Notices
GMT 900 Trucks General Discussion 2007 - 2013 Trucks | General Discussion

2008 Silverado projector retrofit...

Old 12-22-2015, 10:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i baked mine in the oven and they split so easy that way. Plus going back together you can reheat them up and not use any new sealant. Great seal this way. By the way i didn't do quads, i used single FXR projectors. I am interested to see your results as well.

The video you followed there, i actually used that guy to do my first retrofit for me on my truck and had a terrible time with that set of lights, they never sealed properly and and had condensation in the lens plus they would end up getting standing water inside them! I wouldn't use that guy again imo.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vdrsnk04
i baked mine in the oven and they split so easy that way. Plus going back together you can reheat them up and not use any new sealant. Great seal this way. By the way i didn't do quads, i used single FXR projectors. I am interested to see your results as well.

The video you followed there, i actually used that guy to do my first retrofit for me on my truck and had a terrible time with that set of lights, they never sealed properly and and had condensation in the lens plus they would end up getting standing water inside them! I wouldn't use that guy again imo.

I tried to hear them the plastic was giving before the permaseal I have heard on aftermarket housing that you can bake them and just seal them better I'll try to seal them good. I'll keep you updated with pics just busy for the holidays so it might be some days
Old 12-22-2015, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

How did you get the fxr in such a small bowl did you have to tear apart the bowls??
Old 12-22-2015, 12:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 08Silveradojp
How did you get the fxr in such a small bowl did you have to tear apart the bowls??
yes, you have to custom mount them. So you take the bowls apart, cut them and mount the FXR. Then you have to cut that plastic backside for it to fit as well and epoxy a new pc of plastic in place of where you cut it to keep it sealed up perfectly lol. But it was worth it to me, the FXR output is phenomenal, and such a great cutoff line, so focused!
Old 12-22-2015, 01:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vdrsnk04
yes, you have to custom mount them. So you take the bowls apart, cut them and mount the FXR. Then you have to cut that plastic backside for it to fit as well and epoxy a new pc of plastic in place of where you cut it to keep it sealed up perfectly lol. But it was worth it to me, the FXR output is phenomenal, and such a great cutoff line, so focused!
I'm sure the only reason I backed out of fxr is be how difficult I read the ones I already had where do the fxr being bigger kinda scared me off did you have to grind down the radiator holder for the projector to sit properly?
Old 12-22-2015, 07:18 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Most definitely just ask trs. I asked the other day if they have had any clearance issues behind the projector which they say no but I the article I seen they do and aside from that I'll ask them how to tear it apart
Do you already have the D2S kit?
If not, another option is H1s, that's what I'm going to go with. I was considering going with the D2S but for the ease of installation and still great output, I'm going with the H1s.
I also have a small amount of room and don't want to have to cut too much. So, I'm playin it safe, hah. It is my first retrofit to.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tig
Do you already have the D2S kit?
If not, another option is H1s, that's what I'm going to go with. I was considering going with the D2S but for the ease of installation and still great output, I'm going with the H1s.
I also have a small amount of room and don't want to have to cut too much. So, I'm playin it safe, hah. It is my first retrofit to.

No I didn't already have them. I ordered the d2s when I researched and found that they where close performance wise on fxr and still being a mini and after searching the mini d2s is smaller than h1 I think it measured 5 1/2" long overall length and I think I'm not sure but the h1 is a hair longer and a hair thicker. But I'm not 100% sure maybe if u buy them soon we can compare measures with calipers. And it doesn't seem to hard to install I just need to find the time to actually start cutting and getting them mounted on the suspense is killing me to trust me.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:20 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

No I didn't already have them. I ordered the d2s when I researched and found that they where close performance wise on fxr and still being a mini and after searching the mini d2s is smaller than h1 I think it measured 5 1/2" long overall length and I think I'm not sure but the h1 is a hair longer and a hair thicker. But I'm not 100% sure maybe if u buy them soon we can compare measures with calipers. And it doesn't seem to hard to install I just need to find the time to actually start cutting and getting them mounted on the suspense is killing me to trust me.
Haha, trust me. I'm right there with yah. I think I'm actually stressing about it.
I actually made a mistake, I'm also getting the D2S'. This kit
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...l#.VnoE8GzSnIU
Old 12-22-2015, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tig
Haha, trust me. I'm right there with yah. I think I'm actually stressing about it.
I actually made a mistake, I'm also getting the D2S'. This kit
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...l#.VnoE8GzSnIU
I'm hoping to go cut them in about 20 minutes and I have all four projectors in give them a email they'll give you a 50$ discount code.... But besides that here's some pics of light and the projector itself just light output I guess I'll figure how to add more in a second
Attached Thumbnails 2008 Silverado projector retrofit...-image.jpg  
Old 12-23-2015, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

I'm sure the only reason I backed out of fxr is be how difficult I read the ones I already had where do the fxr being bigger kinda scared me off did you have to grind down the radiator holder for the projector to sit properly?
i don't blame you. no i didn't have to grind that down for them to sit properly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado projector retrofit...