PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

KylesRCSB Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KylesRCSB Build

Well I've been browsing around the site for a year or so now, asking questions and helping out as much as I can. But I figured it's about time I post up my build, where I started, where I'm at now, and where I plan to get, so here we go...

Future Plans:
- Cam & Head Swap (DONE)
- Head Suds (DONE)
- LS7 Lifters (DONE)
- Built 80E swap
- On3s 78mm turbo kit
- Posi Trac
- Caltracs
- Lowering kit (DONE)
- Street/Strip wheel setup

These are all my future goals for the truck, but everyone knows how much those change so we'll see how far that gets me,

My senior year on high school I was new to the truck world, actually new to the car/truck world, didn't know a damn thing about them to be honest. Got myself a 2005 Chevy Silverado RCSB, it was a V6, base model package, and like I said I didn't know a damn thing about trucks, so to me it was everything I wanted. Haha, as time went on I started to realize my truck wasn't any fun and didn't have any power to keep up with anyone else, or even get anywhere close to them, I did a few things to the truck, but mostly just appearance mods

The first day I had it - Name:  White%20SIlvy_zpshdr4rwme.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  67.9 KB
Like I said mostly everything I did to it was appearance mods, roll pan, color matched mirrors and handles, and black LTZ wheels that I got a hell of a deal on, it was already lowered in a rear 2 inches, so that pretty much how it stayed for almost three years - Name:  silvy3_zpsrhgd2bba.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  123.0 KB
Then I threw around the idea of doing a 5.3 or 6.0 swap, but I wanted all the interior accessories like power windows, locks and mirrors, I wanted a carpeted floor, and so I ended up selling my truck with 88,000 miles on for a decent price, and the real search began, I was very picky, knew exactly what I wanted and wasn't going to take anything less, and after about 3 months of search I found a 2005 GMC Sierra SLE, with almost every option they came out with that year and better yet it a 5.3 with only had 47,000 miles and I got it for a very reasonable price of $9,000 which is very good considering that's only $1,000 more than what I sold my base model V6 for.

The first day I had it, 100% stock and ugly as hell - Name:  GMC2_zpsfbibkwl4.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  139.8 KB Name:  GMC1_zpsqgsyobn7.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  128.9 KB
The day I got it home I immediately took it to a friends, threw some lowering shackles on it, got it debadged, and already had an appointment to get the windows tinted the next day. That was a start for me, I still had my black LTZ wheels so I put those on and I was happy for a little while... Name:  GMC_zps1pvwujxy.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  150.2 KB

I then started out doing some little things here and there, bought some heated mirrors with puddle lights, an ISS wing, and some smooth door handles... and this was the out come of that Name:  230_zps3z5oabci.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  350.9 KB Name:  232_zpskivafwdx.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  339.6 KB I also threw in some silverado tail lights because I hate the way the GMC tails look. Then came some performance mods, longtubes, full exhaust and a tune were the first things I did. Name:  517_zps8ryuc7a1.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  446.8 KB And thats as far as I have got now, I have purchased a Isky cutsom speced cam, some 243 heads, head studs, gaskets, lifters, and springs, and everything is ready to go on, just haven't had the time to get it done. I'm pleased with where I'm at now but as we all know fast is never fast enough, hopefully the cam and heads will get me somewhere I'm happy with until the turbo kit is purchased. Here's how it sits today.. Name:  2015-01-16%2015.47.27_zpsyfz2zcsl.png
Views: 354
Size:  610.4 KB Name:  2015-01-16%2015.32.02_zpsonlynlvc.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  295.9 KBName:  986_zpsfy9metzl.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  217.9 KB

Last edited by KleanKustoms; 07-29-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

Damn this is clean looking real good
Old 04-09-2015, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks great.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good man. Where did you get the tail gate wing? Also, what are the specs on the cam? Was it speced with your future turbo upgrade in mind or for N/A?
Old 04-10-2015, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
Looks good man. Where did you get the tail gate wing? Also, what are the specs on the cam? Was it speced with your future turbo upgrade in mind or for N/A?
I got the wing on the SilveradoSS forum it was a fiberglass replica, if I had to do t again I'd get a OEM wing even though they are pricey. But the cam was speced for my N/A build that's why I'm trying to sell it and get a FI cam. The specs are 221/221 .575/.575 on 108lsa
Old 04-10-2015, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size are the wheel/tire combo?
Old 04-10-2015, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by signguy62
What size are the wheel/tire combo?
On it right now are some 20's with 275/55s
Old 07-29-2015, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Update:

It's been a busy Summer so I haven't really gotten as far on the truck as I would have liked, but it's starting to actually come together. The first thing that I accomplished with help from a few friends was swapping my cam & heads for the ones I've had for almost a year now.
Parts List: Custom Speced cam by Jarrett - 221/221 .575/.575 108lsa
- 243 Heads milled down for compression along with PAC 1918 springs
-Stock LS1 Head Gaskets
-Head Studs
- LS7 Lifters
Starting to tear it down
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old cam coming out
[IMG][/IMG]
All put back together & a somewhat detailed engine bay
[IMG][/IMG]
As hard I thought this was going to be it really wasn't, I really second guessed my mechanical skills since I've never done anything like this before. But trust me, if I can do it, anyone can. It took me about 4 days to get it tore down and back together, but thats only working on it for about 3-4 hours everyday after I'd get off work. Also alot of time was spent running back an forth to town for pulley pullers, and misc. things.
I'm happy how much it picked up in the mid and high rpms, where it really seemed to die off before. It's still not the best on the bottom end because for now there is no stall. But next on the list is a built 80e & converter so itll be able to hold boost when I decide to throw it at it.
I also bought a 3/6 Belltech drop which will hopefully be on in the next few weeks, I'm really happy with the purchase and the parts all seem to be pretty high quality. Can't wait to see it dropped.
Here's how it looked a few weeks ago
[IMG][/IMG]
Back on the stock wheels because my old wheels and tires wouldn't clear the 3/6 drop.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Also couldn't pass up on some slicks from a friend so these should work until I have the extra cash to get some Bogarts
[IMG][/IMG]
Finally - Trans Temp Gauge installed
[IMG][/IMG]
I'm happy with where the trucks at for now but I can't wait until the 80e & stall to really take it to another level, then the next purchase will be On3's 78mm turbo kit, little big for just a bolt on 5.3 but if I decide to built a 6.0 for boost this will work nicely for it as well.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Nice build, keep up the good work. How much rwhp are you shooting for ?
Old 07-29-2015, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rafe19
Nice build, keep up the good work. How much rwhp are you shooting for ?
Would like for anything around 450-550 rwhp, but probably won't throw too much boost at this motor to keep it reliable & a daily probably around 7-8 #'s

Quick Reply: KylesRCSB Build