How to run 12s with 6.2L

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my circle d 3200 an CAI dropped me from a 15.6 to a 14.8
Old 01-04-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am honestly not overly impressed with the Yank. I went from a 2.20 -2.25 60' to a best of 2.0X N/A. It may be because it's an AWD truck, but I don't feel that big kick in the pants that I felt with the little 2400 stall Vigilante that I had in my old '98 heads/cam Z28, and it is a lot looser converter, so go figure. I have noticed the same thing in two Heads/cam & Nitous C5 Vettes that a couple of my friends have. THe Vig. 4000 kicks the **** out of the Yank 4000 equipped Vette, even though they are supposed to have similar power. If it wasn't so hard to get at the upper bellhousing bolts, I would've yanked it out by now. I thought I was getting "yanked", but I feel like got screwed instead! Especially when you consider the amount of money and work involved.
I have heard nothing but good things about Circle D. Unfortunately, not until after I had bought the Yank. just my 2 cents...
Old 01-04-2010, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

must be a badass intake imo

lol
Old 01-04-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CI DENALI
I am honestly not overly impressed with the Yank. I went from a 2.20 -2.25 60' to a best of 2.0X N/A. It may be because it's an AWD truck, but I don't feel that big kick in the pants that I felt with the little 2400 stall Vigilante that I had in my old '98 heads/cam Z28, and it is a lot looser converter, so go figure. I have noticed the same thing in two Heads/cam & Nitous C5 Vettes that a couple of my friends have. THe Vig. 4000 kicks the **** out of the Yank 4000 equipped Vette, even though they are supposed to have similar power. If it wasn't so hard to get at the upper bellhousing bolts, I would've yanked it out by now. I thought I was getting "yanked", but I feel like got screwed instead! Especially when you consider the amount of money and work involved.
I have heard nothing but good things about Circle D. Unfortunately, not until after I had bought the Yank. just my 2 cents...
So 2wd Denalis hook better with slicks than AWD? Is the torque split 60/40, rear/front on the NNBS Denalis?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 08Chevy

lol
X-2... lol.. that intake doing wonders....
Old 01-05-2010, 08:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by graygmc
So 2wd Denalis hook better with slicks than AWD? Is the torque split 60/40, rear/front on the NNBS Denalis?
I think with the right drag radial/slick, the 2WD will hook better than the AWD and will run faster and quicker. I've seen a guy from Texas on You Tube that has a black 2wd Sierra Denali that runs 12.40's with just a (big)cam, CAI headers and drag radials. I think he is a member on here, if I'm not mistaken. The 2WDs certainly do run better (like 2-4 tenths), even on stock tires, from the factory, from what I have seen. I read somewhere that the torque split is like 62/38% FR/R, but I'm not certain.
I heard people say that my truck tends to spin the rear wheels more than the front off the line (on the N2O), but I'm not sure that's even possible. One thing is for sure, it spins the fronts plenty too, because I can get some serious torque-steer on the spray.
The problem with these trucks is that you reach a point where traction becomes a serious issue, because you can't find a slick or drag radial that's anywhere near stock height (31.8") that can fit a 17"-20" wheel and you can't go smaller on the wheel size, because of the size of the brakes. The TB boys are better off because their tires are smaller diameter from factory and a number of tire manufacturers now make a drag radial that is the right size for them. My stock wheels even look a bit small for those big wheel wells on my truck, so I can only imagine it would look like a giant roller skate with like 28" drag radials on it!
I've been contemplating putting 4.10's in my truck, which should make a big difference in the 1/8 over the stock 3.42s, but that would only worsen my traction problem.
Come on, tire manufacturers, give us something to play with too, Please!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 08Chevy

lol
seen the before and after results myself... its a TRUE cai, the filter is located in the fender and im sure the stall is to account for the majority of the lower et...
Old 01-05-2010, 10:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i ran my truck the same way i drive it everyday! 5480lbs with tools an me in it.
like skipperdaddy said its a true CAI.

Circle D website states up to .7 drop in the 1/4mile. so w.e yall wanna believe then believ it. the time slips dont lie.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am to the point now that I wont be doing any more performance stuff to my current truck. It is hard to make up a 90hp difference in the 5.3L to 6.2L. Hopefully one day I can afford a Sierra Denali. I guess from what I have found out I will most likely get a 2WD version now.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:39 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by graygmc
I am to the point now that I wont be doing any more performance stuff to my current truck. It is hard to make up a 90hp difference in the 5.3L to 6.2L. Hopefully one day I can afford a Sierra Denali. I guess from what I have found out I will most likely get a 2WD version now.
You don't have to get a Denali to get the 6.2L. As of 09' 6.2's are availiable if it's a loaded 4 door...it's still a pretty penny but non-Denali. Hopefully all 6.0's are phased out in exchange for the 6.2L...

I want to get one of COMP's new VVT CAM's like it's nobody's business, just can't find anyone who has tuned an aftermarket VVT CAM. I don't want my daily driver to be a guinea pig. It seems like all the CAM'ed 6.2's deleted VVT. I'm a fan of embracing technology vs. getting rid of it. Hopefully the Camaro's new L99 motor causes more folks to learn VVT from a HPTuners/EFI Live standpoint. I tow a bunch so keeping VVT is very important to me...

Last edited by markislive78; 01-05-2010 at 05:14 PM.

Quick Reply: How to run 12s with 6.2L