INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

Cam Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beastmode
The problem with the huge cams is this is going to be my daily driver... cams like the MS4 are out of the question. I need streetability... if Fbody guys are disputing the MS3 as streetable it would be ridiculous in a truck.
some ppl say a 224 is too much in a Fbody. quit being a pansey. a tune cures alot of issues with large cams. Ask talin he drove his Trex cars daily with no issues. that monte with teh ms4 drives like stock till you hit power band. you have to remember ppls tolerances if the truck is a true DD then stay baby cam like you have. if its more toy then DD then go donkey dick. in the end if you can tolerate it youll make the most power with the larger. but knowing you, youll go small, complain its not enough. or youll go large and say its too much.... your the type of person who needs a MAGGIE on his truck
Old 10-01-2008, 06:21 AM
Import Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7845
some ppl say a 224 is too much in a Fbody. quit being a pansey. a tune cures alot of issues with large cams. Ask talin he drove his Trex cars daily with no issues. that monte with teh ms4 drives like stock till you hit power band. you have to remember ppls tolerances if the truck is a true DD then stay baby cam like you have. if its more toy then DD then go donkey dick. in the end if you can tolerate it youll make the most power with the larger. but knowing you, youll go small, complain its not enough. or youll go large and say its too much.... your the type of person who needs a MAGGIE on his truck
Old 10-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by beastmode
see i know you O to well. keep your baby 3200 stall, find a GT2-3 or LS6 cam and pick up a MH112 i think is the number. this will work with your heads, you can sell the ls6 to chris. and youll be happy a True DD that would easily go 11s as you wanted. have instant torque where you could pull stuff and have good drivabilty manors. sell a horse or two, sell the cows rent the poodles and put wife on corner for awhile and get that maggie on there
Old 10-01-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Futral F13 on a 110 LSA +4
Old 10-02-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

if Stew runs low 12s on that cam, and that's your target, why change at all.

if you wanna run a different cam, get a torquey cam. the MS4 & high powerband cams will pull you on the topend. but you have to get the truck moving first.

and since your not running a powerglide, and you have 4 gears, no need to spin the motor to 8000rpms to get your peak power. I'd worry about torque, before i worried about top end cams.

For reference. The true way to size a stall converter, is to run your truck on a dyno, and find your torque peak rpms. The size your stall to that. If you keep going higher you'll be through 1st gear at 20feet.

P.S. people with big lift cams, are makin up for some other shortcoming *wink*.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by circusboy
Futral F13 on a 110 LSA +4
That is a 106 ICL?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Import Moderator

Originally Posted by AeroKing

if you wanna run a different cam, get a torquey cam. the MS4 & high powerband cams will pull you on the topend. but you have to get the truck moving first.

and since your not running a powerglide, and you have 4 gears, no need to spin the motor to 8000rpms to get your peak power. I'd worry about torque, before i worried about top end cams.

For reference. The true way to size a stall converter, is to run your truck on a dyno, and find your torque peak rpms. The size your stall to that. If you keep going higher you'll be through 1st gear at 20feet.

Good post

Ima stick with this cam
Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

after 5 pages you keep the thing?!
Old 10-02-2008, 10:34 PM

Received 222 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroKing

another angle to look at it...when i'm racing my truck is only below 5100-5200rpm for about 1.5 seconds, if that long...the rest of the run is spent between 5200 and 7000 rpm. a big converter/matched gears gets you out of the hole, then that big cam keeps pulling from 5k to 7k which is where i spend all of my time in 2nd and 3rd gear. so from about 30mph to 110 i am above 5200 the ENTIRE TIME... true drivability wont be as nice but still streetable in every aspect. in my case my truck is just a toy now so it wont bother me much. i think i just talked myself into a testing a MS3 here soon. it cant hurt to try. i may like it

i always wanted a choppier idle. i know that one will do it hahahaha.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
another angle to look at it...when i'm racing my truck is only below 5100-5200rpm for about 1.5 seconds, if that long...the rest of the run is spent between 5200 and 7000 rpm. a big converter/matched gears gets you out of the hole, then that big cam keeps pulling from 5k to 7k which is where i spend all of my time in 2nd and 3rd gear. so from about 30mph to 110 i am above 5200 the ENTIRE TIME... true drivability wont be as nice but still streetable in every aspect. in my case my truck is just a toy now so it wont bother me much. i think i just talked myself into a testing a MS3 here soon. it cant hurt to try. i may like it

i always wanted a choppier idle. i know that one will do it hahahaha.
Good points as well.
Mine starts to pull real hard around 4K and doesn't fall below 4300 RPM when it shifts. I shift at 6300 RPM. I will get my first runs on this setup tonight. running on 22's, lol.

Quick Reply: Cam Suggestions