PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Not a truck, not a LS engine, but weighs as much as a truck, "69 Twin TurboCharger"

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool project , if any of us had any sense this is the kind of project we should do . instead of trying to make a barn go fast.

what made you choose a mopar , too much fast n furious? lol

i hope to do a very similar project in the future. i plan to do either a 67-68 camaro or a 65ish nova/chevy 2 i love those cars, and they can go about as fast as us with half the power.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

the old bigblocks are cool, but i would just LOVE to see a challenger with a viper motor and twins stuffed into the engine bay. and modern irs rear, so not only would it be good for straight line, but it wouldnt be such a tank in corners.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Everyone automatically looks at the B-Body Dodge’s and Plymouth’s and drops their lower jaw thinking they weight a ton. While in reality, they are no heavier than most of the other muscle car era cars available and lighter than quite a few of the heavy hitters. The main thing working against them, besides the obvious issue of not being from one of the most popularly supported makes on the planet is their long wheelbase.

The few examples below just go to show the large appearing beautifully curved machines don’t have to be avoided for strip use because of the fear of their size. The wheelbase does make it a little more difficult to make a canyon carver though.

1969 Dodge Charger:
Wheelbase: 117.0 in.
Weight: 3,103 lbs with the Slant Six, all the way up to 3,671 lbs with the 426 HEMI.
426 HEMI has a dry weight of around 843lbs
440 has a dry weight of around 650lbs
You can drop an easy 80lbs by switching to aluminum heads. A pretty stripped down for competition car can easily be brought down below 3,000 lbs.

Whereas a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 has a preferred wheelbase of 112.0 in and tips the scales at around 3,800 lbs.

Even a 1970 ½ Camaro with its shorter 108 in wheelbase is still rather portly at 3,313 lbs with a small block. So you could add another 100 lbs to the total for a big block car, as a 454 weights in somewhere around 685 lbs, while a 350 comes in about 575 lbs with an iron intake manifold. A well optioned car can easily start sneaking up on the weight of the larger GM A-Body cars.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

i was refering to it as tank meaning horrible handling lol sorry for misleading
Old 01-23-2011, 03:39 PM
GFYS and STFU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
...I wish I has room for 3.5" but what-ya-going-to-do?

Old 01-23-2011, 09:36 PM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jared91
and subscribed. in for epicness.
LOL, nice, thanks

Originally Posted by 2004SSS
cool project , if any of us had any sense this is the kind of project we should do . instead of trying to make a barn go fast.

what made you choose a mopar , too much fast n furious? lol

i hope to do a very similar project in the future. i plan to do either a 67-68 camaro or a 65ish nova/chevy 2 i love those cars, and they can go about as fast as us with half the power.

Fast N Curious? Hardly, I was the proud owner of these car long before that movie ever came out. I'm a chevy guy but there is no ***-end better looking than the second gen charger...

You seam to have your barn movin at a decent pace....

Originally Posted by jared91
the old bigblocks are cool, but i would just LOVE to see a challenger with a viper motor and twins stuffed into the engine bay. and modern irs rear, so not only would it be good for straight line, but it wouldnt be such a tank in corners.
I'd like to update the suspension same day too, maybe even a newer power plant... LSx???

Originally Posted by 1Bear
Everyone automatically looks at the B-Body Dodge’s and Plymouth’s and drops their lower jaw thinking they weight a ton. While in reality, they are no heavier than most of the other muscle car era cars available and lighter than quite a few of the heavy hitters. The main thing working against them, besides the obvious issue of not being from one of the most popularly supported makes on the planet is their long wheelbase.

The few examples below just go to show the large appearing beautifully curved machines don’t have to be avoided for strip use because of the fear of their size. The wheelbase does make it a little more difficult to make a canyon carver though.

1969 Dodge Charger:
Wheelbase: 117.0 in.
Weight: 3,103 lbs with the Slant Six, all the way up to 3,671 lbs with the 426 HEMI.
426 HEMI has a dry weight of around 843lbs
440 has a dry weight of around 650lbs
You can drop an easy 80lbs by switching to aluminum heads. A pretty stripped down for competition car can easily be brought down below 3,000 lbs.

Whereas a 1970 Chevelle SS 454 has a preferred wheelbase of 112.0 in and tips the scales at around 3,800 lbs.

Even a 1970 ½ Camaro with its shorter 108 in wheelbase is still rather portly at 3,313 lbs with a small block. So you could add another 100 lbs to the total for a big block car, as a 454 weights in somewhere around 685 lbs, while a 350 comes in about 575 lbs with an iron intake manifold. A well optioned car can easily start sneaking up on the weight of the larger GM A-Body cars.
Yea, the charger might be lighter than a few other muscle cars of the era, but 4,000 pounds is what I'm guessing I'll be at and that IS NOT light. It's going to take a lot of power to hit my hi goals. While I was discussing my goals and the problems I'll be facing with another forum member whos opinion carries a bit of weight with me, he recommended I low my goals a bit to make my life easier. LMAO....

The car feels like it is a mile long in the garage. I looked it up, just a bit longer than a regular cab short bed Silverado, I swear it looks longer....

Originally Posted by Spoolin

Yea, I thought of that and I might have to do something like that in the future once the 3" pipes are restrictive....
Old 01-27-2011, 07:10 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice work! I really like the idea of using hose clamps to hold the pipes inplace. I always used blue painters tape, but i think I will switch to hose clamps like that.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

or a 65ish nova/chevy 2 i love those cars, and they can go about as fast as us with half the power.[/QUOTE]

haha. i have a 64 out here in colorado looking for a new home......
Old 01-28-2011, 02:58 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Nice work! I really like the idea of using hose clamps to hold the pipes inplace. I always used blue painters tape, but i think I will switch to hose clamps like that.
It does make it nice, the clamps hold a lot more, there are just a bit of a pain in the *** to tighten while holding the pipe in position....

Well update.... five more hours of hair pulling out madness....

Old 01-28-2011, 05:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Even if I had the welding skills I'd never have the patience to build a turbo system. I think my next project will be a F series Procharger 370 or 390. But I admire your skills and creativity Dusty and I'll be in touch with tune questions.

Quick Reply: Not a truck, not a LS engine, but weighs as much as a truck, "69 Twin TurboCharger"