PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 06:12 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread

I've had this truck for close to a year now, and I'm finally getting around to getting some things done to it. I figured I'd start a build thread to track my progress.

The truck is a 2003 Sierra RCSB 2wd with a 5.3 and fully optioned for a reg cab to my knowledge. I bought it with ~180k miles on it, and it is about 200 miles away from 200k now. When I bought the truck it already had a 2" drop shackle in the back with helper bags. Other than that it was pretty much stock other than some blue LEDs in the gauge cluster (which need to be redone since they did a crappy job and the tach stepper motor has died) and a flowmaster muffler with dual tips (which has numerous exhaust leaks).

First thing I did was fix the driver side climate control switch since it had died and I removed a tacky billet grill that was on it, but everything else remained the same. I was waiting on the tires that were on it to wear out before I started doing things to it, so here we are....

The truck as it sat about a month and a half ago...
2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread-zb2gjrg.jpg
2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread-ee5tkyi.jpg

Then I bought some 2015 GMC Sierra 20" wheels and new tires for $800.
2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread-qpmqitu.jpg
2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread-ml7bqly.jpg

Once that was done, I got some Belltech 2" drop springs locally for $50 and ordered the rear drop hangers from Belltech to drop the rear 2 more inches for a 2/4 total drop. Also installed new Belltech Street Performance struts on all four corners at this time. I also cut off the tips that came off the flowmastet muffler at the same time.
2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread-3t25csk.jpg
2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread-f4vm4zm.jpg
2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread-m8gq9bv.jpg
2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread-hqgdonn.jpg

Once I got it dropped the brackets for the helper bags rubbed a hole in them because the previous owner installed the brackets at an angle and I didn't notice that they were rubbing. Without any air in the bags, the truck constantly hit the bumpstops and rode like a wagon. I bought a Belltech c-notch kit, and put it on last weekend. The truck rides great now. Extremely well made kit.
2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread-niyiecz.jpg

While putting on the c-notch I had to pry against the exhaust a little bit, and it opened up one of the exhaust leaks even further at one of the joints in the exhaust. The truck now sounds even worse, so I ordered a Borla XR1 3" round muffler and a set of Texas Speed 1-3/4" longtubes and ORY pipe with v-bands for joining everything. I plan on running a full 3" out the back and turn out behind the passenger wheel.

I have also considered running it out in front of the passenger wheel, but I'm not sure how that'll look yet.....thoughts?

The muffler is already here, the headers are coming in today, and the clamps will be here tomorrow. I will likely try to get the headers installed and exhaust run next week then schedule a tune to get as much as I can out of it.

On the fence on whether I want to put a BTR truck cam in the 5.3 or go ahead and start building a 6.0 on the side to put in it...

Anyways, it's exciting to finally get some stuff done on the truck. I'll keep the thread updated as stuff happens.
The following users liked this post:
Travis Collier (01-01-2018)
Old 10-27-2017, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice truck!....build the 6.0, without a turbo or blower the 5.3 will disappoint
Old 10-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

The 6.0 would be a better starting point.
The tsp truck cams will gain you more and be quieter than the btr also.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good looking truck! i love these. that thing will be real cool when you get closer to where you wanna be! keep up the good work
Old 10-28-2017, 02:14 PM
Launching!

The end goal is to put a blower on the truck paired with a stalled 4L80. I've had a turbo build on my 01 Camaro SS, and while a turbo setup may be capable of more, I kind of like the idea of the instant torque of a Maggie. The 6.0 with gen IV internals would, no doubt, be a better base and capable of more power. The other option would be to go ahead and get a used blower from someone and get it put on this 5.3. If it ever came apart I could go 6.0 at that time. I think I would be satisfied for a while with 500whp for a daily truck...
Old 11-19-2017, 09:02 AM
Launching!

Small update. I got the TSP 1-3/4 headers intalled with an ory, all v-banded, and run a 3" exhaust through a Borla XR-1 out behind the right rear tire. I was really surprised at how well the Borla kept the truck quiet without any cats and longtubes. No drone whatsoever, and it has a good mellow tone.

I also took the truck to the track Friday night for a baseline run. It ran a 14.805 at 92. I'm pleased with it for a starting point. On the fence about what my next mods will be. I'm leaning towards electric fans, cai, and then a tune. Any idea if the cai will be worth the money? I just like the idea of freeing up some room under the hood with the electric fans and a cai...
The following users liked this post:
Travis Collier (01-01-2018)
Old 11-25-2017, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

Nice project you've got going on there.

Looking forward to updates.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:50 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Use the spectre cai. its just as good as any of the others and cheaper than most
Old 11-26-2017, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the truck tuned? 14.8 is really good for just headers and exhaust
Old 11-27-2017, 05:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1slow99
is the truck tuned? 14.8 is really good for just headers and exhaust
No tune yet. That is one of the next things I have planned. It may be a little bit before I get to it though. I just spent a good bit of money on a large order of Adams detailing supplies to try and get the paint back in fairly decent shape on this thing. It won't be perfect since there are a couple of spots where the clear coat has already flaked off, but if I can get rid of some of the swirls on the truck I will be happy for now.