INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Want my truck faster

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Most DD their trucks.

Make a burban faster.. man you picked a pig to play with. I'd 6.0 swap it, raise compression, small cam, headers and better flowing muffler, lowering kit (spindles on the front) and whatever on the rear and get sway bars. Get with tech@ws6 store about a ported dorman intake for it. A small stall converter would be fun too. Then a good tune. Put some decent wheels and tires on it (lightweight with good tires, not big chrome blinged out ****)

Or just throw a turbo on it.

Then build the trans to take all the above

Put front rotors and calipers on it from a 07-13 truck (13" rotors vs 12")

Lighten it up anywhere you can, light spare, pull extra seats..

Then get ready for 12 mpg or less avg cause you been driving fun instead of for MPG.
LOL! Thanks for the reply.

I've always been a Burb guy. I've had a few pickups but they don't "speak" to me like Suburbans do. The C10 I have was inherited from my dad. This is actually my 3rd Burb. I've owned the previous 2 body styles as well.

Hmm... I like what you have there. I considered a swap to the 6L or 6.2L, but I talked my way into a brand new engine at 104K when I bought it a couple of years ago. I've been eyeing 4/6 drop kits/sway bars/etc, and I actually switched back to my set of PPV Tahoe steelies after riding around on 22" CK156 reps for about 6 months. The idea of a turbo Suburban is almost mouth-watering.

I'm not too concerned with mileage (obviously, right, with the Suburbans LOL) but I'm happy with the ~17 that I get now.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Sideways the Seven
LOL! Thanks for the reply.

I've always been a Burb guy. I've had a few pickups but they don't "speak" to me like Suburbans do. The C10 I have was inherited from my dad. This is actually my 3rd Burb. I've owned the previous 2 body styles as well.

Hmm... I like what you have there. I considered a swap to the 6L or 6.2L, but I talked my way into a brand new engine at 104K when I bought it a couple of years ago. I've been eyeing 4/6 drop kits/sway bars/etc, and I actually switched back to my set of PPV Tahoe steelies after riding around on 22" CK156 reps for about 6 months. The idea of a turbo Suburban is almost mouth-watering.

I'm not too concerned with mileage (obviously, right, with the Suburbans LOL) but I'm happy with the ~17 that I get now.
There's a guy that did a drop in truck cam (you don't have to do valve springs pushrods or timing chain) stage 2 I think in a 2500 suburban on LS1tech. He was pretty happy with the results. Maybe just do the drop in cam lower it and throw some sway bars at it.

Hell a 2/2 drop kit would be nice even. I have some 2" drop spindles for it that i'm looking to sell if you're in the dallas area and interested. I bought them for my 04 but I sold it last month and never put them on. Mcgaughys spindles for 17" wheels
Old 02-22-2018, 09:06 AM
Teching In

There's a guy that did a drop in truck cam (you don't have to do valve springs pushrods or timing chain) stage 2 I think in a 2500 suburban on LS1tech. He was pretty happy with the results. Maybe just do the drop in cam lower it and throw some sway bars at it.

Hell a 2/2 drop kit would be nice even. I have some 2" drop spindles for it that i'm looking to sell if you're in the dallas area and interested. I bought them for my 04 but I sold it last month and never put them on. Mcgaughys spindles for 17" wheels
Cams is one of the first things I'd like to do after the drop, sways, and headers.

Are the spindles for the '04 the same as the NNBS? I thought they were different
Old 02-22-2018, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Cams is one of the first things I'd like to do after the drop, sways, and headers.

Are the spindles for the '04 the same as the NNBS? I thought they were different
**** you have an 07. I have no idea where I got the idea yours was older. Forget the spindles and forget the mention of the intake manifold. Your manifold is pretty good already. Small cam headers drop sways = **** burban

Check with btr on their stage 1 and 2 drop in truck cams. I'd probably go stage 1 and keep the most low end. Or stage 2 and a small stall for it to really be fun.

The 4l60 first gear is so long, a stall really wakes them up. I didn't know how shitty it was till I got a 6l80 truck, huge difference in take off. Plus there's a lot less dead spots with the 6l80. The 4l60 sucked from a stop did okay from a 30 and from a 70. 6l80 is great from dead stop, 20-30, 45 ish-50, 70+
The following users liked this post:
Sideways the Seven (03-05-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an 03 Tahoe 2wd, 4L60, 3:42, G80. I'm getting ready to build a 5.3 with a TSP stage 2 truck cam & springs, k&n in factory box, 3" Magnaflow on factory exhaust, tune. It currently has 200k mi. but it came out of Fla. a couple years ago so it is very solid, rust free. It is my DD and then I'll give it to my daughter in a couple years when she starts driving. Should be picking up block tomorrow. Should be a nice spring project and ready to run for summer, til the trans *****.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I've been eyeing 4/6 drop kits/sway bars/etc, and I actually switched back to my set of PPV Tahoe steelies after riding around on 22" CK156 reps for about 6 months. The idea of a turbo Suburban is almost mouth-watering.
A local guy to me bought a black suburban LTZ for family duties and did something similar. Mild drop, PPV push bar, PPV steelies and the blue stripe front tag. Looks like an official Secret Service type vehicle. Very cool. Silver or white would probably have a similar effect. The only thing missing is the A-pillar spot light. I suggested he turbo charge that too.
Sideways the Seven (03-05-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by matts01z71
I've got an 03 Tahoe 2wd, 4L60, 3:42, G80. I'm getting ready to build a 5.3 with a TSP stage 2 truck cam & springs, k&n in factory box, 3" Magnaflow on factory exhaust, tune. It currently has 200k mi. but it came out of Fla. a couple years ago so it is very solid, rust free. It is my DD and then I'll give it to my daughter in a couple years when she starts driving. Should be picking up block tomorrow. Should be a nice spring project and ready to run for summer, til the trans *****.
Sounds like a blast, oughta be fun. Mileage doesn't ever concern me, I've always been low budget and for 20 years have modded cars with high miles. And it's never bit me either. Mileage doesn't concern me much, how the car has been treated does (fluid changes for example)

Originally Posted by BudRacing
A local guy to me bought a black suburban LTZ for family duties and did something similar. Mild drop, PPV push bar, PPV steelies and the blue stripe front tag. Looks like an official Secret Service type vehicle. Very cool. Silver or white would probably have a similar effect. The only thing missing is the A-pillar spot light. I suggested he turbo charge that too.
I like that suggestion, I'd like to turbo everything if I could.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:10 AM
Teching In

**** you have an 07. I have no idea where I got the idea yours was older. Forget the spindles and forget the mention of the intake manifold. Your manifold is pretty good already. Small cam headers drop sways = **** burban

Check with btr on their stage 1 and 2 drop in truck cams. I'd probably go stage 1 and keep the most low end. Or stage 2 and a small stall for it to really be fun.

The 4l60 first gear is so long, a stall really wakes them up. I didn't know how shitty it was till I got a 6l80 truck, huge difference in take off. Plus there's a lot less dead spots with the 6l80. The 4l60 sucked from a stop did okay from a 30 and from a 70. 6l80 is great from dead stop, 20-30, 45 ish-50, 70+
LOL! I figured you were thinking I had a NBS. No worries.

Yeah, thanks for the heads' up on the cams, I'm looking into them now. I'm also eyeing NORCALSS's "handling package". Seems like it has just about everything I'd want to do to mine suspension-wise.

The 4L60 has a TON of dead spots. I've been trying to decide between building it and adding a decent stall or swapping to a 6L80/90

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Nice. I kinda wish I'd gotten black instead of grey, but, after having a black Silverado previously, I'd gotten tired of the constant care daily driving a black car requires.

I'm leaning towards turbo > supercharging. I understand the pros and cons of each, but I prefer the turbo.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:53 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL! I figured you were thinking I had a NBS. No worries.

Yeah, thanks for the heads' up on the cams, I'm looking into them now. I'm also eyeing NORCALSS's "handling package". Seems like it has just about everything I'd want to do to mine suspension-wise.

The 4L60 has a TON of dead spots. I've been trying to decide between building it and adding a decent stall or swapping to a 6L80/90

Nice. I kinda wish I'd gotten black instead of grey, but, after having a black Silverado previously, I'd gotten tired of the constant care daily driving a black car requires.

I'm leaning towards turbo > supercharging. I understand the pros and cons of each, but I prefer the turbo.
If you can do a 6Lx0 that would be sweet. Plus from what I've seen they can handle a lot more power so a stock one may hold as well or better than a built 4L

Stalls really wake up an auto, but they also **** gas out the tailpipe

I feel ya on the black car thing, I don't miss it. Except on those days that it was just cleaned.

I'm a big turbo fan myself, but with the weight of the truck and a need for low end/instant hit, I was looking at the LSA swap before I sold my truck.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I can see a stall killing MPG’s if it’s not tuned, or a massive stall.

Personally, I went with a 2600 on my 07 nnbs crew cab—had it tuned properly, and it drives like 100% stock (no change in MPG) until my foot hits the floorboards. My truck has a 4l65, no 6 Speed here.

Next stall will be a 2800 minimum. It’s a must for any crew cab or suv IMO.
Sideways the Seven (03-06-2018)

Quick Reply: Want my truck faster