Notices
GMT K2xx Trucks General Discussion 2014+ Trucks | General Discussion

Truck buying help.........

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If you could have gone a little more you could of have a new 018 SLT crew sunroof 37k ish MSRP 54k
Old 11-21-2018, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Yeah- possibly, Gonz. But I'm happy, and I don't need the extra credits to unlock TCM so all good...…….
Old 11-21-2018, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

Be sure to post plenty of pics of the new truck. I really love that color! What do they call it?
Old 11-21-2018, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Absolutely on the pics, the color is called Crimson Red Tintcoat.. BTW- immediate plan is to spray some top end cleaner; is the vacuum hose to the brake booster still the ideal place for a quick hose down? Pic of stuff I plan on using...…………...

Old 11-21-2018, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
When my truck was stock, 4 cyl mode and all, I got around 11 mpg on e85 and 14-15 on gas, being nice to it. Now if I baby it I get 16 on e85 and 19-20 on gas. And the 4 cyl mode is turned off. If I'm real hard on it I get 10-11 on e85 and that's all I run anymore. Sad I get the same (within 1 mpg) driving the **** out of it with no 4cyl mode as I did when it was stock and drove normal.
Did you factor your drop into any of this? I'm not sure of the timing, but I can imagine that eliminating a lot of the air that was passing under the truck helped too.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001 Sierra
Absolutely on the pics, the color is called Crimson Red Tintcoat.. BTW- immediate plan is to spray some top end cleaner; is the vacuum hose to the brake booster still the ideal place for a quick hose down? Pic of stuff I plan on using...…………...

That stuff is probably okay but there is no brake hose on the LT motors. They run a dedicated vacuum pump to the brake booster.

I forgot to mention.. these new trucks make all kinds of noises that will freak you out. The vacuum pump makes a ticking sound at all times that sounds kinda like a lifter tap. There is a constant sound that when I got mine made me think I had a pulley bearing going out but they are all great, I put a new tensioner on it anyway but it didn't change. The vacuum pump belt and ac belt are stretch fit, they don't have a tensioner at all. The oil pump for the engine, especially when cold, makes a loud rasp sound when you first start it in the morning.

As for where to spray that cleaner, best is probably to either use the hose for the PCV or run through the throttle body. I used a setup that is made to mist the cleaner through the throttle body and leave the intake tube attached. It's a setup you'll only find in shops called a touchless throttle body cleaner. The setup we use is from Wynns.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Did you factor your drop into any of this? I'm not sure of the timing, but I can imagine that eliminating a lot of the air that was passing under the truck helped too.
No not really, I should have kept better tabs because I've often wondered how lowering a truck may benefit MPG, most people I say that too look at me funny, glad I'm not the only one that thinks of that. I did pay close enough attention that I will say I don't feel there was a change. Since I don't have tight controls on my MPG testing I only consider something a change when it seems to be a large difference, so if lowering helped it was within 1 MPG it appears. Mine isn't lowered much at all, not enough to make much of a difference. It's 0.9" down in the front and close to 3" down in the rear. I don't think the rear height is as important as the front, and since the front isn't even down a full inch, I doubt it changes much. But I'm with ya on the thought process. Also around the time I lowered it I was going between gas and e85 but I can say there wasn't enough change that anything jumped out at me.

The biggest change seemed to be after the muffler swap and flap delete. I had my mom and wife with me that day and stopped in the muffler shop and got it done real quick, we drove around dallas a lot that day and that was the first time I had ever seen 16 mpg on e85, up from 12-13 at best. The shocker was there was quite a bit of city driving that day. No change at all was made except the muffler and flap. I had been running e85 for a while before that and after. Then I repeated the 16 mpg many times on my normal work route. Then I just started driving the crap out of it all the time and getting 10-11 running e85 at all times and just having fun every day. But interestingly when it was bone stock and driving it mostly nice, here and there hard, it got 11. So, big change being able to drive the **** out of it and get the same mileage as stock being 90% nice to it vs 90% hard on it.

I really need to run gas more and see what it does.

I get frustrated with comparing though, we have a customer with a bone stock 5.3 crew cab and every time he comes in he's at 20-21 mpg average. It's also an 8 speed with michelin tires, tires make a considerable difference in MPG. I have "cheap" goodyears. They aren't cheap, but cost considerably less than michelin. I have no idea what his commute is like though.

Sorry for writing a book.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 546 Likes on 472 Posts

It's funny that GMC has to call it a different color than Chevrolet when they are the same paint code.

Crimson Red Tintcoat and Siren Red Tintcoat look to carry the same WA405Y paint color.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FFDP
It's funny that GMC has to call it a different color than Chevrolet when they are the same paint code.

Crimson Red Tintcoat and Siren Red Tintcoat look to carry the same WA405Y paint color.
Yeah= when I was looking around just for kicks I looked at a chevy and when I read Siren Red I thought it was a bright Arrest Me Red type of color...………….