Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

How to run 12s with 6.2L

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markislive78
You don't have to get a Denali to get the 6.2L. As of 09' 6.2's are availiable if it's a loaded 4 door...it's still a pretty penny but non-Denali. Hopefully all 6.0's are phased out in exchange for the 6.2L...

I want to get one of COMP's new VVT CAM's like it's nobody's business, just can't find anyone who has tuned an aftermarket VVT CAM. I don't want my daily driver to be a guinea pig. It seems like all the CAM'ed 6.2's deleted VVT. I'm a fan of embracing technology vs. getting rid of it. Hopefully the Camaro's new L99 motor causes more folks to learn VVT from a HPTuners/EFI Live standpoint. I tow a bunch so keeping VVT is very important to me...
with the price tag on those you might as well get the denali..

and im on the same boat you are with the vvt cam still have not heard or know anyone that has done a comp cam vvt swap yet..

P.S. i havent ran mine but i really hope mine runs at least somewhere near to what yours ran! props bro!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:21 PM
doesn't know what quit means

Originally Posted by graygmc
I am to the point now that I wont be doing any more performance stuff to my current truck. It is hard to make up a 90hp difference in the 5.3L to 6.2L. Hopefully one day I can afford a Sierra Denali. I guess from what I have found out I will most likely get a 2WD version now.
i can hook you up with a brand new 6.2
Old 01-05-2010, 05:24 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by CharlyNali6.2
P.S. i havent ran mine but i really hope mine runs at least somewhere near to what yours ran! props bro!
Thanks...Nothing to it, these thucks have so much potential...
Old 01-05-2010, 06:38 PM
TECH Regular

it won't take as much as you think! those mods u listed will get u in the 12s no doubt!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CharlyNali6.2
with the price tag on those you might as well get the denali..

and im on the same boat you are with the vvt cam still have not heard or know anyone that has done a comp cam vvt swap yet..

A couple of months ago, i was a real VVT pessimist too after installing my Mast VVT Truck cam and not being able to get any help with the tune.
However, I still believe that the VVT has real potential, especially in trucks, where you don't want to go too radical on cam specs anyhow.

FYI: GMHTP has done an install on the two biggest Comp VVT cams:

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...all/index.html

It would've been real nice if they had published exactly what they did with the tuning for the phaser. They do have a table on their phaser tune that I used for guidance to build my phaser curve. It must be working because my truck can now trap N/A what it used to stock (w/ just the CAI) on N2O (83mph) and runs 7mph faster on the spray since the cam change (90.5mph). We have been playing around with the tune on my truck for the last several months but I think we have the phaser tune sorted. According to what I've heard, most tuners seem to leave the phaser curve alone. Someone on here said that Mast didn't recommend changing the stock phaser tune, which figures, cause I couldn't get jack **** out of them with help on my tune after I bought their cam package.
We took a chance and built a custom curve for the phaser based on some info that Mast had published in 2007 about the effects of the VVT on a stock cam. Basically, I have the phaser coming in slowly to about 2.5 degrees at 4500, and then ramping up quickly to a maximum of nine degrees (retarded)at 6500. I still cannot say that it does any better than the stock phaser curve, though, because I've never tested it. Bear in mind that when you change the phaser curve it has an impact on the fuel and spark tables, so it will take a ton of patience and logging to get that sorted.
Maybe someone could convince GMHTP to publish their tune so that we could know what to do for the Comp VVT cams. For that matter, all of these application-specific EFI cams, especially the VVT cams, should come with some tuning instructions, IMHO. Thats my 2 cents...
Old 01-06-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont see why you couldnt with bolt ons/cam/stall, I was going to get the exact truck you listed but had to get an 09 wish I could have waited
Old 01-06-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why not just get rid of the VVT until they come out with advanced tuning for it? just a question sorry.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

how can i tell if my denali has the vvt?
Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i thought all 6.2s had VVT?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:45 AM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by iamkeniff
i thought all 6.2s had VVT?
Yup since 07 the 6.0 and 6.2 truck motors run VVT, must really benift low end. Now the 2010 6.2L Camaro has VVT when you opt for the A6 (L99), the manual tranny still comes gets non-VVT LS3...

Quick Reply: How to run 12s with 6.2L