PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2006 ECSB With Ridetech's New Wishbone Coilover Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 06:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff71
I first discovered it while checking my driveshaft for u-joint play, I was getting a driveline vibration that was due to a faulty u-joint. While taking the ds out I noticed that the spiral retaining ring had come out of the joint, it was trapped and just hanging on the through bolt. I put it back together, although incorrectly, and went for another test drive. This time I was making sharp turns back and forth and I could feel the rear end move around. It's like the truck would plant to turn and then you could feel the rear shift over some more and then it would turn. Anyway, decided to hold off and call RT for advise. The pointed my to the layout in the link in my earlier post. I then put it together correctly and it hasn't been a problem since. I'm sure it was just oversight during the original assembly by whomever at RT.

So far, I like it a lot better than the leafs and it rides so much smoother and feels way more planted.

Based on conversations with RT and looking at the test truck they have up on their site, I was expecting to have to buy shorter rear springs to get it down where I want it but was surprised that it's right in the range of what I wanted. I'm currently running 275/40R20's at 28.6" OD and would like a center of fender well opening to ground measurement of 28.5". It's currently about 28 5/8th's in the rear and 28 3/4 in the front.

Rear springs are 225 and my fronts are, I believe, 700. I pieced my front end together before RT offered the kit so, had to come up with spring rates on my own. I used a lot of info from the breeblebox thread on adding coil overs and used some online spring rate calculators. I'd eventually like to change my front upper CO mount to the RT mount and raise my spring rate to 800 or more.

Your deal turned out great btw and good looking truck you got!

I'm trying to get a idea of how much drop you ended up with for the parts you used. Which length shock length did you use up front, 4.1? You have strong arms and 2" drop spindle? RT upper mounting bracket? Are those measurements for the fender to ground the same for the front too, which would be approximately 14.25' center of wheel to fender?
Thanks!
Old 12-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cprocha
I'm trying to get a idea of how much drop you ended up with for the parts you used. Which length shock length did you use up front, 4.1? You have strong arms and 2" drop spindle? RT upper mounting bracket? Are those measurements for the fender to ground the same for the front too, which would be approximately 14.25' center of wheel to fender?
Thanks!
How much drop? No idea really but probably close to 5/7.
Front shock length? 4.1
Strong arms and 2" drop spindle? I currently have Strong arms and OEM spindle BUT I have 8" springs vs. the 10" springs that come in the RT kits.
RT upper mounting bracket? The RT kit has an upper bracket included that looks like it moves the upper mounting point of the shock out, towards the wheel/tire, compared to where my current mount is located. This will change the spring angle which would impact spring rates etc...
Measurements for the fender to ground? I listed 28 5/8" for the rear and 28 3/4" for the front. I have no idea how that translates to the center of wheel to fender but could check it sometime and let you know.
The following users liked this post:
cprocha (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 01:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jeff71
How much drop? No idea really but probably close to 5/7.
Front shock length? 4.1
Strong arms and 2" drop spindle? I currently have Strong arms and OEM spindle BUT I have 8" springs vs. the 10" springs that come in the RT kits.
RT upper mounting bracket? The RT kit has an upper bracket included that looks like it moves the upper mounting point of the shock out, towards the wheel/tire, compared to where my current mount is located. This will change the spring angle which would impact spring rates etc...
Measurements for the fender to ground? I listed 28 5/8" for the rear and 28 3/4" for the front. I have no idea how that translates to the center of wheel to fender but could check it sometime and let you know.

Thanks for info!
Are you running an upper bracket like RTs or Atomic's with an eye mount or are you using a stud mount on the shock to use the factory shock mount?
Is using the 8"spring dropping the ride more? I'm guessing no if you are still having to put the ride height of the shock in the same area regardless of spring length.

Last edited by cprocha; 12-11-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

My upper bracket is just a stem to eye conversion bracket, it keeps the upper mounting point right in-line with the factory shock mount. If you go to RT site and look at their mount, it pushes the top of the shock out towards the wheel/tire some.
Well you need to keep the shock in the general area but it'd probably be lower than a truck with a 10" spring and OEM spindle. Of course, I could add a 2" spindle and be that much lower.

What are you trying to accomplish or figure out?
Old 12-11-2018, 05:07 PM
Teching In

Yeah I seen the offset of the RT bracket on anther post, but was just wondering if you was using a similar bracket that is inline for an eye or a RT stud mount thru the factor shock mount.

I was just gathering info since i have a reg cab too and everyone seems to piece their front together a little differently. I just have a 2/4 spindles in front and shackle/hanger in rear but may go to 4/6 when I do this conversion.
Thanks for the info again
Old 12-12-2018, 02:52 PM
Still moddin'

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks familiar. We just did it on my RCSB a few weeks ago. I opted for the ride height sensors, which were a PITA to install correctly
Old 04-29-2019, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

ohhh I like those wheels, request specs and name?!
Old 05-03-2019, 01:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by slowness
ohhh I like those wheels, request specs and name?!
DUB Luxe 20x9.
The following users liked this post:
slowness (06-07-2019)