INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Ls3 swap into my 06 rcsb

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 09:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ls3 swap into my 06 rcsb

Hello all first time posting, long time lurker lol. So I have a 2006 rcsb Sierra. Currently I have a stock Lq9 6.0 in it but want some more power, shocking right. I'm seriously looking into getting the LS3 376/430 crate motor, the price is almost to good to pass up for a complete brand new GM performance motor compared to how much I would spend to upgrade heads cam and intake on my current motor. I was wondering if anyone has done this swap and could help me with all the modifications necissarry IE; reluctor wheel 58x to 24x, knock sensors, cam sensor and I'm sure there's more. I'm going to use a l92 truck intake manifold. I have a complete TBSS manifold with fuel rail ,42# ls7 injectors and 87mm throttle body. I'm hoping that I can use the injectors and fuel rail from that mani onto the l92 mani. I also plan on putting a cam in it before it get transplanted. I know some will say to keep the lq9 but I think my wife wants me to replace her 4.8l in the Tahoe with the 6.0. Anyways any help will be greatly appreciated. I just want to know exactly what I'm looking at before I attempt this swap purchase the motor.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

Well i cant speak for swapping in a complete LS3 into your truck but I can give information on if you kept the lq9. I am dang near about to fire up my lq9 that i have swapped ported ls3 heads, ls3 intake, custom grind cam setup. I can give information on if you wanted to go that route but you prob wont.
Old 07-17-2015, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Are you using the l92 truck intake manifold? What throttle body are you going to use?
Old 07-17-2015, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

i did almost a month long debate with teh l92 vs ls3. I ended up going with teh ls3 intake for the purpose of bigger power at higher RPM from what i read. The throttle body I just got a 92mm off ebay. Wasnt a brand name, but it was stil pretty nice for 100 bucks. If i went with a brand name prob nick williams, but my off brand looks exactly like it adn didnt spend 350 for it.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Yea I'm not going to be high in the rpms much and want more low end so that's why I'm going to use the l92 intake mani, and I also didn't want to have to get all new drive accessories, just wanted to use my truck accessories that I have . The reason I ask is because I read somewhere that only one of the two Gm style 90mm throttle body's will work because one of them opens the wrong direction. Not sure if it was the gold blade or the silver blade?? Are you using a x link harness for the throttle body?
Old 07-17-2015, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

no im not using a x-link. Just a drive by cable throttle. I have never heard of there being two different styles, i thought they were all the same.
Old 07-17-2015, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Oh ok.

Need to pick the brain of someone who has done this. There has got be someone that knows...
Old 07-18-2015, 06:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The silver blade opens backwards. Its supposed to work the best with a x link. Gold blades do work with a xlink. I have 2 goldblades. Both worked on a '07 z06, but only one would work with my x link.

Edit*

Nick Williams tb only works with the 6 pin harness. So you'd need the xlink still. Just fixing bad info...

Last edited by zero2sixT; 07-18-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The_W
i did almost a month long debate with teh l92 vs ls3. I ended up going with teh ls3 intake for the purpose of bigger power at higher RPM from what i read. The throttle body I just got a 92mm off ebay. Wasnt a brand name, but it was stil pretty nice for 100 bucks. If i went with a brand name prob nick williams, but my off brand looks exactly like it adn didnt spend 350 for it.
So did you use all the ls3 car drive accessories since you went with the car intake manifold?
Old 07-18-2015, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zero2sixT
The silver blade opens backwards. Its supposed to work the best with a x link. Gold blades do work with a xlink. I have 2 goldblades. Both worked on a '07 z06, but only one would work with my x link.

I'd honestly buy the nick Williams tb. It's expensive but you don't have to deal with the xlink.
Ok cool thanks for the info on the Throttle body's

Quick Reply: Ls3 swap into my 06 rcsb