Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

When I think DI... I think of this

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before everyone tries to burn their service advisers at the stake, keep in mind these things are still braking in and the seals are still seating. What exactly would you have them do anyways, vent it to atmosphere?
Old 04-03-2014, 11:40 AM
RWC
Staging Lane

Noah, the catch can simply goes in line between the fitting on the front of the galley, which is also a check valve & the intake manifold, replacing the short tube between them now. This will allow the oil to separate from the "dirty" side of the PVC system before it goes into the manifold. The two 5/8" hoses from the valve covers are the "clean" side of the PVC system & air flow is from the air filtered side thru the engine, thru the catch can & back to the manifold for the 'blow-by" to be burned. Excessive blow-by flow, if any, that the small hoses can't handle reverses back into the intake tube. This becomes a bigger issue when boost is involved. Oil or water separation works on the same principal, I just modified the air unit to be more efficient using an aluminum "cup" filled w/ss shavings type filtering material similar to some of the better units for sale have. The oil "problem" is probably at its worst during break-in on new engines while the rings are seating, I just want to keep as much as I can off the valves from now on...
Old 04-03-2014, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Galley?

The valley cover?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

RWC sent me a couple more pics, ill load them tonight and host them. I am a little confused on it having a valley cover and intake port... along with both valve cover ports.

I think I would run dual cans with the new motors. Not sure how to include the valley cover port.

Pre turbo - can - pass valve cover port.

intake - check valve - can - driver valve cover port.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm goin to run one T'd with the two valve cover ports, I'll also look in to the intake to valley port.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:38 PM
RWC
Staging Lane

Choda, I may have confused you by calling it "intake manifold" (old school term). Here, the intake is before the TB & the manifold is after it. The valley port & manifold are connected by a short line from the factory. All the oil comes from the valley cover port, not the air intake lines to the valve covers. There is a check valve in the valley cover port that makes it flow one way. Another way to say it is "vacuum from the manifold pulls blow-by out of the valley, thru the whole engine along with filtered air that comes in the valve covers from the intake pipe", & then burns it. The catch can between the valley & manifold separates the oil from the other vapors, keeping it out of the manifold, in theory. It really is a simple hookup when you understand how it works.

I think you can now see that the valve cover port hoses do not go to the catch can. Seeing pics later may help.

Ron
Old 04-03-2014, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure you've got that wrong, most of the oil does come from the valve covers, what oil would be laying around in the valley to suck up?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I understand now but also question it. I would want the valve covers also going to a catch can. Correct me if I'm wrong but are your valve covers going to the plastic intake tube before the throttle body? I think this is pulling oil into the intake from the valve covers.

Last edited by Choda; 04-03-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:38 PM
RWC
Staging Lane

Noah, you're right in one respect, the least amount of oil in suspension is in the valley than anywhere else. That's why they take the vapors out there. If you still think you're right, check for oil in the intake before the TB, in the manifold after it and you'll see where the oil is coming from. The puddle in my pic is right below that odd looking tube & that is connected to the upper manifold port. I'm not saying that no oil vapor can come thru the valve cover ports, it will if there is more blow-by than the PCV system can normally handle. An example would be excessive blow-by caused by a supercharger...
Old 04-03-2014, 09:55 PM
RWC
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=Choda;5206904]I understand now but also question it. I would want the valve covers also going to a catch can. Correct me if I'm wrong but are your valve covers going to the plastic intake tube before the throttle body? I think this is pulling oil into the intake from the valve covers.

Yes they are, that's where they go on the factory setup...

There was no oil in the original intake tube. I found the oil & took the pics when I installed the new Airaid tube. Think about how it all works & flows again...ha