PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Gray Ghost turbo 427 LSX build

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have hit the wall already. Erik called me this weekend and said, "I regret to inform you that there's a shortage right now of iron Gen IV blocks. TSP has a supply, but their markup on the block price is going to pump your total up to around $6,700."

Well needless to say I'm not in the market to spend that coin on a shortblock unless its LSX.

So I guess that ain't going to work so I called TSP. Asked them to prepare me a quote on an assembled shortblock..... After I told them what I was planning to do I thought he had had a stroke. I guess I am crazy.

Anyways TSP told me there was no way in hell they'd assemble it for me, so I simply asked for parts and machine work. They said they can do that, so it looks like I'll be assembling my own bottom end I like that option much better because I hate seeing mixed size bearings in a bottom end. People say it's common mixed sizes to be utilized in an engine for more or less clearance, but to me that just shouts a halfass amount of machining went into the engine.

Oh well, no real good news yet except for the new engine stand I got in. It's a 4 post roller, 63:1 geared 1000lb rotator. Another words it has a support beam and a crank handle that you turn to spin the engine over instead of doing it via a bar or by hand. I can't wait to try it out
Old 03-19-2013, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Hell yeah man by next year ill be 100% on kill mode so def try and make it out... Damn tho that sucks maybe because your just using a 6.0 block? I had them build my motor to handle 1500 easy but that's with a lsx block.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a slick build! reed who richard is talking about builds turbos, not kits. but he will build a badass turbo for you. all of us alabama boys are running his turbos. i can send you all his info, but richard can as well.

Do you know what trans brake you are running? i assume rossler since its an ace trans.

i have aseen a lot of power pushed through stock blocks. 1100 has happened many times, but when you start turning it up the few times you say. keep in mind its not going to slowly wear when you over power it. **** will go BOOM!!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Three6GMC
Hell yeah man by next year ill be 100% on kill mode so def try and make it out... Damn tho that sucks maybe because your just using a 6.0 block? I had them build my motor to handle 1500 easy but that's with a lsx block.
Well believe it or not, I got my money back from Erik on good terms and went to LME. They're assembling a 427 LSX for me kinda just like you have. Callie's Dragonslayer, Callie's Ultra H-Beam rods, Wiseco pistons, and a host of other goodies. Lol hope you don't call me a copycat but I got a great price and a wealth of knowledge.

Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way
Sounds like a slick build! reed who richard is talking about builds turbos, not kits. but he will build a badass turbo for you. all of us alabama boys are running his turbos. i can send you all his info, but richard can as well.

Do you know what trans brake you are running? i assume rossler since its an ace trans.

i have aseen a lot of power pushed through stock blocks. 1100 has happened many times, but when you start turning it up the few times you say. keep in mind its not going to slowly wear when you over power it. **** will go BOOM!!
Yep well that's really up in the air too so far as a turbo goes.

Also yes you are correct. It is a Rossler T-Brake.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:28 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Did Brian give you a time frame on the engine?
Old 03-19-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

is it a little sluggish or late on command going into 3rd as well? i would assume its a small leak somewhere in the direct clutch feed from the brake itself on the trans issue. just a side note since you brought it up
Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Atomic
Did Brian give you a time frame on the engine?
Indeed! 3 weeks out.
is it a little sluggish or late on command going into 3rd as well? i would assume its a small leak somewhere in the direct clutch feed from the brake itself on the trans issue. just a side note since you brought it up
Thank you for the advice. However, no, third gear is sweet as hell. Gilbert informs me that he put a heavy spring on the transbrake.... :/ I don't like it. Any advice on why he would do that?
Old 03-20-2013, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Ahh ok. its so that it will release quicker. dont want it dragging when you.come off the button!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ahh ok. its so that it will release quicker. dont want it dragging when you.come off the button!
Hmm. Well I'm glad you know because I sure as hell didn't
Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

Voodoo black magic, as I call it

Quick Reply: Gray Ghost turbo 427 LSX build