INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Want my truck faster

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,433 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I love the stock stall in my Tahoe when I am backing a trailer up hill.

Actually, I love it all the time.

Different strokes, different folks
Old 03-05-2018, 11:03 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Agreed. Maybe the 2600 is a sweet spot. I’ve had friends drive my truck respectfully and haven’t a clue it’s stalled. Whenever I get a “wow it has more power than I thought”, I know they’ve hit it hard.
The stall keeps em honest. Lol
Old 03-06-2018, 04:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Obviously if you're towing the stock stall is gonna be your favorite.

Have y'all ever had a large stall and felt the change it makes?

I've had the "hardly noticeable" stall before too when I had a 2500 rpm stall. Track times also proved it was hardly noticeable... MPG was the same and so were track times, it was a total waste of money.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:11 PM
Launching!

It’s important to find a balance between all the gobs of hp you want, and the drivability you need.

If you put a large stall on a daily driver, it probably won’t be your daily for long. Or you’ll just be the guy who complains about losing MPGs.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mconcha
It’s important to find a balance between all the gobs of hp you want, and the drivability you need.

If you put a large stall on a daily driver, it probably won’t be your daily for long. Or you’ll just be the guy who complains about losing MPGs.
I agree.

I was that guy, but I knew what I was getting into so I didn't care, the mass amounts of fun I had daily was all worth it. I spent a lot of time driving and didn't have much time for fun. I worked a lot and work was 1-2 hours drive each way, and was always going somewhere for work or for the kids so I got my enjoyment where I could.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:51 PM
Launching!

I hear yah. I drive ALOT, and have done a lot of research before buying.

I decided to build my truck from the back forward. This is a nnbs ccsb heavy pig.
So first was the 14 bolt s/f and 3:73 (I drive mostly highway), then a fully built 4l65 (knew I’d never exceed 450whp), now I’m deciding to either build a high revving destroked ls3 or just a basic cammed 6.2.

Life’s not worth living unless you can enjoy it.

My point is, for any one:
Do research till your ears and eyes bleed.
Plan.
Plan some more.
Execute.
Break ****.
Figure out why it broke.
Repeat.

..once you have the vehicle you want to put money into..figure out realistic goals. Especially if yah got a full size crew cab or suv.

For instance, I don’t have the money to build a 1,200hp monster that my heavy *** truck would need to break into the 10’s. Doesn’t make sense to me. I’d rather buy a single cab short bed to start, or even a car.

I knew I wanted a truck to comfortably fit my whole family, enough bed space and tow capacity to get my jobs done, and eventually a mildly built engine to have a little fun w/ a drive terrain to hold the power. That’s without going into specifics.

It’s all the advice I have from my experiences.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mconcha
I hear yah. I drive ALOT, and have done a lot of research before buying.

I decided to build my truck from the back forward. This is a nnbs ccsb heavy pig.
So first was the 14 bolt s/f and 3:73 (I drive mostly highway), then a fully built 4l65 (knew I’d never exceed 450whp), now I’m deciding to either build a high revving destroked ls3 or just a basic cammed 6.2.

Life’s not worth living unless you can enjoy it.

My point is, for any one:
Do research till your ears and eyes bleed.
Plan.
Plan some more.
Execute.
Break ****.
Figure out why it broke.
Repeat.

..once you have the vehicle you want to put money into..figure out realistic goals. Especially if yah got a full size crew cab or suv.

For instance, I don’t have the money to build a 1,200hp monster that my heavy *** truck would need to break into the 10’s. Doesn’t make sense to me. I’d rather buy a single cab short bed to start, or even a car.

I knew I wanted a truck to comfortably fit my whole family, enough bed space and tow capacity to get my jobs done, and eventually a mildly built engine to have a little fun w/ a drive terrain to hold the power. That’s without going into specifics.

It’s all the advice I have from my experiences.
I always build the car then add power, brakes chassis suspension headers exhaust then cam, nitrous or turbo. So basically I do it the same way.

For you a high revving destroker is polar opposite of what you need in a pig, you need big stroke low rpm grunt. The low end setup will be far more fun. The high revver will cost you thousands in valve train, you'll need a large stall to get rolling out, kiss towing goodbye, you'll need high gears and the stall to keep the rpms high at all times. Just all around terrible for a heavy truck.

Either take a 6.0 iron block and stroke it and bore or do a 6.2

I planned out and mapped out a build for a long time and I was going to get a NNBS so that it already had the good intake large tb and good 243 heads and I was gonna do a 6.0 block and bore it 4.065 so I could use OE stock cast LS3 pistons and save a lot of money. Just gotta figure out which rod to use with it.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:15 PM
Launching!

My 9000RPM dreams are killed man! Haha I know it doesn’t make sense, I’ll have to stick to the original plan.

Heavy vehicle = more displacement

Hope this helps the OP.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:02 PM
Launching!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I always build the car then add power, brakes chassis suspension headers exhaust then cam, nitrous or turbo. So basically I do it the same way.

For you a high revving destroker is polar opposite of what you need in a pig, you need big stroke low rpm grunt. The low end setup will be far more fun. The high revver will cost you thousands in valve train, you'll need a large stall to get rolling out, kiss towing goodbye, you'll need high gears and the stall to keep the rpms high at all times. Just all around terrible for a heavy truck.

Either take a 6.0 iron block and stroke it and bore or do a 6.2

I planned out and mapped out a build for a long time and I was going to get a NNBS so that it already had the good intake large tb and good 243 heads and I was gonna do a 6.0 block and bore it 4.065 so I could use OE stock cast LS3 pistons and save a lot of money. Just gotta figure out which rod to use with it.
I agree, you will want more torque with a heavy CCSB.... Trust me, 6500 rpm sounds like a monster if you build it right....
Old 03-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Launching!

My biggest problem is my stock LMG series 2007 engine will not die. It’s completely stock and the truck only has a tune from Blackbear. So far it’s taken out a rearend (replaced by a 14 bolt s/f), and a transmission (replaced w/ a fully built 4l65).

I’m almost at the point where I’m thinking it would be cool to do a full rebuild w/heads & cam plus all the longevity parts then put a million miles on it.
Plus an LSA blower for fun at some point.
It’s just my family wagon, not a race truck. These 4 & 5th gen LS engines are putting GM outta business, the rest of my truck looks damn good in my opinion and I have zero incentive to buy anything newer than 2013...ever.
Attached Thumbnails Want my truck faster-2c5db574-4129-423d-bfa1-28518add6f1a.jpeg   Want my truck faster-121e1392-cb56-46c5-a114-958032de69d7.jpeg  

Quick Reply: Want my truck faster