Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

New setup......

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New setup......

Soo I just done the DOD delete and cam swap or I should say in the process of it. Be finished sometime in the morning. Someone ruffled my feathers when I heard that when I give it the initial start that it will be locked in 4 cyl mode until I get it tuned? Anyone heard of this or is this bologna?If this is the case, will it hurt to let the cam cycle through a couple heat cycles in 4 banger mode? I am done working for tonight on it, just looking for answers
Old 03-12-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mechanically the valves are going to operate normally, i.e., all 8 intake valves will open simultaneously. I haven't heard this about the 4 cyl mode on startup though, but if for some reason the computer decides to cut fuel and spark to 4 of the cylinders you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

That's what I thought.... Mechanically everthing will operate correctly. So my fingers are crossed on the 4cyl BS. BC I dont feel like putting it on a trailer to go to the dyno
Old 03-13-2011, 12:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How hard is it to do the DOD delete and cam? I want to do mines myself but I'm not too sure, I haven't done a cam before.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:13 AM
Launching!

pics of the dod delete and cam swap???
Old 03-13-2011, 04:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08cheyennesc
How hard is it to do the DOD delete and cam? I want to do mines myself but I'm not too sure, I haven't done a cam before.
i wouldnt touch a thing if you have no previous knowledge of a cam swap.

ive heard/read that the DOD delete and cam swap on these gen 4s are a pain
Old 03-13-2011, 05:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jg53
i wouldnt touch a thing if you have no previous knowledge of a cam swap.

ive heard/read that the DOD delete and cam swap on these gen 4s are a pain
it is ONLY a pita because you are pulling the heads to get to the lifters/trays vs just swapping springs/cam like in a Gen III. if you cant fit in the engine bay (where the radiator-efans/water pump normally are) then you are going to catch hell trying to torque the heads back down. thats the only pain in the swap. ive done a few DOD cam swaps in the truck, its not bad, just time consuming. plus the engine stand is a million times easier for a DOD cam swap, but who in the hell is going to pull the motor to do a cam swap on the engine stand
Old 03-13-2011, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

I have pics I will post when I get the chance. I am having problems uploading them.. But the DOD delete is pretty straight forward. The heads will kick your *** though! I had my heads off in 3 hours last night... Might I add this is the FIRST yes first cam in a LS based engine.. Im used to the old school. I have wrenched on everything since I was 5 but was scared to rip into my DD 08 with only 18k miles on her..
Old 03-13-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

cant be worried youll never wanna tinker if you are. but i think if you are going to change that much stuff (cam, heads, converter, gears) you need to know some stuff vs not even being able to change your own brakes ya know?
Old 03-13-2011, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Look how built up the pistons were! Engine has had nothing but premium run through it and its only got 18k miles on it...

Quick Reply: New setup......