PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2001 Stepside 4.8 -> LQ9 6.0 Sleeper Build.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Stepside 4.8 -> LQ9 6.0 Sleeper Build.

Back in February, I bought my 2001 Silverado from my parents, who bought it new when I was 11. I have had my eye on it ever since. So when they finally bought a new car, I was the first one in line to buy this one.

The truck is in amazing shape, and still looks brand new with 200,000 miles on it.

After leveling it, I put on new, bigger 33'' BFG AT tires, and about $1000 worth of stereo goodies.

The transmission was replaced about 20,000 miles ago. The shop put in a 4L65e.

The 4.8 ran like butter, but had a slight tapping that never went away. Probably lifter noise. The rear main/oil pan were also leaking, so I had some work ahead, so I decided just to swap in a new engine.

I should note that I have never done something of this scale, did 99% of this alone in my driveway, and I literally was learning as I go, otherwise I would have done a write up.

After some research, I found a LQ9 6.0 out of an 02 Escalade with 75k miles on it, so I bought it.

I tore the engine down to the longblock, pulled the oil pan, and checked it out. I replaced the knock sensors, and gave it a good cleaning and a paint job then added some headers, and a cheap CAI and put her in. I got a Blackbear tune for the new engine.

Took about 3 full days spread out over 3 weekends.

First work day consisted of removing the old one

Second work day consisted of physically installing the new one

The third day, was wiring everything, and putting on the intake/fuel rails etc.

Started up on the first try, and ran smooth as silk. No valvetrain noise whatsoever. I put a magnaflow 18'' muffler on, along with the catless Y pipe and headers, it sounds amazing. Slightly louder at idle, but sounds BEASTLY at anything above 3k RPMS. Cruising on the highway is also quiet.

This thing HAULS ***. So much torque, especially on the low end. I am in love.

PICS

The truck as she sits now

The engine when it showed up on my doorstep

Pulling the old one. Dad watching

The Engine ready to go in

Me looking filthy and confised trying to get this thing in without having to remove the headers. (Spoiler, I had to remove one side)

Doing the wiring. These engine bays have a lot of room, also those injector clips are a PITA.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good buddy. What are your plans for it going forward? Also curious what stereo equipment you installed?
Old 04-29-2016, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 53bowtie
Looks good buddy. What are your plans for it going forward? Also curious what stereo equipment you installed?

• Kicker ZX700.5 - 5 Channel amp (Didn't feel like installing multiple amps)
  • Kicker 41KSS654 6.5 Inch Components in the front doors
  • 1 JL Audio 12W0v3-4 12 Inch Sub in a generic under rear seat sub box
  • Alpine CDE-W265BT Head Unit. (I wanted something double din without a screen, and lots of features. This one fit the bill perfectly.)
As far as going forward, I just wanted a reliable DD with plenty of power. So I'm just gonna drive it and try to keep it looking/running new. Truck gets a lot of compliments from strangers. I guess because of the condition, and the fact that it's a stepside. Although, I am thinking about adding leather to the interior. I don't have many more engine mods planned. (I don't trust the transmission enough) lol

I've got a tuned GTI, and a bike at home, so I don't need to go that much faster in the truck. (for now)

Also, you're in Dallas? I'm just down the road in Houston!
Old 04-29-2016, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Cool man, sounds good.

Yeah I am in Dallas. Houston is probably one of the most represented areas on here I would say so I am sure you will find plenty of people in your area.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Good looking truck, have a suggestion about sub box though, subthump makes a really nice, hard hitting downfire box, you may want to look into.... Has an ampshelf and fits like a glove underbrhe back seat!!