PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Gray Ghost turbo 427 LSX build

Old 03-15-2013, 01:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gray Ghost turbo 427 LSX build

Hey guys, grab a beer, sit down, and enjoy. All comments are welcome.

This is going to be my very first turbo build. I've graduated from the 3.6 Liter Kenne Bell and am now stepping up to a much more suitable, cooler running, and badass looking powertrain. The 417 let go 3 days before I was going to leave for TX2K13 so it was a complete bummer.

I edited this first post as I was planning on doing a turbo 408, but that got changed in favor of an LSX

Parts on order are:

LME built 427LSX (Callies Dragonslayer, Callies Ultra Billet H-Beams, Wiseco Pistons, with .210 wall pin upgrade)
MAST Black Label LS3/7 hybrid Large Chamber 6 bolt heads
Holley Hi-Ram LS3 102mm intake
Lunati 243/243 .651/.651 116+6 cam
Moroso 22120 Ultra HV oil pump
New truck pan
ATI super dampner
Yella Terra 1:8 ratio LS7 rockers =.689" valve lift.
Australia Racing Industries timing chain kit
C5R timing chain
Lunati Sustained High RPM roller link bar lifters
-10 fuel system, and twin aero Annihalator 400's.
KB Racing T6 turbo kit w/Garret GT91-97mm turbo
Circle-D/Reactor 2000 horsepower flexplate
Glowshift Boost and Fuel Pressure Gauges
AMS1000 boost controller
And probably a host of other Doo-dads but you guys get the idea.

I'm hoping click off some 9's in this crewcab after all is said and done.

Sorry for no pics except these, I don't have any pretties to show for lol.

Enjoy!

(417 brokedededed)
Name:  72468FEC-7FEA-454E-89C6-944227283FC6-4292-000004D04AF20B24.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  241.8 KB

Name:  E9D6FD9C-E1F6-444F-B4FC-DA76506ECC20-4292-000004D050F6745B.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  218.6 KB

Last edited by Gray Ghost Silverado; 04-24-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:15 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Its gonna be a beast dude!

I tried to get in touch with HKE when I was originally shopping for a built engine a few years ago, but they didnt want to call or email me back. Glad they are treating you better.

For a turbo, give Reed at Workturbochargers a call. Hes a boss when it comes to turbos. Who are you having build the hotpipes?

Im a big fan of the LQ9 iron block, but I would REALLY consider an LSX block for your goals...

The cam may have similar specs, but what do the valve events look like? There is a lot more to it than just duration and lift, which im sure you know, but you may want to ask around on somewhere with a lot of turbo guys like yellowbullet. Lot of guys there spec cams for big turbo builds.

As far as heads, like I said I would really recommend the LSX block, and that opens up the option for 6 bolt heads. I may be interested in your LSA heads if you want to sell them. You think cylinder pressure wont be a problem, but that is absolutely incorrect. Cylinder pressure is what makes torque, and 1500hp takes a lot of torque unless you want to rev to the moon.

What fuel pumps are you using? Those ID1000s are not going to last long. Check out my spreadsheet in the thread I stickied in the fuel section for sizing pumps and injectors and base pressure.

The eboost2 and ams1000 are two really good controllers. The ams1000 has a lot of features, but I think the eboost2 is easier to work with, really depends what you want out of it but both would be good choices.

Hows your transmission situation? Even an 80e is going to be struggling to hold that for long. May want to consider a th400 but then you give up overdrive, but if yours is 2wd you could get a gear vendors overdrive unit...Also consider your torque converter...

Last edited by Atomic; 03-15-2013 at 01:21 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

Seems like a bad *** game plan. Good luck with ur goal
Old 03-15-2013, 01:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Atomic
Its gonna be a beast dude!

I tried to get in touch with HKE when I was originally shopping for a built engine a few years ago, but they didnt want to call or email me back. Glad they are treating you better.

For a turbo, give Reed at Workturbochargers a call. Hes a boss when it comes to turbos.

Im a big fan of the LQ9 iron block, but I would REALLY consider an LSX block for your goals...

The cam may have similar specs, but what do the valve events look like? There is a lot more to it than just duration and lift, which im sure you know, but you may want to ask around on somewhere with a lot of turbo guys like yellowbullet. Lot of guys there spec cams for big turbo builds.

As far as heads, like I said I would really recommend the LSX block, and that opens up the option for 6 bolt heads. I may be interested in your LSA heads if you want to sell them. You think cylinder pressure wont be a problem, but that is absolutely incorrect. Cylinder pressure is what makes torque, and 1500hp takes a lot of torque unless you want to rev to the moon.

What fuel pumps are you using? Those ID1000s are not going to last long. Check out my spreadsheet in the thread I stickied in the fuel section for sizing pumps and injectors and base pressure.

The eboost2 and ams1000 are two really good controllers. The ams1000 has a lot of features, but I think the eboost2 is easier to work with, really depends what you want out of it but both would be good choices.
Thank you for all the input my friend!

Well we went through all that stuff because I wanted to go LSX badly, but it was justified that he was going to set the piston to deck height differently and allow for slightly less quench at TDC since I'll be blowing a ridiculous amount of air on this setup. (Restriction-less as can be, as I set the cam to allow everything to be tamed back down.) I'll pull my piece of paper out and show you why I went this way, alot having to do with vacuum and a broad hard hitting powerband in boost right where my converter comes in at. I allowed some slop for nice cold starts and very little intake reversion. Only sitting at 9* overlap.

At high boost we figured no more than 1400 psi cylinder pressure with this cam. Yes I'm pushing it, but it'll only be pushed like that a few times an then turned back down to 15 psi on the street. No need for 120mph burnouts.

Twin Aeromotive Annihalator 400's for fuel pumps. -10 feed, -6/-6 Y (one per rail), stock return. Seems to be working well since one pump is only on below 4 pounds of boost.

I know the ID1000's are going to tucker out at around 1100RW, but that should be fun until both my dads and my bank account recover for a set of ID2000's. I'll definitely look at your calculator and give Reed a call. Thank you!

I hear mixed reviews about the EBoost 2 being inaccurate as hell. No complaints on the AMS1000 though..... Expensive but badass. I do my own tuning so it shouldn't be too hard to program.

Also Richard, I don't know if I'll ever push that much power, I just wanted the bottom end to hold that much. Figuratively I'm looking at 1375 crank max, or 1100+ WHP. I do believe that at a true 1500 WHP I'd see cylinder pressure at 1800+ for which then the heads would probably go flying off the SOB.

Last edited by Gray Ghost Silverado; 03-15-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jgb454ss
Seems like a bad *** game plan. Good luck with ur goal
Thank you
Old 03-15-2013, 01:56 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Sounds like you have a solid game plan! How does your trans look? I added that to my last post while you were typing your reply I think.

1100rwhp is still enough sauce for 120mph burnouts

Let me know if you need anything! Good luck!
Old 03-15-2013, 02:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Atomic
Sounds like you have a solid game plan! How does your trans look? I added that to my last post while you were typing your reply I think.

1100rwhp is still enough sauce for 120mph burnouts

Let me know if you need anything! Good luck!
Yeah buddy! Please don't take anything I said as being argumentative. You know your **** for sure! I'm just going off what Erik has assured me of. We've been friends dating back to when I was 16, so I trust what the man has to say. Besides if it breaks he said he'll take the heat thanks for the support.

I have an ACE Racing 4L80E that's been built with unicorn blood and fairy dust that's been blessed by the transmission gods. Then I got Leary of it and wrapped it in a Kevlar blanket and lined the tunnel with steel plating just in case it decided to throw a..... Part. It held on a dyno with 1600 ft.lbs of input load so I think it'll hold for a couple hits off the transbrake. Only problems it has are taking forever to engage the transbrake and takes forever to go into reverse. It's a good positive engagement put just slow.

Oh, And it's 4WD. Stock transfercase still won't die. I guess well see though!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Erik sure is hard to get a hold of. LOL!! Ive known him for some time now and its still hard for me to contact him. I had my 408 built there almost 5 yrs ago. Sounds like you have your build lined out pretty good. Good luck with your new build.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by vicalma03
Erik sure is hard to get a hold of. LOL!! Ive known him for some time now and its still hard for me to contact him. I had my 408 built there almost 5 yrs ago. Sounds like you have your build lined out pretty good. Good luck with your new build.
Yep same here even. Erik has informed me that he's been back logged for almost a year now but is finally getting caught up. I'm not sure if I heard him right or not, but I believe that when I called him he said he was delivering a bunch if cranks to a GM dealership. He also informed me he's been moving into a new building over the course of the past three days. I wonder if he does everything all by himself over there

Regardless Erik knows exactly what he's doing.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray Ghost Silverado
I have an ACE Racing 4L80E that's been built with unicorn blood and fairy dust that's been blessed by the transmission gods.
We'll see about that...lol

You're going to need every bit of a 94mm to keep a 408 fed well at 28psi. If you wanted to get fancy and more expensive, you could try out the new precision billet 88mm wheels. They should just about keep up with the current/old version of the 94mm wheels but spool faster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gray Ghost turbo 427 LSX build