MULTIMEDIA (truck related) Post your Truck pictures and videos (PG-13)

The next project....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Its unmetered air. Manifold vacuum draws air in through the crankcase. LTFTs get too far out of whack and trips the lean code.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

So you think it's pulling air through the rings while the engine is running? Idk any other way it'd be pulling air from the crankcase. I don't think that's the issue
Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Mod with training wheels

Lol no, the air doesn't actually come from the crankcase, it comes from that breather because the crankcase now has an opening to atmosphere. Air gets drawn through the crankcase. Its not a huge problem, but the computer noticed something different. The solution is to simply adjust VE for the breather, possibly some idle settings. I have seen this issue on both MAF and MAF-less vehicles.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Lol no, the air doesn't actually come from the crankcase, it comes from that breather because the crankcase now has an opening to atmosphere. Air gets drawn through the crankcase. Its not a huge problem, but the computer noticed something different. The solution is to simply adjust VE for the breather, possibly some idle settings. I have seen this issue on both MAF and MAF-less vehicles.
But what sensors are actually monitoring crankcase air? There aren't any. I just don't see how the O2 sensors or MAF sensor would be affected by venting crankcase air since this air shouldn't be making its way into the combustion chamber.

The only thing I can think of is the PCM is calibrated to account for air being pushed in through the PCV system, which it is no longer getting because it's capped off. But wouldn't the PCM adjust itself for that? Or is it a big enough change that it would need to be tuned for.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Mod with training wheels

Sent you a PM
Old 02-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks to hear man. I'm glad our deal went smoothly which is why I was as up front about everything possible on the wrx, and I can't say enough how up front you were with the truck. Even with it down, I'm still in love with the damn thing, and I've sold vehicles in the past over less lol.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeshow
The oil filler neck breather is probably why it was giving you the lean codes.
Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
So you think it's pulling air through the rings while the engine is running? Idk any other way it'd be pulling air from the crankcase. I don't think that's the issue
Smokeshow is correct... basically what that does is create a vacumm leak... Since the PVC is sucking on one side the breather is letting in fresh unmetered air.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
Smokeshow is correct... basically what that does is create a vacumm leak... Since the PVC is sucking on one side the breather is letting in fresh unmetered air.
I forgot about this little guy here. Thanks for reminding me smokeshow

Old 02-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still a issue if the TB port is blocked off? Just curious I have had the pass cover vented, the TB blocked of for some time now. Maybe it is diff under boost, as it will blow out there.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Mod with training wheels

If its set up that way, there is a pressure difference between your crankcase and cylinder under light load while the manifold is in vacuum, so its prone to drawing oil up past the rings. In boost you're fine because the crankcase pressure can escape.

Maybe we need to get a good PCV thread/sticky going?

Quick Reply: The next project....