the chassis this morning thought I would share the results thus far.

POR-15 is unlike any paint I have ever used.. watery but goes on pretty thick, reminds me of a cross between a permanent marker and tar! If you are going to use it you MUST HAVE "mineral spirits" close by because no matter how careful you may be its gonna make a mess. I was underneath the chassis and it dripped almost into my eye, have to act fast or else its a waiting game before it will come off. Hell just getting the lid off the can for my first use I thought I was going to need a can opener because it was super stuck on lol

Last edited by Hivelocit; 08-18-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:09 AM
Launching!

Little update: heads are at the shop getting a valve grind, new valve guides, patriot duals with ti retainers, and seals. Engine block is at a totally different shop getting the crank balanced, cam bearings, and rings re-gapped bigger for boost (thanks everyone for the insight on that last part)! Because I don't have a shop press I went ahead and had the machine shop press out the old bearings in my stock rockers and upgraded with the Comp Cams Trunion kit.

Next will be my tranny, I will either install the Transgo HD2 kit myself or have the local tranny shop here in town do it along with some other upgrades.... Can anyone tell me anything else I should have done to the tranny to make it a little more bullet proof? Figured I might as well do it now! Hope to start putting the engine back together soon along with some photos!

Last edited by Hivelocit; 07-26-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hivelocit
Little update: heads are at the shop getting a valve grind, new valve guides, patriot duals with ti retainers, and seals. Engine block is at a totally different shop getting the crank balanced, cam bearings, and rings re-gapped bigger for boost (thanks everyone for the insight on that last part)! Because I don't have a shop press I went ahead and had the machine shop press out the old bearings in my stock rockers and upgraded with the Comp Cams Trunion kit.

Next will be my tranny, I will either install the Transgo HD2 kit myself or have the local tranny shop here in town do it along with some other upgrades.... Can anyone tell me anything what else I should have done to the tranny to make it a little more bullet proof? Figured I might as well do it now! Hope to start putting the engine back together soon along with some photos!
I have always used Billy at Royal transmission here in town. Great guy and a family business.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by AndysC3
Theres no way to really know what converter you want to run without riding in a few different trucks to feel them out. Joey is going with a 3600 now and I am taking his 3400. Number doesn't mean **** cause they are rated differently.

Quick Reply: Project: Big White Elephant!