INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Rear Main leak Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Main leak Help!!!

Alright i had the block line bored and other machining and i have had a leak since. I have replaced the gasket and the seal 2 times and its leaking again.
Its a 6.0l stroked to a 408 eagle 4.0 crank w/ a stock 5.3l rear main cover.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by charlie_riggs
Alright i had the block line bored and other machining and i have had a leak since. I have replaced the gasket and the seal 2 times and its leaking again.
Its a 6.0l stroked to a 408 eagle 4.0 crank w/ a stock 5.3l rear main cover.
A few things come to mind and will just have to be verified:
1st - anytime a block is align bored, the crankshaft very slightly moves up in the block and the rear seal/cover will need more care in aligning the seal to the crank and not just down to the pan rail.

2nd - If you possibly picked up (p/n 1261566) with housing and seal installed, it could have came with the seal installed backwards. Careful inspection will show that the seal lip is facing outward. Disregard the printed “this side out” on the side of the seal. The lip should be on the inside, or on the reluctor side of the crankshaft. The aftermarket followed the same prints when they developed a replacement. National Seal p/n 100085 and Victor p/n JV1657 are installed in the housing the same way. You need to turn the seal around before installation if you find this is the case.

3rd - Some of the Eagle cranks in the past have had issues with the rear core plug of the crank coming loose and leaking, causing what people think are rear main leaks. You said you have had this issue for awhile, so you may really want to look into this, unless you just know for a fact that it is a leaking seal.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe your rear plate not aligned properly? There is a special tool to align it.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:44 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Bear
A few things come to mind and will just have to be verified:
1st - anytime a block is align bored, the crankshaft very slightly moves up in the block and the rear seal/cover will need more care in aligning the seal to the crank and not just down to the pan rail.

2nd - If you possibly picked up (p/n 1261566) with housing and seal installed, it could have came with the seal installed backwards. Careful inspection will show that the seal lip is facing outward. Disregard the printed “this side out” on the side of the seal. The lip should be on the inside, or on the reluctor side of the crankshaft. The aftermarket followed the same prints when they developed a replacement. National Seal p/n 100085 and Victor p/n JV1657 are installed in the housing the same way. You need to turn the seal around before installation if you find this is the case.

3rd - Some of the Eagle cranks in the past have had issues with the rear core plug of the crank coming loose and leaking, causing what people think are rear main leaks. You said you have had this issue for awhile, so you may really want to look into this, unless you just know for a fact that it is a leaking seal.
That's excellent info
Old 12-06-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where do you get tool???
Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Bear
... 3rd - Some of the Eagle cranks in the past have had issues with the rear core plug ...
is a core plug not what i think it is/

if it is what i think it is, why would a forged crank have one/

or maybe is it an oil passage plug/
Old 12-07-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
is a core plug not what i think it is/

if it is what i think it is, why would a forged crank have one/

or maybe is it an oil passage plug/
It is what you think it it, but in this case the forged crank still has machining performed to it, in which case they rifle drill the mains and when they do, it leaves a hole that has to be plugged.

Last edited by 1Bear; 12-07-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a leak somewhere, when I change the flexplate soon I will check the plug. That would be an easy fix. How do you determine that this plug is the definite source of a leak? I mean, I imagine that if the main were leaking there will be oil on the plug, and vice versa.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should be able to tell when you pull the convertor back if the hole in the back of the crank is full of oil. A leak from the main seal wouldn't travel around and into the area behind the snout of the convertor.

Here you can see the core plug in the rear of the crank and in the picture to the left you can see a couple of the main journals where it it has been rifle drilled. This was an LS1 crank.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Veteran

OK, I would have thought it was a threaded plug, but I can't tell what it is. Pressed in? How is it remedied?

Quick Reply: Rear Main leak Help!!!