INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

I Know That We All LOVE Cam Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 04:08 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I Know That We All LOVE Cam Questions...

...so, here's one that I haven't seen asked...

Since I've been home for the past few weeks waiting for my hernia surgery on Tuesday, my "Virtual LQ9 Build" has been quite busy (It's "virtual" since I don't have any dough to make it a reality. ) But, considering that if I ever can budget this build, I'll have to do it as cheaply as I can (while still using the best parts available), I'm going to have to stick with my current exhaust and intake, which consists of the stock truck intake (which will have the necessary larger injectors of course), and my StainlessWorks LT's, which have 1 3/4" primaries, 2.5" collectors, and a 2.5" y-pipe with empty cats. (it kinda looks like a merge collector as the cats are right after the small collectors, and open up to over 3" internally). This goes into a 3" y-pipe back exhaust, with a 3" DMH cutout, and an 18" 5x8 Magnaflow, dumped over the axle.

Another consideration will be static vs. dynamic compression ratio...I already have unmilled WCCH StageII 317's, that I plan to mill somewhere between .030 and .040. Richard told me that milling them about .036 will bring the static compression ratio up to about 10.6...so keep that in mind. I'm thinking that if I go too big on the cam, I will bring my dynamic compression ratio down too much and not maximize the combo, and leave a lot on the table considering the stock intake and less than best exhaust.

Soooo...how big of a cam are you 6.0 guys running with the stock intake and so-so exhaust systems, and what are your compression ratios, if you know them?

For a while I've been thinking that some sort of 224/228 or 224/230, either on a 112 or 114 with .58x lift is what I want, but I'm thinking that might not be the match for my intake and exhaust, and would probably be best matched with 11:1 compression. I'm sure that it will run good, but I'm an **** bastard and want to match the components that I already have as best as possible, so lately I've been considering something along the lines of 220/224 .58x/.58x 112 or 114. I really like the looks of the Crane/Vinci Stangbanger, along with their 1.8 Gold Quick Lift rockers (220/224 .551/.551 <.583/.583 w/1.8's> 114).

Also keep in mind, my torque converter currently flashes to about 2800-3k behind my current mild 5.3 and 3.73's, but I plan to do 4.10's since both my front and rear diffs are in need of repair anyway. I figure that the same verter will flash to around 3200ish behind the LQ9.

Sorry about the long winded post, but I like to offer as much info as possible to try and get the best responses as possible

Thanks folks!
BH3

Last edited by budhayes3; 08-06-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Just my opinion from someone who's been DD'ing a 222/226 for over 15 months now, go bigger than 220s. My cam is a good "overall" cam, but it really dies off up top. Especially, if you aren't going to be daily driving your truck, I'd go bigger and take advange of those heads.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:30 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
Just my opinion from someone who's been DD'ing a 222/226 for over 15 months now, go bigger than 220s. My cam is a good "overall" cam, but it really dies off up top. Especially, if you aren't going to be daily driving your truck, I'd go bigger and take advange of those heads.
Cool, thanks Michael...I've also been considering a Vinci grind with specs similar to yours (222/228 .585/.585 114). Forgot to mention that the truck is back to being my daily, as I may be "loaning" my Blazer to my gf's son. I'm basically looking for a good overall cam, that is as perfectly matched to my setup as possible. IIRC, you're running some big ARH headers on yours...still on the stock truck intake? (I thought that you had a TBSS too, but can't remember)

What RPM does your truck stop pulling?

*EDIT* I should also mention the the WCCH StageII 317's show their best flow numbers around .575 lift, so I think that a cam that checks in the .58x range should work well with them, even if the duration is down a bit

Last edited by budhayes3; 08-06-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Billy sell off some more parts and get the TBSS intake while your at it mines pretty much ready !!

Old 08-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Mod with training wheels

Received 202 Likes on 138 Posts

Hey now, I run a 222/226 and it has plenty of high end. Granted, the air is forced in
Old 08-06-2011, 06:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

hell just throww an ms3 in there n be done
Old 08-06-2011, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Cool, thanks Michael...I've also been considering a Vinci grind with specs similar to yours (222/228 .585/.585 114). Forgot to mention that the truck is back to being my daily, as I may be "loaning" my Blazer to my gf's son. I'm basically looking for a good overall cam, that is as perfectly matched to my setup as possible. IIRC, you're running some big ARH headers on yours...still on the stock truck intake? (I thought that you had a TBSS too, but can't remember)

What RPM does your truck stop pulling?

*EDIT* I should also mention the the WCCH StageII 317's show their best flow numbers around .575 lift, so I think that a cam that checks in the .58x range should work well with them, even if the duration is down a bit
It seems to stop pulling at 6100 or so. Shift point is 6400 1-2, and it seems like once you hit 6000 rpms or so you're just waiting for that shift to come while the engine is whining away.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:18 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by bennettracing
Billy sell off some more parts and get the TBSS intake while your at it mines pretty much ready !!

Man, I'd love to do that, but I've just about run out of parts to sell and if I do, I need that money for rent and child care. I actually made a pile on my bench the other day, and it seems like the junk that I do still have isn't very desirable here. I'm going to have to get on ebay or craigslist I suppose (not a big fan of that )

Your engine looks ****, and the intake looks like original equipment (not all hacked together), that's how I like it.

I had been really impressed with the dyno sheets that I saw on the FAST LSXrt, but unfortunately, just like everything else that comes from Comp, it appears that there are quality control issues and more than one member here have had problems with them

If you don't mind me asking, how much dough do you have wrapped up in the intake, throttle body, plumbing, etc? It really does look awesome on your mill...can't wait to see the end result!

Originally Posted by smokeshow
Hey now, I run a 222/226 and it has plenty of high end. Granted, the air is forced in
Yeah, I'm sure that you have plenty of high end, low end, and middle end

Originally Posted by 06murder
hell just throww an ms3 in there n be done
Oh snap, now we're talking! Tell ya what, send me the TBSS setup, some ARH 1 7/8's, and a 4" cat back with DMH cutout (that thing is so much fun ), and I'll FIND the money somewhere for the cam and a re-stall on my Cirlce-D *EDIT*, might need to swap my 317's for some 243's to get the compression that I want with that cam...or some domed pistons, if it'll still have the necessary ptv clearance

Last edited by budhayes3; 08-06-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:24 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

It seems to stop pulling at 6100 or so. Shift point is 6400 1-2, and it seems like once you hit 6000 rpms or so you're just waiting for that shift to come while the engine is whining away.
Ahhh, OK...hmmm...something to consider. Well, since my truck is going to see double duty, that might not be so bad for me. I mean, if it was going to spend more time at the track and less time on the road, then I'd want something that pulls to 6500-6800.

Your cam has over .600 lift, and is on a 113 IIRC? Do you know what the ICL is? (how much advance is ground in to the cam?)

Still running the stock intake? An upgrade there might help up top a bit
Old 08-06-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Stock intake, I don't think is a restriction. People are running plenty fast with it N/A

The cam is on 113 if I remember right and I think it has 4 degrees of advance ground in.

Quick Reply: I Know That We All LOVE Cam Questions...