PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Phantomx55 - Procharged RCSB 4x4 Sleeper Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Phantomx55 - Project "Hot Sauce" - Procharged RCSB 4x4

It's been a few years since I sold my Tahoe and posted much on here. Had a 2013 WRX for a while that I enjoyed and followed that with a 1985 Monte Carlo SS which was fun, but not really daily driver material..

All the while I have missed these trucks, and figuring that I still had the procharger from my Tahoe, I decided to jump back in.

Picked this truck up in the Bronx from a couple who used it for road trips/rock climbing adventures mostly. They had converted the bed/cap into somewhat of a camper but they kept the interior, just left me with the cap.

Some details:

2010 GMC Sierra SLE
5.3 V8 4x4 - 110k miles (basically all highway)

So here she is:

Last edited by Phantomx55; 06-29-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

What are your plans/goals with the truck?
Old 05-25-2017, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Not sure yet where I may end up with it. Definitely keeping it as a daily for a while so not going to crazy to start. Gonna keep it mild with just the procharger and headers for now, but I do have a lq4 in my garage that I was going to have built eventually that I may swap to in the future
Old 05-25-2017, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

Took off and sold the cap. Like the look a lot better without. Also added some NFab Nerf bars to help me get in.

The wheels are all messed up with the finish chipped off everywhere. Ended up getting another set of wheels and tires that I will post up shortly

Old 05-25-2017, 01:07 PM
11 Second Club

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

You should have left the heavy *** cap on for the full sleeper look, I like the red. It looks good
Old 05-25-2017, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Here are the headers. I went with Texas Speed's 1 7/8" headers and Y pipe and wrapped them with 2" lava wrap. They looked very nice for the price and fitment wasn't too bad. Had to dent in a little of the underbody to fit the passenger side in but wasn't bad or noticeable. Have it running to my stock exhaust for now. Much deeper tone then stock but still quite subtle at lower rpms

And all the procharger parts ready to go in!

Old 05-25-2017, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MrHorsepowerLSx
You should have left the heavy *** cap on for the full sleeper look, I like the red. It looks good
Yea I thought of that but I wanted to save the weight and just wasn't a big fan of it in general.
Old 05-25-2017, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Installed a tru cool 40k that I never had put on my Tahoe. Trans temps reached 210º+ with no load during summer days last year.

After installing the tru cool I towed/hauled ~4000lbs (boat and gear) 600 miles round-trip to Lake Champlain through the Adirondack mountains in 90º+ heat and the peak temperature it reached was 173º.

Also mounted up the intercooler. Got the intercooler from Trick Performance for a great price. No instructions to install but found a good write up on this site and was quite easy to put in. Feels solid with the provided mounts and very happy with the outcome.

Old 05-26-2017, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

And here's the pictures after the install so far. A bit thrown together with studs for part of the procharger bracket by the alternator that helped align everything a bit better and somewhat random piping I ran from some of the old kit. Probably going to eventually switch to the HOB direct drive and will get some custom piping made up at that time. Also had a bit of an accident and need a new bumper before I can put the grill back on to hide the intercooler..

Also a pic of the gauge. Went with an AEM Wideband Failsafe 30-4900. Have it set to show boost/vacuum on the digital center display and AFR ratio on the outer digital dial.

Old 05-26-2017, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

So now that I am up to date I can go over some details.

The head unit was originally a P1sc from my Tahoe that I had rebuilt to a D1sc but never re-installed. It sat in the shed for a few years in the packaging from procharger until this build. Unfortunately a bearing failed after 2k miles and pieces ran through the gears and siezed the head unit. Sent it to procharger and had to have it rebuilt again.

Not 100% sure what cause it to fail, but when I tried taking the belt off I had to pry it off the pulleys. Had ECS tuning finish up the install and they ended up ordering the belt for me and installing it but when installed it had no tension left in tensioner and was actually stretched beyond that. Not sure if that may have caused the bearing to fail originally.. but for now I installed a belt that's 1 1/4" longer which was the next standard size up I could find. The new belt does have a lot of slip though and I just ordered a gates RPM belt which is a 1/4" shorter and shouldn't stretch out. Hopefully that will be the trick for now until I can afford a HOB direct drive bracket.

Also ordered an elite catch can setup to help with the blow by. Already seemed to have a decent amount of residue in the intercooler piping from the 2k miles I did drive it.