Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

Setting Up My Rear Diff

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sand man
get a 9.5 and be done with it , or get the yukons, the best quality on the market these days
this truck will never see enough power or abuse to need a 9.5"
I rarely beat on it, but every once and a while you gotta have fun!
I saw the Yukon Gold sets, those were pretty pricey!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Contact Ron's machine service he's a sponsor here he'll hook u up he also has an eBay store where I bought with regards to the gears may have been the shop that installed them know way of knowing really!!!! This time I'm putting them in myself can't be that hard just done a lq4 swap lol
Old 10-09-2012, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nflddog1000
Contact Ron's machine service he's a sponsor here he'll hook u up he also has an eBay store where I bought with regards to the gears may have been the shop that installed them know way of knowing really!!!! This time I'm putting them in myself can't be that hard just done a lq4 swap lol
I'll send him an email sometime today and see what he can do. I'm not in a super rush to get the parts cause it may be a couple months before the install but I'd like to have them handy in case I do have the time suddenly
Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCunningham
that locker would put you in the ditch on snow ice covered roads
if you don't know it's there. if you know how it's gonna act it's no big deal. a tight enough posi to be a benefit on ice will do the same thing. i drive a 2wd truck up here and a locker's the only way it will get anywhere when it's nasty out.

the abs reluctor thing is valid for cars (impalas, caprices etc)
Old 10-09-2012, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Diff

I like the Yukon or the Tru-Trac with the Richmond gears. they worked
for me on many vehicles.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ron emailed me back and he has a Richmond excel gear set with master install kit for $255 plus $80 shipping to me. So in total for gear set and install kit it'd be $335. That's pretty good I think!
Old 10-09-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Even the Caprices and Impala's of yore don't have a reluctor wheel on the crown gear. They have a seperate little pickup gear that is on the pinion shaft.... makes them a PITA to regear and keep the ABS functioning.

I agree on the locker statement too..... If you don't know how to drive on ice it will put you in the ditch. Being in Calgary, meh, you don't get even the ice and snow I see generally so I wouldn't worry about it. I despise the TruTrac with a passion and stand by the fact I find it has no use in the back of a pickup truck. I have had tight clutch pack LSD's, the last being in my LT1 Caprice and it made the car in the winter time. It had 800 lb springs and acted just like a Detroit.... Was great in ice and snow with winter tires on the back.

OP is your truck just 2wd then? I assume so as I see no reference to a front differential anywhere. $335 is an excellent price for a gear set with install.... easily double that up here for the same parts.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1994Vmax
Even the Caprices and Impala's of yore don't have a reluctor wheel on the crown gear. They have a seperate little pickup gear that is on the pinion shaft.... makes them a PITA to regear and keep the ABS functioning.

I agree on the locker statement too..... If you don't know how to drive on ice it will put you in the ditch. Being in Calgary, meh, you don't get even the ice and snow I see generally so I wouldn't worry about it. I despise the TruTrac with a passion and stand by the fact I find it has no use in the back of a pickup truck. I have had tight clutch pack LSD's, the last being in my LT1 Caprice and it made the car in the winter time. It had 800 lb springs and acted just like a Detroit.... Was great in ice and snow with winter tires on the back.

OP is your truck just 2wd then? I assume so as I see no reference to a front differential anywhere. $335 is an excellent price for a gear set with install.... easily double that up here for the same parts.
Yes it is a 2wd. So no need for front diff parts. What was your bad experience with the tru trac?
I guess this is the issue with online forums. One person hates what the next loves haha. Your right about Calgary winter it's just stupid cold maybe a month of snow. And I do have winter tires too.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I watched this
and it does seem like itll do exactly what I need it to. there doesnt look like any chance of slipping during a donut or burnout cause those gears would lock up.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Truetrac's don't "lock up". They can't....... and is exactly what this style of carrier is not supposed to do. They simply shift power around based on traction. Works awesome on a road racing car where the design came from because it will shift torque from the unloaded wheel coming out of a corner to the loaded one. Hence it's design is a torque biasing, not a locking diff that simply gives 50/50 split all the time. So if you plan on roadracing your 2010 1/2 ton they are the carrier for you!

My experiences come from the Quaife diff.... which is what the Truetrac is a copy of. Peg legging.. not wanting to shift power on slippery surfaces without dicking around with the brakes and so on. Work fine for their application and design... but I found them utterly useless because I am a drap strip kinda guy. Some things I have personal experience with will differ from the usual forum koolaide.... this is one of them, lol.

Some people like them.... I don't. I like my rear diffs locked and it suits my driving style.

The only way you will know is to run whichever you choose and see if you like it.

Quick Reply: Setting Up My Rear Diff