INTERNAL ENGINE MODIFICATIONS Valvetrain |Heads | Strokers | Design | Assembly

6.0 build questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 06:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 build questions

Hey guys i got a 2002 2500hd 4x4 with the 6.0 and looking to do some upgrades. Had to replace head gaskets and decided to add hp while im here. Id like to see at least 400hp to the rear wheels and maintain a good daily driver. It will be done in stages so its not what will work the best with everything stock now but what will be best when its all together. id prefer for the hp to be in mid range (i think) because i dont really race the truck just want the power but correct me if it better to have low end or upper end power.

For heads i was thinking a set of 799s or 243s since i can get them for around $300.
For exhaust i want to do true dual 2.5" with longtubes and spin tech mufflers. I heard doing 3" duals will make me loose hp in lower to mid range
Cold air intake.

Heres where i need advice. i want to do a cam, intake manifold, pushrods, rockers, tune, and anything else you guys can think of. like i said i want AT LEAST 400hp to the wheels but i also drive over 5k miles per month up and down mountains.

What cam specs should i look for?
Will a ls1 or ls6 intake manifold add any hp?
What gains do people get from the 7.4 pushrods and how do they work?
I can find roller rockers with different ratios on ebay for less than $200 some as low as $100, are they worth it?
Who has the best tune for these trucks and how much hp will they add?
Will i gain anything from bigger injectors?

How much hp will the stock 243 heads add to a stock motor? and should i spend the money to mill and port my 317s rather than buy the 243s?

Sorry for all the questions but the truck is already apart and i want to start buying stuff today.
If anyone has anything that i would need for sale LMK.

Thanks guys
Old 08-19-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Personally, I think you're going to be very hard pressed to get 400 rwhp through your HD drivetrain, especially since you'll want to keep your power as you said within the working rpm range of an HD truck. You're going to need those 243s ported, and sounds like a cam in the mid220s range to keep power in the midrange.

The best option may be soemthing like a Magnusen supercharger.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Teching In

i guess mid to upper rpm range wouldnt be bad. Superchargers are kinda expensive i think, unless theres a cheaper option than ive seen. Whats the diff with the hd trucks and reg 6.0 motors?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-cheap-487271/
Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Praise The Lowered

What cam specs should i look for? 22x/22x .58x/.58x 112lsa
Will a ls1 or ls6 intake manifold add any hp? NO,but a 90mm TBSS will
What gains do people get from the 7.4 pushrods and how do they work?They gain strength over the oem ones..7.4 is the common LS size
I can find roller rockers with different ratios on ebay for less than $200 some as low as $100, are they worth it?NO stick with oem
Who has the best tune for these trucks and how much hp will they add?(ANY of the sponsors ( I have blackbear!) maybe 15-25 rwhp with mods
Will i gain anything from bigger injectors? Yes/no..more air (cai, headers,heads)= the need for more fuel

How much hp will the stock 243 heads add to a stock motor? The cr bump is prob worth 10-15 hp??

and should i spend the money to mill and port my 317s rather than buy the 243's? I would buy a new or used set of oem cnc castings

The Magnacharger is a good idea..They are perfect for a big heavy truck, and very reliable..I had one on my last truck and decided to do n/a on my current with a head/cam setup...either way would be fun..I would get a TR224 cam or get a hold of Geoff or PatG on LS1tech to spec you a cam..good luck
Old 08-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Teching In

Just saw that wife said no. lol
Old 08-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks Ribeiro. So with the 243s, cam, cold air intake and long tubes how much hp gain would i get? Im having a hard time finding the tbss intake.

Also id like to switch over to electric fans, what would i need to do that.

If i do everything mentioned above will i have enough flow to justify injectors?

Im about to order my head gaskets, if i get thinner gaskets( i see them as low as .027) how much would that bump cr and is it a good idea or no?
Old 08-19-2011, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FL_Cracker
Just saw that wife said no. lol
Ah, then you may want to rethink your mod plan. $2200 is a smoking deal on a blower. It will out perform your truck w/ 220s cam and stock 243s. And if you price out your mod list, it is even money...or damn near.

243s/799s - $400. Sometimes cheaper.
Injectors - $200
LT's - $500. Thats what I paid for LTs and ORY.
Cam w/ kit - From Texas Speed $500-$700. Might be able to save some money here, depending on what you buy used or new. Or what kind of springs you want.
TBSS intake - saw a complete one of Tbssowners for $350. Might be a high price. Im not sure. I bought mine '06 tbss intake for $120. TB for $80-100, can't remember. Then I went with ls1 style fuel rails. That jacked up the build price.

That puts you close to $2200. There is some give and take. Those are estimates.

You haven't even done the work yet. You still haven't got efans. And I'd want to go with a crank UDP. And it is assuming you are doing all the work. Even then, you're still running the massive, stock 80e torque converter.

Long story short, you're looking for +400 rwhp. Wont happen with those mods. The maggie is the best way to go.

Forgot the tune. I paid $400 for a dyno tune with a wideband. Not sure what cable tunes go for. I'd guess $250+
Old 08-19-2011, 11:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by zero2sixT
Ah, then you may want to rethink your mod plan. $2200 is a smoking deal on a blower. It will out perform your truck w/ 220s cam and stock 243s. And if you price out your mod list, it is even money...or damn near.

243s/799s - $400. Sometimes cheaper.
Injectors - $200
LT's - $500. Thats what I paid for LTs and ORY.
Cam w/ kit - From Texas Speed $500-$700. Might be able to save some money here, depending on what you buy used or new. Or what kind of springs you want.
TBSS intake - saw a complete one of Tbssowners for $350. Might be a high price. Im not sure. I bought mine '06 tbss intake for $120. TB for $80-100, can't remember. Then I went with ls1 style fuel rails. That jacked up the build price.

That puts you close to $2200. There is some give and take. Those are estimates.

You haven't even done the work yet. You still haven't got efans. And I'd want to go with a crank UDP. And it is assuming you are doing all the work. Even then, you're still running the massive, stock 80e torque converter.

Long story short, you're looking for +400 rwhp. Wont happen with those mods. The maggie is the best way to go.

Forgot the tune. I paid $400 for a dyno tune with a wideband. Not sure what cable tunes go for. I'd guess $250+

good breakdown was gonna do it earlier but had a few things to do prety much summed it up !!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Teching In

like i said this is just work in progress, plus to use the charger to it full potential i would need most of this stuff anyways like the cam, injectors, head work, long tubes. didnt say it wouldnt happen just not going to happen now.

243s $250
lts $250
intake $300

id be happy with that and maybe a cam for right now. If i go with a charger later ill have what i need and can sell the rest. This isnt supposed to be the "project" so i can tell her im just "replacing" parts with all this.

Quick Reply: 6.0 build questions