INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Cam Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 12:05 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
for what he's looking for, his truck needs it's powerband to be mostly in the mid range for it to pull hard. his converter is plenty enough to take care of the bottom end. why have a cam that only pulls way up top when the aerodynamics have already taken over?

there is no need to explain myself anymore.
just stop reading all the hype and dyno #'s on ls1tech.
im speaking experience. he has a 3600 so he has the stall to use with the larger cam. the MS4 makes more power then the one he has now.

ok then explain why the RGV guys are big cammed, big gear and big converter and are probably the fastest around and making the most power? cause it works and has always worked.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCtrk
I'm calling bullshit on this. A 1976 454 Sierra beating a cammed LS1 camaro?
There's no replacement for CFM. Learn this one day and you'll be for the better.

PM me if you'd like me to elaborate more on the Sierra. I'm not going to wh0re up this thread any further.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by InchUp
There's no replacement for CFM. Learn this one day and you'll be for the better.

PM me if you'd like me to elaborate more on the Sierra. I'm not going to wh0re up this thread any further.
CFM works yes. but not all 454 flow. plenty of small blocks flow more then the old pigblocks
Old 09-27-2008, 01:22 AM
12 Second Club

i've heard a lot of good things about the g5x3 v2. curios as to how well it would do
Old 09-27-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bluecajun5.3
for what he's looking for, his truck needs it's powerband to be mostly in the mid range for it to pull hard. his converter is plenty enough to take care of the bottom end. why have a cam that only pulls way up top when the aerodynamics have already taken over?

there is no need to explain myself anymore.
just stop reading all the hype and dyno #'s on ls1tech.

This man knows his stuff. He did get his blue brick to run 12.5x NA.

With a TR220...... not a big cam at all. MS4 may work well in a camaro, but not a heavy *** truck
Old 09-27-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

my only input will be if you decide to go with the MS4 dont try to use the .040 cometics. there will be piston to valve clearence issues. i think a stock mls gasket might work with the 243's and ms4.

i actually want to try the ms3 in my truck one day just as an experiment. i want to see exactly it will effect my 60' times and 1/4 times. i know the daily drivability will drop but my truck isnt exactly daily driven anymore. it will still be streetable but will have some NAAAASTY top end. the ms3 and ms4 cams are loaded with power. i wanted to try the ms4 but im not pulling my heads to do gaskets for a slightly better cam.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

i'd do a ms3, there is no loss in low end at the track with the right converter.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

If you don't want to go as big as the MS3 you could also look into the MTI X1.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 7845
ever driven a Trex car? ever raced one?
ever driven a Ms4 car? ever raced one?
you dont see any fast LS cars with low rpm bands and tiny cams.

Torque gets you going HP finishes the work.

just take a look on TSP or thunders site. see the results for the big dawg cams. then look on tech at the fastest car lists and see whos running what

if you say thats cars then look at the trucks from RGV all the big hitters are running what i just spoke of. gears, converter and big cams. its proven over and over again. racing been around for decades all fast rides run large converters, steep gears and large cams.
Bull ****. If you look and or research this, there are MULTIPLE cam only cars running low 11's with a 220/220 cam, or even a little 224/224 cam, thats with almost stock tuning, no need for large gears or any of that, plus a lot easier to drive around town. To the op, since you have the stall for it, that is a nice cam, and responds VERY well to nitrous if you run that.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by the_husk
Bull ****. If you look and or research this, there are MULTIPLE cam only cars running low 11's with a 220/220 cam, or even a little 224/224 cam, thats with almost stock tuning, no need for large gears or any of that, plus a lot easier to drive around town. To the op, since you have the stall for it, that is a nice cam, and responds VERY well to nitrous if you run that.
Ok bud, your right I guess the large cams dont make power or good times and we all should run the small cams cause thats were the power lies.. o and on top of stock tuning.. wow i guess having a tune doesnt help either

Quick Reply: Cam Suggestions