PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 03:18 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

GM no longer sell painted door handles. They are paint to match and come in black primer.

You might be able to get the tailgate handle in red with a red bezel but they are not cheap. Last time we replaced a red tailgate handle bezel it was on backorder. When the back order was released, we also had to wait a week while it came in from michigan.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:29 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
GM no longer sell painted door handles. They are paint to match and come in black primer.

You might be able to get the tailgate handle in red with a red bezel but they are not cheap. Last time we replaced a red tailgate handle bezel it was on backorder. When the back order was released, we also had to wait a week while it came in from michigan.
Yeah I looked at the handles yesterday, and they were all black primer. Super cheap though, and I have a friend that is a painter that can spray they for cheap.

I took the truck to the track last night to get a baseline with the new setup. Ended up running 14.1 at 99mph. It was a "truck night" at the track, so the prep was basically none. It's mostly highschool kids in jacked up trucks running around. The truck honestly hooks better on the street than it did at the track last night. Couldn't stall it up at all, and it would spin with anymore than about half throttle.
Best 60' was 2.2....I think it trapped right around the 90mph mark with the 5.3, so it's making more power for sure.

I think the tune is still setup fairly conservative as far as the timing goes. First pass it logged about 19-20* basically anywhere about 3000rpms at WOT, and it trapped 98. I added a couple of degrees to it to make it 22-23* the last run when it went 99. I'm still brand new at tuning, so I didn't want to do much with it. Just trying to learn as I go. I am going to send the logs and the tune file to Atomic today for him to look over and make sure I didn't screw anything up, and he can tweak it as needed. What timing do most guys run with NA setups like this at WOT, just for reference?

I'll try to get back to the track soon to make a few more passes. The truck needs a set of wheels and tires for the track soon, but it'll have to wait for a little while.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My setup is similar to yours and I run 21 degrees of timing at WOT.
I'm surprised your MPH isn't stronger with a LQ9 and that cam. Do you know what the weight of the truck is? What gears in the rear end?
Truck looks amazing. The wheels and the height is perfect.
Old 10-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SCOTT_A
My setup is similar to yours and I run 21 degrees of timing at WOT.
I'm surprised your MPH isn't stronger with a LQ9 and that cam. Do you know what the weight of the truck is? What gears in the rear end?
Truck looks amazing. The wheels and the height is perfect.
I was expecting closer to 105ish too, but it is what it is. I could have gotten a little more power out of this setup if I had milled the heads or run a set of 243s, but I want to put either a procharger or turbo on it at some point. I just left the 317s alone.

Not sure on the weight of the truck. I figure probably north of 4600 pounds, and I ran with a passenger all night. Gears are 3.73s I think with the stock g80. I need to check to see what gears are in it for sure.

Thanks for the compliments. It's definitely getting closer to where I want it to be, but it needs a paint job soon. The clear is failing in several spots now, and it flaked off about a 2' section yesterday when I was pressure-washing it. Just something else to add to the list....
Old 10-28-2018, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the build! I wish I could find a stock single cab around here. They are in high demand around these parts.