PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2006 ECSB With Ridetech's New Wishbone Coilover Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff71
Be sure to check those R-joints, to make sure they were assembled correctly. The one in the upper wishbone has come apart on my truck and it doesn't appear that it was assembled correctly. I've been in touch with Ride Tech and they asked for a picture of it on my truck and then if I could assemble it per the illustration here: http://www.ridetech.com/products/r-joint-en/
Yikes, I'll check it out. Any pics of your truck? How long have you been driving on this kit?
Old 06-20-2018, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Move those coil overs to the inside and they may be on to something... need more room for tire lol
There is still a lot of room for more tire. You could probably run a 10+" wheel and 305s
Old 06-20-2018, 02:51 PM
Formerly Phaze 2/1/16

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Subbed for future reference. Truck looks great, the stance is perfect!
The following users liked this post:
06sierra5.3 (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 06sierra5.3
Yikes, I'll check it out. Any pics of your truck? How long have you been driving on this kit?
I had about 30 miles on it when I noticed the R-joint issue. I squared that away last night, best I can tell, it was just assembled incorrectly as the spiral lock and wave lock were on opposite sides of the joint when they should have been on the same side.

06sierra5.3 (06-20-2018)
Old 06-20-2018, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

I had about 30 miles on it when I noticed the R-joint issue. I squared that away last night, best I can tell, it was just assembled incorrectly as the spiral lock and wave lock were on opposite sides of the joint when they should have been on the same side.

What were the symptoms?
how do you like it so far. Did you find that it sat lower than you expected? Are you on 800lb and 225lb springs?

Last edited by 06sierra5.3; 06-20-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Khaos.
Subbed for future reference. Truck looks great, the stance is perfect!
thank you. A little lower than I wanted, but I can live with it. Just trying to get the kinks worked out

Here's an Imgur album with all the pics: https://imgur.com/a/xQxaOPQ
Khaos. (06-23-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

I first discovered it while checking my driveshaft for u-joint play, I was getting a driveline vibration that was due to a faulty u-joint. While taking the ds out I noticed that the spiral retaining ring had come out of the joint, it was trapped and just hanging on the through bolt. I put it back together, although incorrectly, and went for another test drive. This time I was making sharp turns back and forth and I could feel the rear end move around. It's like the truck would plant to turn and then you could feel the rear shift over some more and then it would turn. Anyway, decided to hold off and call RT for advise. The pointed my to the layout in the link in my earlier post. I then put it together correctly and it hasn't been a problem since. I'm sure it was just oversight during the original assembly by whomever at RT.

So far, I like it a lot better than the leafs and it rides so much smoother and feels way more planted.

Based on conversations with RT and looking at the test truck they have up on their site, I was expecting to have to buy shorter rear springs to get it down where I want it but was surprised that it's right in the range of what I wanted. I'm currently running 275/40R20's at 28.6" OD and would like a center of fender well opening to ground measurement of 28.5". It's currently about 28 5/8th's in the rear and 28 3/4 in the front.

Rear springs are 225 and my fronts are, I believe, 700. I pieced my front end together before RT offered the kit so, had to come up with spring rates on my own. I used a lot of info from the breeblebox thread on adding coil overs and used some online spring rate calculators. I'd eventually like to change my front upper CO mount to the RT mount and raise my spring rate to 800 or more.

Your deal turned out great btw and good looking truck you got!
06sierra5.3 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-21-2018, 03:22 PM
TECH Resident

I first discovered it while checking my driveshaft for u-joint play, I was getting a driveline vibration that was due to a faulty u-joint. While taking the ds out I noticed that the spiral retaining ring had come out of the joint, it was trapped and just hanging on the through bolt. I put it back together, although incorrectly, and went for another test drive. This time I was making sharp turns back and forth and I could feel the rear end move around. It's like the truck would plant to turn and then you could feel the rear shift over some more and then it would turn. Anyway, decided to hold off and call RT for advise. The pointed my to the layout in the link in my earlier post. I then put it together correctly and it hasn't been a problem since. I'm sure it was just oversight during the original assembly by whomever at RT.

So far, I like it a lot better than the leafs and it rides so much smoother and feels way more planted.

Based on conversations with RT and looking at the test truck they have up on their site, I was expecting to have to buy shorter rear springs to get it down where I want it but was surprised that it's right in the range of what I wanted. I'm currently running 275/40R20's at 28.6" OD and would like a center of fender well opening to ground measurement of 28.5". It's currently about 28 5/8th's in the rear and 28 3/4 in the front.

Rear springs are 225 and my fronts are, I believe, 700. I pieced my front end together before RT offered the kit so, had to come up with spring rates on my own. I used a lot of info from the breeblebox thread on adding coil overs and used some online spring rate calculators. I'd eventually like to change my front upper CO mount to the RT mount and raise my spring rate to 800 or more.

Your deal turned out great btw and good looking truck you got!

Thanks for the feedback. I just repaired my front shocks, The ***** on the front Vikings hit the lower Strongarm and smashed the ***** it and ruined the lower bearing. Got it buttoned up, fixed a lean in the back and it sits much better now. Just drove it about 15 miles and it feels great. I did some low speed slalom-like turns up and down the street, cranked it around a few corners and it feels solid and tight. I am very happy. I just have to dial it in for DD duty now.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

I hear you on dialing it in, more ***** = more possible wrong settings, lol.

Did the hellwig rear bar work with the RT stuff? I've got Hotchkis front and rear bars from on old TVS kit I had on the truck at one time. I took the rear bar off, to have out of the way, to install the RT stuff and haven't had a chance to see if it'll work or not.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

I hear you on dialing it in, more ***** = more possible wrong settings, lol.

Did the hellwig rear bar work with the RT stuff? I've got Hotchkis front and rear bars from on old TVS kit I had on the truck at one time. I took the rear bar off, to have out of the way, to install the RT stuff and haven't had a chance to see if it'll work or not.
Yes it does and I called them ahead too and they said they often use Hellwig stuff.

1. The Hellwig rear bar his the exhaust hanger that's welded on to the crossmember, it needs to be cut off.

2. My exhaust was in the way of the sway bar, so it had to come off. So with those 2 things, we ended up cutting the exhaust off almost back to the muffler. It actually sounds a bit better now.

My truck was 1"+ lower in the rear from left to right. I got under the truck and this is what I was looking at. Sway bar end hitting the exhaust hangar.
2006 ECSB With Ridetech's New Wishbone Coilover Conversion-bmov7ow.jpg

I cut it off and re-tightened the bar. You can see how far it moved outwards on its own from the original position
2006 ECSB With Ridetech's New Wishbone Coilover Conversion-yraiqm0.jpg

Also, the other side need to be repositioned
2006 ECSB With Ridetech's New Wishbone Coilover Conversion-pj32lft.jpg

At first, I cut just the end of the exhaust off, but then it lifted and sat against the suspension brackets, so we just cut it off back to the muffler
2006 ECSB With Ridetech's New Wishbone Coilover Conversion-ljqmmqg.jpg

we cut the exhaust back to about the green line, right to the other hangar
Name:  WzsOh4f.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  95.2 KB

This is what the bar looks like from above, crazy swoopy shape
2006 ECSB With Ridetech's New Wishbone Coilover Conversion-5hmx56b.jpg

Quick Reply: 2006 ECSB With Ridetech's New Wishbone Coilover Conversion