MULTIMEDIA (truck related) Post your Truck pictures and videos (PG-13)

The next project....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The next project....

Link to for sale thread: https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...249000-490333/

I am having my ups and downs with this truck after owning it for just over 24 hours. I bought the truck on my word from Brian in Texas. I had a few issues with the truck, now I am not bad mouthing anyone so don't take it as that. I bought the truck, and I made the mistakes but just wanted to tell everyone just look very good before purchasing.

I met Brian and his dad at the hotel (very nice people). I looked the truck over after a week of talking with Brian on the phone I felt like he was a stand up guy and that he cared about this truck. I crawled under the truck, looked on the inside, he assured me the truck was in perfect mechanical condition. I drove the truck up the road and it ran great and drove really well. I got him to help me a few hundred for the grille needing to be replaced and the paint that the roll pan and tailgate would need, and we made a deal.

Well on the way home I stopped about an hour into the ride to stretch and get a drink, and noticed under the truck one of the support braces that goes right in front of the trans xmember was bent......ahh no big deal. Then I open the center console lid (after asking him about the crack in the lid, he said all of them do that) The lid came off the hinges..... i was a little aggravated but no sweat I owned the truck, then look at the roof....... its balding, like no clear and very little paint, something I didn't notice while at the hotel and simply didn't see cause the truck was dirty from the rain. I was very upset at myself for not seeing this, so I figured I needed to do an entire walk around of the truck again.

Keep in mind I do know this is a 2001 model truck, its going to have flaws. I proceeded to find a few major scratches that weren't mentioned all semi hidden by dirt and road grime, also every part of plastic had been amorall and soaked with a protectant to make them shiny, and those were the only clean parts on the truck.

I picked up the phone and offered to meet Brian back in Dallas (my 7 hour one way trip, then I had made it another hour headed back). I offered to give him the truck and a few hundred for wasting his time if we could undo the deal because I just wasn't satisfied....... he stated the deal was done and he was back home. So I manned up and owned my mistakes and hit the road. Not ten minutes after getting on the interstate, the check engine light came on......... I was a good while from Shreveport but I had a friend there who could help me (Ryan, aka Swerve7000). I text Brian and he said prolly gonna be a maf code....... so I was upset I just said ok thanks, my next text was that I should prolly get a SD tune to fix it....... None of this was mentioned to me before I made a 7 hour one way drive to pick up this truck.

So after all that, I checked the codes and it was a lean bank 1 and 2 (p0171, p0174). I cleared them and drove on home. Spent all day yesterday cleaning the truck and doing some wet sanding trying to please myself but its gonna require a good bit of paint work so I guess I will take it to the body shop soon.

All this being said I just want to say, be sure you know what you are getting top to bottom, I took someones word for more that I should have (weather I got a deal on the truck or not, I spent top dollar and more than I wanted to).

So here are the pics: I will have more to come soon, just spend about 10 hours yesterday cleaning and rubbing on it some and changed the wheels.

how it started:

now:

Old 02-06-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

That sucks. It looks like a nice clean truck though.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would he say it needs a speed density tune....
Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear that, hopes it works out
Old 02-06-2012, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Why would he say it needs a speed density tune....
idk, he replaced the maf and 02 sensors, but the oil filler neck has a breather, so I will be putting a stock oil cap back on and putting the catch can on the pcv driver valve cover.

other than the cosmetics and a few mechanical things its seems to be a good truck, just gonna have to spend mod money on necessity first now
Old 02-06-2012, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough luck man. I learned the same kind of lesson when I bought my '03. I bought it from a guy in Texarkana. Basically a long way from the Houston area. I'll never buy another vehicle that is more than 50 miles away after my experience.

He didn't even make it, his parents made the sale. They dropped it off on fumes. They had taken it hunting that morning. Lost the transmission on the way home. Several instrument cluster gauges failed. The bed of the truck was whipped. After starting the engine swap, we could tell it had seen front end damage. Had a horrible **** headliner w/o sun visors. Mismatched interior. Removed a leaf from the leaf springs. Tires were new, but were 32" on a 2wd with a 4.8. If I hadn't drove for 7 hours, I'd have told them to kick rocks.

Your truck still looks like a nice project. It always blows that you have to fix bullshit problems before you can start on the good stuff.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that sucks, even from what you said the truck still looks pretty decent. Of course pics can and can not do things justice. I always try to tell my sell( my nice is ALOT of peoples perfect) LOL I have bought things in the past that were said to be NICE and to me were busted. Whats all this talk with the breathers causing issues? I have had my pass side cover vented since I added the blower, just plugged the TB hole. No catch cans or anything.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Damn, I didn't even think to look at the roof...

Gonna be a nice one when you get **** rolling!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

The oil filler neck breather is probably why it was giving you the lean codes.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
The oil filler neck breather is probably why it was giving you the lean codes.
How do you figure

Quick Reply: The next project....