PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:59 AM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by 97_ek
On the fence on whether I want to put a BTR truck cam in the 5.3 or go ahead and start building a 6.0 on the side to put in it...
Nice looking Sierra I like the way your build is going, love the color (74U) too

It's a tough call 5.3 performance now or find 6.0 rebuildable core to build over the winter months and be ready for the spring/summer. Just finished buttoning up an LQ9 build for my 4/6 dropped RCSB Sierra. Looking to drop it in February or March, giving me time to research a good torque converter and rear gear setup... any thoughts?

2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread-gv3ficn.jpg
Old 11-28-2017, 06:17 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My only thoughts right now are that I wish my truck was in as good of shape as yours is lol. I'm jealous of the lq9 you have going in. That should make for a fun truck. This will likely be the route that I end up going too.

As far as the gear and converter, I can't offer too much valuable information. I have never had a stalled vehicle before (always had 6 speed cars). My suggestion would be to call someone like Circle D or PTC and give them the specs of your motor and some information about how the truck will be driven. They should be able to spec you one better than just about anyone online.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:27 AM
Launching!

I bought a large supply of Adams detailing products last week, so I started working on some paint correction on my truck last night. I won't be able to get all of the scratches out of this truck since some of them are fairly deep, but I am just looking to return a good shine to the truck and get rid of 90+% of the swirls in the paint. It needs a paintjob to be perfect again.

Last night I did a clay bar, correcting polish, finishing polish, brilliant glaze, and sealant on the hood. It took me about 2 hours to complete, but the results were really good IMO. With the whole truck done, it should really pop, even with the old worn out paint that is on it.

First pic is a before/after comparison of the ceiling light in my garage.
Second pic is a before/after comparison of the shop light I was using.

I need some better lighting/shop space ASAP. I am thinking about getting into this as a hobby that will hopefully turn into a business down the road. I also learned that with a shiny truck, the headlights now look like crap lol.

2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread-ecficgc.jpg
2003 Sierra Daily Driver Build Thread-i96p2h8.jpg

Last edited by 97_ek; 11-28-2017 at 07:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Travis Collier (01-01-2018)
Old 11-28-2017, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Nice job on the polish.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedXray
Nice looking Sierra I like the way your build is going, love the color (74U) too

It's a tough call 5.3 performance now or find 6.0 rebuildable core to build over the winter months and be ready for the spring/summer. Just finished buttoning up an LQ9 build for my 4/6 dropped RCSB Sierra. Looking to drop it in February or March, giving me time to research a good torque converter and rear gear setup... any thoughts?

3200 circle d and 4.11 gears are a good combo imo
Old 11-28-2017, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Polish everything!!!
Old 11-28-2017, 01:58 PM
100% Redneck

Received 1,329 Likes on 792 Posts

The paint correction is looking good! That third pic shows what looks like some pretty deep "RIDS" that compounded out, nice work! My newest compound on the detail cart is Griot's Correction Cream from their BOSS system. Watched a Junkman video and decided to give it a try. It cuts nice with an orange cutting pad and finished down like a fine polish on a hammered out 2015 GMC Terrain. Then finished up with the Griot's Perfecting Cream (polish).

Used the Correcting Cream on my GMC with a black polishing pad and it polished out almost as good as my regular Menzerna SF 4500 super fine polish. I was impressed in that a compound that can cut this well and also finish down like a fine polish, plus it has a nice long working time and zero dust. It's a DAT (diminishing abrasive technology) product which I enjoy using over most types of SMAT products. The Adams products are good but geared more toward the car enthusiast market. I'm not a professional detailer (retired body/paint tech) but enjoy trying different products mixing this or that, looking for what works best on hard or soft clear paint systems. YMMV

Oh hit those headlights with your most aggressive compound and most aggressive cutting pad. No need for those silly drill restore kits. I use a Carpro Flash Pad as it's the most aggressive pad on the market. It knocks out faded headlights in a "flash".

Amazon Amazon
Old 11-29-2017, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RedXray
The paint correction is looking good! That third pic shows what looks like some pretty deep "RIDS" that compounded out, nice work! My newest compound on the detail cart is Griot's Correction Cream from their BOSS system. Watched a Junkman video and decided to give it a try. It cuts nice with an orange cutting pad and finished down like a fine polish on a hammered out 2015 GMC Terrain. Then finished up with the Griot's Perfecting Cream (polish).

Used the Correcting Cream on my GMC with a black polishing pad and it polished out almost as good as my regular Menzerna SF 4500 super fine polish. I was impressed in that a compound that can cut this well and also finish down like a fine polish, plus it has a nice long working time and zero dust. It's a DAT (diminishing abrasive technology) product which I enjoy using over most types of SMAT products. The Adams products are good but geared more toward the car enthusiast market. I'm not a professional detailer (retired body/paint tech) but enjoy trying different products mixing this or that, looking for what works best on hard or soft clear paint systems. YMMV

Oh hit those headlights with your most aggressive compound and most aggressive cutting pad. No need for those silly drill restore kits. I use a Carpro Flash Pad as it's the most aggressive pad on the market. It knocks out faded headlights in a "flash".

https://www.amazon.com/CarPro-Flash-Pad-5/dp/B00OBMGQO2
Yep, I plan on hitting the headlights tonight if I get time.

When you say that Adam's is geared more towards the enthusiast market, do you mean that Griot's Garage, Wolfgang, etc would be better quality products than Adams? These products are really my first experience with any kind of quality car care components, so I am looking forward to trying out others.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
Polish everything!!!
Deja Vu....
Old 11-29-2017, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Get it polish and Polish everything....haha Polish rule!!!