TOWING & OFFROAD PERFORMANCE Towing |Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |where the pavement ends.

4wd Long travel Coilover Conversion.

Old 08-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd Long travel Coilover Conversion.

Does anyone know of anyone that makes a kit/suspension system to convert a 2003 1500 4wd silvarado from a torsion bar setup to a coil over without eliminating the 4wd?

I called Camburg engineering and they quoted me anywhere from 10,000 to 15,000 for a customs setup (and that was just for the front! not including rear suspension or wheels and tires!). This is the only thing I could find. http://www.rockkrawler.com/

I cant afford a high dollar custom setup. I use my truck as a Daily driver and go out to the southern california deserts quite often. I still want to be able to use my bed to haul engines, parts, wood, gear, etc. Any suggestions?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Its kind of the holy grail for 4wd IFS from the factory, everybody really wants it but nobody seems to be able to find it.

Its just with the short unequal length control arms and limited halfshafts, you really have to completely rebuild the hole suspension to get more travel from it.

The rockkrawler kit has been out for a while, but it won't net you any more travel, just the bling of coilovers. Coilovers that for a while(not sure if they still are) bolting into the shock mount, the shock mount just wasn't built to hold the front of the truck up and is a problem IMO.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bggrnchvy

The rockkrawler kit has been out for a while, but it won't net you any more travel, just the bling of coilovers. Coilovers that for a while(not sure if they still are) bolting into the shock mount, the shock mount just wasn't built to hold the front of the truck up and is a problem IMO.
I thought the same thing when I saw the rock krawler suspenion. They do provide a new mount for the coilovers that attach to the frame but my concern is that the frame was not engineered to support the weight of the truck in that specific spot with a small mount. The kit claims 13-14 inches of front wheel travel.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Yea, Ive seen there claimed wheel travel. There's just no way they can increase it over stock with whats in the kit so Im not sure how they are measuring that.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:17 PM
Launching!

I read the magazine review about the rock krawler setup on their website and without saying anything bad about it they kept hinting that the ride was too soft for serious whoops and offroading.

Another thing that bothers me about it is that there company is based on the east coast. I think somewhere in New York. Nothing against east coast shops but they probably arent going to be testing any of their products in the baja 500 or Laughlin runs any time soon.

Does anybody make a suspension system that is somewhere in between a simple lift kit and a full on custom or race setup?

I want something I can drive on the street and still take it out to el mirage, 29 palms, the dunes, etc.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That rockkrawler setup is imo. I called them about it when they first posted it on their site. I asked "does it include an engine cage?" reply: "no, it just mounts to shock hoops". "are they connected in any way?" "no". "Will this handle going slightly airborn or a decent whoop section?" "The shock towers will bend. We highly suggest not to use it off-road at speed". "So how is someone supposed to use the travel that you advertise?" "..... If you want to do that you will beat up your truck. Our system cannont handle this." "Thanks anyway, goodbye."

Your best bet will be to have it custom fabricated. I found a company that has lca's and some other components pre-fabbed for it, but they require you to leave your truck w/ them to custom make the cage, or you can do it yourself. oh yeah, they also require about $7,000 for just the front. But that can be expected.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:01 PM
On The Tree

I have been east coast for about 8 years now (Virginia) and I cannot find a single place north to south on this coast that would allow testing like that. Closest I could think of would be an open farm with plenty of rolling hills to jump. And doing a little research on that kit says to me that it is a BIG steaming pile. Even asked my buddies at Slick Trick in Va Beach and they said that the Chevy front end would need massive mods to work like they say it does.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Good luck ever having a streetable truck with the desert kit!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle313
Does anyone know of anyone that makes a kit/suspension system to convert a 2003 1500 4wd silvarado from a torsion bar setup to a coil over without eliminating the 4wd?

I called Camburg engineering and they quoted me anywhere from 10,000 to 15,000 for a customs setup (and that was just for the front! not including rear suspension or wheels and tires!). This is the only thing I could find. http://www.rockkrawler.com/

I cant afford a high dollar custom setup. I use my truck as a Daily driver and go out to the southern california deserts quite often. I still want to be able to use my bed to haul engines, parts, wood, gear, etc. Any suggestions?
I know somebody that can help you out. I have a 2002 silverado with 4wd and they are building me uppers and lowers, shock hoop and coil over for way less than any other place is charging. Superior quality work, you won't be disappointed. Email me clintperales@yahoo.com
Old 08-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Launching!

1999-2006 Chevy 4wd 1500 Long Travel Suspension Kit - Long Travel Suspensions - Dixon Bros Racing

Or look for a 08 and up silverado 4x4 they comes with struts not torsion bars ..im not sure but, think them lower and upper arms fit our older trucks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4wd Long travel Coilover Conversion.