PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Funkster's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys, how was that for a complete lack of updates? I have been throwing some money at our Subaru lately and am going to try to balance both projects a bit better from this point.

Not much has happened with the truck to be honest. I received a Magnaflow 3" bullet from a member on here and had it installed. Pretty happy with how that came out. I also picked up an e-fan harness and a set of F-Body fans to put on. Truck is already unlocked on HP Tuners, but need to find time for my friend and I to tinker with it. Will probably go ahead and throw a bit of a tune on it as well.

I did also pick up a new set of tires for the stock wheels, but they are just Radial Rover All Season tires, nothing special. Picked up the Tahoe wheels as well, they are just setting in the garage until I can do something with them.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:33 AM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool project, I always liked white silverados...Can you do a small write-up on how you repaired the chips?
Old 03-04-2013, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RibeiroBJJ
Cool project, I always liked white silverados...Can you do a small write-up on how you repaired the chips?
There are a few on the Dr. Colorchip system out there if you are looking for somethign right away. However, I will probably be fixing a few more when it warms up in a few weeks. I can do one then.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome build can't wait for you to dig into the motor.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tuckin15s
Awesome build can't wait for you to dig into the motor.
Thanks for the kind words.

Hopefully I can start to give you guys more interesting posts to view.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

Nothing too exciting, but I did pick up another piece of the puzzle last night.

Name:  4L80E.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  368.8 KB

Name:  Tagfrom4L80E.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  485.0 KB

I also dropped the hitch off the back of it. Probably shaved a good chunk of weight. (although from the worst place) I will likely refinish it in case I need it in the future.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:16 PM
12 Second Club

Got my e-fans installed tonight along with help from a couple of friends. Didn't get a chance to really test them out as it is snowing pretty good here.

Also, won't need it for a while but picked this up off of a friend tonight.

Name:  c3df78ca-6d4c-4b71-a543-862471a26dd6.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  347.7 KB

Last edited by Funkster; 03-10-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

This last weekend got a bit more done. Put a tune on the truck that firmed up the shifts and bumped timing a bit. Get a little 1-2 chirp now.

Changed the work lights over to LED bulbs as well. A little brighter and a lot easier on the eyes.

Stock:
Name:  StockWorkLights.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  263.5 KB

Stock on the left, LED on the right:
Name:  Stock-LeftLED-Right.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  266.8 KB

Both LEDs installed:
Name:  LEDWorkLights.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  270.9 KB

Also did a bit of engine bay work. Plan to cut the air box for a bit more airflow and figured I would do some sprucing up and additional work in the process.

I took of the stock airbox mounting plate and cleaned it up first.
Name:  AirBoxPlateStock.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  521.2 KB

Then I laid out a grid and using a punch and a small bit got some pilot holes started.
Name:  AirBoxPlate-PilotHoles.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  548.4 KB

Then I stepped up the bits until I had 3/4" holes.
Name:  AirBoxPlate-75holes.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  558.5 KB

I then put the modified plate and plate mount into my stripper tank, did an outgas cycle, blasted the box plate and hit the mount with a Roloc since it had some rust on it.
Name:  BoxplateandMountStripped.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  403.6 KB

Coated both pieces and all the mounting bolts in flat black. I apologize for the terrible photo.
Name:  BoxPlateampMountCoatedBlack.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  601.9 KB

I need to get the air box cut as well, but ran out of time. That will be a project for tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Finished the air box bottom the other day. Decided to drill holes instead of cutting it up, came out looking good and I think will do the job just fine.

Name:  AirBoxBottom.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  620.7 KB

Also got the 4L80E up on the stand and dropped the pan.

Name:  TransPan.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  521.7 KB

Name:  PanMagnet.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  616.9 KB

Can't say it or the magnet were pretty, but I pans that have had a lot more in them have held up to more power than I will make for a while. Gotta save for a couple weeks now and then will be picking up my torque converter. In the mean time I am going to do some more small maintanence things and maybe a bit of interior work.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 PM
12 Second Club

Last weekend I swapped out my stock end link and swaybar bushings for Energy Suspension pieces. The install was pretty easy as I was lucky my bolts weren't all rusted to hell. The result seems to be less body roll and more corner stability. The downside is, it didn't fix the clunk I am having in the front. So that is still on the list to find and fix.

After that I went to swap the license plate lights to LEDs and relaized they weren't working. I changed the bulbs assuming they were both burned out, and they still didn't work. Everything was plugged in as it should be, so I pulled the license plate harness.

I took the harness apart and found a smashed connector pin and a cut up and smash wire. I replaced the wire and soldered on new pins. I cleaned up all the loom with some degreaser, heat shrinked the look and wrapped the still visible parts in electrical tape.

Name:  PlateLightHarness.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  549.5 KB

Powered it up with my makeshift 12v testing station and tested it out. Both lights lit up as they should.

Also picked these up.
Name:  ShiftKitandFilterKit.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  393.8 KB

I have a spare crossmember on the way and it should be here tomorrow. I am going to get it cut and welded for the 4L80E this weekend as well as pick up some manifold flanges for the turbo kit.

Quick Reply: Funkster's Build Thread